Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
NewOrleanseBay031.jpg

Norman Batiste; musician, in front of the St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, July 2011. Norman took a wool crusher and modified it by cutting a custom pattern into the crown which also provided ventilation. He did the same to his sandals, and if I can find the thread about wearing socks with sandals I'll post the photo there, yep, he's wearing socks with his sandals.
Man, that is some SERIOUS moth damage!!!

T Rick

Practically Family
I'm wearing my Minnetonka Outback. A nice rough leather outdoor hat in tan.
Welcome PC, love the T6 in your Avatar. Do you have a pic of today's hat?

For me, with the mid 90's today, when I ventured outside, it was the new "plastic" straw. A polypropylene straw from Akubra, the Capricorn in Fawn. Bought this after I damaged a Panama in Florida, figured I'd need at least one that was essentially "sweat proof".

Actually been wearing it around the house today too, as it is new (arrived a few days ago), and I need to train it. Will post more pics of the hat in the new hats thread soon.

standard.jpg

Populuxe Cowboy

New in Town
Welcome PC, love the T6 in your Avatar. Do you have a pic of today's hat?

As a matter of fact, I do.
minnetonkaoutback.jpg

I only have four hats right now, but I wear a hat every day. I will be buying many more in the future.

Glad you like the avatar. The radial engine is, to me, a strong symbol of that era's transportation. As a former Air Force sergeant and son of a retired Boeing engineer, I have aviation in the blood. I got that particular image from a wallpaper at the EAA website. Warbird Depot is another site that satisfies my vintage aircraft wallpaper needs.

Jed, Cool photos! Fantastic hats too!

4Spurs, Interesting concept but not sun proof. :) Alan Toussaint also wears socks with his sandals. Must be old time NO thing.

Hatophile & Alan, Thanks! :)

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Steve: Very nice set of photos!

Jedwbpm: Great pictures of a pair of sharp looking lids!

4spurs: A cool, cool hat. Wonderful portrait!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wearing Open Roads inside as I am cleaning/steaming.

In another thread recently a FL'er asked if you wear hats in the house. I must confess that I can now answer yes. I am inside wearing a few Open Roads as I clean and steam them.

Photo-on-2011-07-17-at-2210-S.jpg

The front row are some Open Roads that I am working on this evening. From left to right on my desk are a tan Stetson Open Road 25, silverbelly Open Road 20, a cream 3X Open Road, a slate gray Royal Open Road (Canadian) and a charcoal grey 3X Open Road. My new hat brushes are getting a workout. evidently the hats accumulate dust/dirt much faster than I would have thought. Our home is not particularily dusty, at least I thought. I see the hats as attractive, but really they are truly attractive to dirt and dust. I have my steamer, a Rowenta Pro Compact steamer behind my chair. The steamer head is clipped on a music stand so that it is stable when I pass the hats thru the steam. I have been changing the creases and generally experimenting.

Yup, that is a guitar stand on my desk. I put away one guitar so that I could place freshly steamed hats on the stand. It is my "drying rack" of sorts. I needed a place for the hats and it also puts the hats at different angles so that I can work the creases from the top. The rest of the stuff is truly clutter. Apologies for the mess, but I am trying to complete this project this evening.

Out of the Open Roads my fav is the tan Open Road 25. All of the features and color put it at the top of my current favs. (Again thanks to Eric for making this hat available to me!)

I hope you enjoy my sharing a pic of the Open Roads parked on my desk this evening.

Good evening folks. Eric -

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Photo-on-2011-07-17-at-2210-S.jpg

I love this photo. I have to ration my visible hats. Any time I have too many out in view at one time the tension in the household increases a bit and it's not my Golden Retiever Arthur that is the one getting fussed up.....

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Summer Sojourn, Part 1

July, always an exciting and busy time of the year for us for travel and adventures, yet Summer would not feel the same without our usual trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior. And so it was that we journeyed to this, one of our favorite places on earth, these past two weeks.

My apologies in advance for the number of large photos, and for the rather limited variety of lids represented. I had brought along three hats for this trip, but ended up wearing only one the entire time...my Optimo Montecristi.

The lighthouse at the entrance to Duluth harbor.

We stopped at Crabby Bill's for a late lunch. The Nels J is a fish tug, built in 1946 by Frank Muhlke. It was restored and converted to a snack stand, and moved to its current home in Canal Park in 2001.

Consistently great fried seafood, we really miss the Bluegill, which is no longer available.

Eating at the table behind the boat, next to the breakwater.

The iconic Aerial Lift Bridge, on the National Register Of Historic Places.

Old tug outside of the Lake Superior Marine Museum, a wonderful place to watch the big ships entering and leaving the harbor.

Brilliant sunshine, with a gentle breeze off the big lake. We wanted to linger in the harbor a while longer.

Going out for an afternoon sail. Light at the foot of the Aerial Lift Bridge.

Returning to the harbor. It was unusually warm that day in Duluth, with temperatures in the 80's.

It was already mid-afternoon as we left Duluth harbor and continued our journey up the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

From one harbor to another. Several hours after our departure from Duluth, and with the Sun making its way to the Western horizon in the late afternoon, we arrived in Grand Marais. Approximately 110 miles up the North Shore from Duluth, the temperature was nearly 10 degrees cooler in Grand Marais.

With eager anticipation we headed directly to our favorite eatery in Grand Marais, the Angry Trout Cafe.

An incredible and ever-changing menu. Absolutely delicious and carefully prepared dishes.

Waiting to be seated at our table dockside.

The U.S. Coast Guard station in Grand Marais harbor.

Stylized Brook Trout stained glass panel. Not a sustainable species as seafood, Brook Trout are not on the menu here, but occasionally other Char such as Lake Trout and Arctic Char are served.

I enjoyed the wonderful Lake Trout that evening, caught earlier that day from Lake Superior by local fishermen.

Watching the schooner Hjordis returning from its sunset sail.

The Hjordis is a gaff-rigged schooner run by the North House Folk School, a fascinating organization dedicated to preserving traditional Scandinavian craft and skills.

I wished I was on the water on such a magnificent day...

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

The Hjordis approaching the harbor.

The Dockside Fish Market, carrying on the commercial fishing heritage of the North Shore.

Relaxing on the front porch of the Cascade Lodge as the Sun set, I enjoyed reading about its intriguing history. It was one of the historic lodges and resorts we stayed at on this particular trip.

Moonrise over Lake Superior.

Last edited:
Al,
You've gone and done it again! Your pics never fail to make me hungry.
Really though, great photos, and you're looking quite dapper in your panama. Looks like you had some beautiful weather for your sojourn.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael