Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
1940s Premier Stratoliner

482e315edfad3a8dc1f42427c3b6ad00.jpg

de95ab60bc70b309b931bbbdb1ae4917.jpg

d8179b5045ac4e5d5b130e9a41c28b2c.jpg

78c399e2413c93ede470b1771428ab99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking Panama, Red. I couldn't resist that old reference. Ha ha. Great color on the pug.

Michael

He'll steal your woman
Then he'll rob your head!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I curse each of you.

Damned song has been rattling around my head for 3 plus hours now...

Thanks.

Ugh.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
flat cap.jpg
Just my trusty Peter Grimm flat cap today. Spraying the orchard, so I couldn't wear my new porkpie (a pity, that). But, this leads me to my dilemma, about which I am about to bore you all to death.

I work on a farm. I love to wear my hats on the farm, my flat cap, Indy-ish thing, aussie/outback thing with the side brim snaps, bucket hats, weird stiff brim panama thing, generic straw sun hats, etc..., etc..., but no doubt, these hats all have seen better days, it does not take long to bust 'em up good, working on the farm. So, now, I actually went out and bought a decent hat for the first time (the porkpie I referenced earlier), and I desperately want to wear it to work. OK, truth be told, I have worn it every day since I got it, but I know I shouldn't!

So, should I say "hell with it", wear it to work until I "ruin" it? And, for that matter, can a hat ever be truly "ruined" by sweat stains, sun-fade, scuffs, etc? Or has it merely developed character? Or, since I am currently hooked on the whole porkpie thing, should I go out and buy another, perhaps less expensive, pork pie to wear on the farm? Perhaps a straw (although, some of those straw porkpies are VERY expensive)? Or cotton/fabric? Summer is coming, and a wool one might be a little warm.....

Oh, man, the AGONY!! What to do?? Heh. Thanks for the sympathetic ear, all!!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 74127 Just my trusty Peter Grimm flat cap today. Spraying the orchard, so I couldn't wear my new porkpie (a pity, that). But, this leads me to my dilemma, about which I am about to bore you all to death.

I work on a farm. I love to wear my hats on the farm, my flat cap, Indy-ish thing, aussie/outback thing with the side brim snaps, bucket hats, weird stiff brim panama thing, generic straw sun hats, etc..., etc..., but no doubt, these hats all have seen better days, it does not take long to bust 'em up good, working on the farm. So, now, I actually went out and bought a decent hat for the first time (the porkpie I referenced earlier), and I desperately want to wear it to work. OK, truth be told, I have worn it every day since I got it, but I know I shouldn't!

So, should I say "hell with it", wear it to work until I "ruin" it? And, for that matter, can a hat ever be truly "ruined" by sweat stains, sun-fade, scuffs, etc? Or has it merely developed character? Or, since I am currently hooked on the whole porkpie thing, should I go out and buy another, perhaps less expensive, pork pie to wear on the farm? Perhaps a straw (although, some of those straw porkpies are VERY expensive)? Or cotton/fabric? Summer is coming, and a wool one might be a little warm.....

wear the damn hats

have one or two for casual wear
one or two for formal wear
and then one or two for beating the $#!t out of ... for the cost Akubra hats are good for that

or you can be like me and literally have a room full of hat boxes and need a ping pong ball lottery machine to figure out which one you will wear today

get yourself a Campdraft and wear it on the farm every day ... it is what the hat is built for

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 74127 Just my trusty Peter Grimm flat cap today. Spraying the orchard, so I couldn't wear my new porkpie (a pity, that). But, this leads me to my dilemma, about which I am about to bore you all to death.

Moon said it better than I could have.

When you get right down to it a hat fundamentally is a functional object that should be worn for what it is made for. And while I have allowed my relationship to many of mine to become something akin to that of a curator to pieces in an art collection, I do have a number of hats that are just plain "wear 'em around and don't give a crap" hats. Albeit... those are not vintage hats.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
wear the damn hats

have one or two for casual wear
one or two for formal wear
and then one or two for beating the $#!t out of ... for the cost Akubra hats are good for that

or you can be like me and literally have a room full of hat boxes and need a ping pong ball lottery machine to figure out which one you will wear today

get yourself a Campdraft and wear it on the farm every day ... it is what the hat is built for

:rolleyes:o_O:D I thought many times , "How does he decide ?" Now I know . Unless I preplan I go through 3-4 (because the rest are out of sight) before leaving the house . Decisions Decisions . I can imagine its like a raffle or Bingo . R41 ... Bingo .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
:rolleyes:o_O:D I thought many times , "How does he decide ?" Now I know . Unless I preplan I go through 3-4 (because the rest are out of sight) before leaving the house . Decisions Decisions . I can imagine its like a raffle or Bingo . R41 ... Bingo .
my technique lately has been to have my daughter pick a box ... seems to work well

and I personally do not care what I am wearing when I ... or she ... picks a particular hat ... not really into matching it up or fashion rules at all ... but it does just so happen that a lot of my wardrobe is quite boring and very similar in color so it almost doesn't matter :)

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
my technique lately has been to have my daughter pick a box ... seems to work well

and I personally do not care what I am wearing when I ... or she ... picks a particular hat ... not really into matching it up or fashion rules at all ... but it does just so happen that a lot of my wardrobe is quite boring and very similar in color so it almost doesn't matter :)
My hat selection process is more akin to this (but with cats)...

Moon's "LetTheKidPick'Em" method would save me a fortune in cleaning supplies.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
You should hire an armed guard to go with you when you wear that one, Anthony! Sheesh! What a hat!
I am my own armed guard ... trust me I turn into fkn Jackie Chan when cats reach for my hat ... no matter what hat I'm wearing

what is up with that anyway ? ... people actually reach out to touch my hat when saying something like ... "hey nice hat" ... it's like when the lady at the grocery store insists on touching my kids ... hands off people !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara