Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
I have only sanded a couple of hats. Gentle and cautious would be the operative words. I used the finest sandpaper I have and with the sandpaper wrapped around a small Lincon log (remember those). I very gently sanded the spots. I made sure I took only a tiny bit off. The "divot" of the bite I just evened out, but not completely removed. I removed a small bit of about 1" around the bite to "even" the area. when I looked at the white butcher paper I put under the hat when I was sanding on it it had a tiny amount of fine dust. Steam and brushing followed. I sought to raise the "nap" of the sanded area. It worked so that I can not tell from a foot away the worked area. These were small moth bites-no divots.

Only my experience. I do not have sage advise. Perhaps other more experienced hat folks will chime in.

Eric -
Thanks, Eric. Neat procedure. I might experiment with one of my eBay disasters.
Thanks

40Cal

One Too Many
Thanks to all for the comment son my vtg. Stetson OR today.

Thanks sir.

Color? Perhaps. If the logic/experience learned from modern winchester beaver felts applies you are correct. For these vintage rabbit blend hats I do not know. I read the OR thread last night looking for details and did not get firm answers as to the felt. The dating details helped immensely. JTL's post really [rovided clarity when seeking the date of this hat. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-open-road-guild.7047/page-54#post-862653 I included the link so folks can see what tremendous knowledge is packed within the threads of this forum. Excellent!

Thanks sir. Serendipity assisted by continuous looking, as you well know.

Best to all, Eric -
Excellent link , Eric. I am endlessly fascinated by the history of these hats. Mine were easy to date... all three have the O.P.S. label still attached. What I find odd is that, even though all three of my OPS era Open Road hats were made within a three year period , each one is a little different than the other. Different textures and slightly different dimensions. All three are of different color felts. Makes me think the color may have something to do with it.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
From the way, WAY back machine on this date.
First, wearing Harv's favorite in my stable, the Lee Gold label checking out the venue prior to my daughter's wedding, 2015, and then on the hood of my AMC Gremlin on Hemenway Street in Boston, February 1977.

View attachment 66753

Please refrain from picking on my Gremlin...

Fame
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly high
I feel it coming together.

Sorry, too easy.....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

Last edited:

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Some of us never do, my friend. Welcome to the Lounge, GiCalhau. Dive right in, you're among friends here.

Nice hat!

Love it, Charlie! I once had a girlfriend with a Pacer. There was a lot of space inside those things. :rolleyes:
That's about as much info as we need Jim. Thank you. [emoji15]

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Northwest Hat Company
aa369d266bd841748581b63112be2873.jpg
7bd2026b7078820a18966bb5ff338134.jpg
fa4e67f69a8f9fd88898d14bf2afd61a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Looking good there Bob, looking good!!

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Grilling chicken thighs and drumsticks in preparation for guests tomorrow afternoon I changed to the vtg.Borsolino Misto.

i-XjgzxqL-M.jpg

Cheers to all on this glorious Saturday! Best, Eric -

All well and good, but what Porter or Stout are you drinking, that's the really important question [emoji41]

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
All well and good, but what Porter or Stout are you drinking, that's the really important question [emoji41]

Sir it is a Founders Porter. The Michigan brewery makes some of my fav beers.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/porter/ "Pours silky black with a creamy tan head. The nose is sweet with strong chocolate and caramel malt presence. No absence of hops gives Founders’ robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect. Cozy like velvet. It’s a lover, not a fighter."

A Saturday that I can choose what I wish to do includes a Founders Porter.

best, Eric -

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks,Michael.Its one of Deckard's experiments.I saw pic on his Instagram page last year and asked about availability.He referred me to JJ Hat Center in NYC.I checked their website just now and they still show six color combos.This one is cognac/green.
Thanks RJR. Now, decisions, decisions.
Michael

Chores today included filling the three bird big feeders. Surprising how 50#'s of seed disappears. The birds in my neighborhood are sated with seed. I wore a vtg. Stetson Bantam for my feeding chores. The Bantam is very lightweight and when I got inside I discovered that the hat crown and brim got banged around a bit and ended up changed from the creases I started with.

i-VSV4Ww6-M.jpg

i-VL5x98m-M.jpg

The lightweight felted hat is a terrific example of why vintage hats rule.

i-Zv4kgSb-M.jpg

I needed to pick-up groceries and head to the butcher shop and changed to a vtg. Stetson Avenue.

i-QQHt8Wv-M.jpg

i-2JcFwcv-M.jpg

Grilling chicken thighs and drumsticks in preparation for guests tomorrow afternoon I changed to the vtg.Borsolino Misto.

i-XjgzxqL-M.jpg

i-7Z69WKX-M.jpg

You're giving me whiplash, Eric! What an array of fantastic felt!! Your expression under the Misto tells it all!!

Chores today included filling the three bird big feeders. Surprising how 50#'s of seed disappears. The birds in my neighborhood are sated with seed. I wore a vtg. Stetson Bantam for my feeding chores. The Bantam is very lightweight and when I got inside I discovered that the hat crown and brim got banged around a bit and ended up changed from the creases I started with.

The lightweight felted hat is a terrific example of why vintage hats rule.

I needed to pick-up groceries and head to the butcher shop and changed to a vtg. Stetson Avenue.

OK, that's enough Eric. I'm getting a callous on my Like button thumb!

Tremendous selection today. The beer, too.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

A cloth sunroof Gremlin is on my short list of cars to own when I win the lottery.

It did have its advantages, Bob. There was almost nothing I couldn't fix. Probably should have written about this to the Peterson Vise Grip folks, but on my way from Boston to VT during an ill-advised late night trip in a snowstorm, the accelerator cable broke under the gas pedal. I just butted the two ends together, clamped on my always-at-the-ready 6" Vise Grip, and continued the next two hours home.

The hood (bonnet for some of you) had a nasty habit of flying up against the windshield, though. That was always exciting!!

Last edited:

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Sir it is a Founders Porter. The Michigan brewery makes some of my fav beers.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/porter/ "Pours silky black with a creamy tan head. The nose is sweet with strong chocolate and caramel malt presence. No absence of hops gives Founders’ robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect. Cozy like velvet. It’s a lover, not a fighter."

A Saturday that I can choose what I wish to do includes a Founders Porter.

best, Eric -
Sounds like a great beer. I really like a good Porter. This is a great Dutch one http://www.brouwerijkees.nl/Export_Porter_1750.html probably as unavailble in the U.S. as Founders is in Europe [emoji20]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails