Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Mayserwegener: Wow that's exquisite, I especially like the logo on the sweatband. Such good condition too. Is it a good fit? It looks it. Have you steamed it for that perfect fit or do you dare not?

DJH: That's a lovely fedora, nice colour.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's very nice, Steve. The wide ribbon works. My dark moss bowler has a wide Petersham ribbon that I really like, but honestly I don't even think I paid attention to ribbon width or style differences when I ordered it. How naive I was before joining the lounge!

Mayserwegener: Wow that's exquisite, I especially like the logo on the sweatband. Such good condition too. Is it a good fit? It looks it. Have you steamed it for that perfect fit or do you dare not?

Thanks again! Yes it fits perfect and very light weight. I didn't have to do anything to this one but it appears to have been stretched prior (see the gap at the rear of the sweat). The felt is not super stiff so it self conforms to some degree.

Bowlerman, Thanks! I am not sure if I have another one with a wide ribbon. I have a good number of Bowler/Derby/Melone so stay tuned.

Zetwal & Alan, Thanks!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Girls and hats.

Just wanted to share:

Photo%20on%202011-05-20%20at%2016.07.jpg

Our gymnasts are checking out some hats I have in the office today. Pretty girls, really make the hats look good. I think we will have to outfit them for meets.

Eric -

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Today I was wearing my green cadets cap until the rain picked up and I switched to a broad brimmed grey stetson and my umbrella!
I think its time to find a decent straw hat though, summer is on its way!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
The Glory Of Spring

View of a wet downtown Minneapolis from the ubiquitous skyway system. Last weekend started off windy, cold, and drearily wet. It seemed especially fitting that we were on our way over to Orchestra Hall to hear the Minnesota Orchestra play Stravinsky's 'Le Sacre du Printemps '.

Waiting in the lobby prior to the concert. With National Straw Hat Day(May 15) only a day away, I sported my newly acquired Barbisio Lugano for possibly the final occasion of the season.

National Straw Hat Day dawned with cool temps in the 40s. I decided to start the day in felt. Picked up this old hat block at a yard sale early in the morning for a song.

Summit Avenue, St. Paul. Lydia & I went on our usual stroll along one of our favorite stretches of this historic boulevard while Ryan took his Sunday morning German lesson at the Germanic American Institute, housed in a beautiful Victorian mansion on the avenue.

With ivy overgrowing its ramshackle but charming iron gate and fence, I have always had a particular attraction to this mansion, just a few steps from the Germanic American Institute. It has for years been in a curious state of decay, in stark contrast to the perfectly manicured estates that line both sides of this, arguably the longest stretch of preserved Victorian homes in America. Note the great dome of The Cathdral Of St. Paul in the distance to the left of the picture.

There is a tremendous diversity of architectural styles on Summit Avenue, with the majority of the homes built between 1890 and 1920. This stretch of Summit Avenue was home to the likes of F. Scott Fitzgerald and John Dillinger.

Neoclassical architectural detail.

We never tire of the scenery, and discover something new each time we take our walk, through all of Nature's seasons.

The magnificent bronze of Nathan Hale in the little park named after him on Summit Avenue. A gift to the city of St. Paul from the Daughters Of The American Revolution in 1907, it was created by William Ordway Partridge. It was the first monument dedicated to the American Revolution west of Ohio.

The small park has a bench which we particularly enjoy sitting at to savor the beauty all around us.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Tulips in all their glory.

The little pavilion in tiny Cochran Park, another of our favorite places to just be.

The centerpiece of Cochran Park: 'Indian Hunter & His Dog ', cast in 1926 by St. Paul native Paul Manship, he of 'Prometheus', Rockefeller Center fame.

Ambling back towards the Germanic American Institute.

Tulips seem to be the harbingers of Spring in Minnesota.

When I gaze upon such delicate and ethereal beauty I am reminded of the tenuous nature of our existence, and the importance of treasuring each moment we have with our families.

Approaching our destination, we paused by "my" fence for one last photo.

Having picked up our son Ryan, we headed off to lunch on "Eat Street" in Minneapolis. Warm enough under the full Sun to eat out on the patio, I contemplated the switch to straw. It was, after all, National Straw Hat Day!

At the East entrance of the Minneapolis Institute Of Art, my Optimo Milan.

Taking advantage of the brilliant light in the courtyard between the new and old wings of the museum before heading indoors.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

'Veiled Lady', by Raffaelo Monti. Marble. Italy, c. 1860.

Under the rotunda in the old wing of the museum. This portion of the museum, in Neoclassical style, was completed in 1915.

A rare and beautifully decorated Corinthian helmet. Greece, Peleponisos, c. 540 B.C.E. Magnificent lid!

The 'Celestial Horse'. Bronze with polychrome. China, 25-220 A.D., Eastern Han Dynasty.

The museum is noted especially for its incredible collection of Chinese art, textiles, calligraphy and sculpture, which is exceeded in scope only by the Metropolitan Museum Of Art in New York.

Green Tara. Tibet, late 14th-early 15th century. Copper repousse, with cold gold, turquoise, and pigments. One of our favorites at the museum for its serene, reflective beauty.

'Portrait Of Madame de Serilly', 1780. Marble. This is a ravishing portrait bust of Marie-Antoinette's lady-in-waiting, by Jean-Antoine Houdon, best known for his iconic portrait busts of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

'After The Reception', 1887. Douglas Volk. Another of our beloved 'ladies' at the museum.

Walking out into the courtyard again in the late afternoon. I was mesmerized by the dazzling play of sunlight on the leaves.

Backlit sunlight, with reflected light from the museum's large glass windows, made flash umbrellas unnecessary. A truly glorious Spring day!

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the tour of your city, Al. I used to travel to the Twin Cities regularly, but haven't been there for some time now.

Really nice photos, this is probably your best set so far - the pair of really nice hats helps as well!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Just wanted to share:

Photo%20on%202011-05-20%20at%2016.07.jpg

Our gymnasts are checking out some hats I have in the office today. Pretty girls, really make the hats look good. I think we will have to outfit them for meets.

Eric -

Eric, that is just brilliant. Wearing these hats should be fun and it clearly is for you and the young ladies!

For me, I'm wearing my little James Lock & Co trilby this morning.

IMG0845-L.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice Nostalgia - I've always thought it to be the nicest of the modern Stetsons.

Here am I at my least favorite place these days. At least I have my Silverbelly Tumwater to cheer me up!

photo-52-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner