Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
photoon5312at739am.jpg

Tropo shirt and PB for 80 + temps here today.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is my recent vintage Borso ,a gift from my hatter friend John at the Brass Rooster. The hat came with a 50s newspaper wrapped in the sweat to size it, and had movie ads for Kirk Douglas in Ulysses just released.
c75f33f9.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Mike, that Crofut, is a wonderful looking Hat. Great brim edges and felt ribbon makes a fantastic optic.

David, beauty, beauty, beautiful. Interesting brim stitching on that Penman.

Perry, inspired PB and shirt combi. The right outfit for hot days.

Ale, stunning Optimo. He looks so good. I like it on you.

Bond, fantastic Borsalino. I like it how you wear him. Wonderful classic shape.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Stormy and rain here this morning. The winds gust off the lake drive the rain through clothing and hats. The plastic coated fibers of the hat are definately woven loose enough to provide venting. This is evident as the wind drives the rain thru the hat. My head gets wet when the wind drives hard enough to push the rain thru it. My raincover and Stetson Whippet are trying to protect me as I complete morning chores.

IMG1271-M.jpg

Drying out, Eric -

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My word, so many wonderful hats this morning! WONDERFUL hats gentlemen!!!!!

Eric, I have a question. It appears that your wearing the modern Stetson Whippet Straw, but the crown looks nice and high. Did you re-shape the crown at all the give it height, or is it just the camera angle that's deceiving my eyes?

kiltie

Practically Family
I like the color of that Optimo, and you really can't beat the construction of a Penman, but what I'm taking away today is: I hope one day I'll be swave (yes, I know...) enough to carry off a hat like the one Rodkins has up there.
Those of you asking about my chair in yesterdays post - that was my first 'grown up' independently purchased piece of furniture. Nice to get the thumbs up so many years later. Thanks!

Just about to set off on some light road-tripping; Roger Waters playing up in Austin. Sporting the old Banana Republic fur felt from yesteryear.

IMG_4027.jpg

Edit: HOLY HECK! that Whippet is nice, SBG.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Josh; This whippet came with a "higher crown" of 4.5". Not really high, but looks such on my small head/body. I am 5'3", about 130#'s and that crown height works for me. I did use very warm steam and eliminate as much taper as I could. This I did by carefully by hand. It took a bunch of time. It only changed a small bit, but enough to make the hat acceptable to me. The original taper gave the hat a funny, tipped back on my head look. The only further change I would love to make would be to chill down the brim curl.

The above said this hat really does the trick on a stormy warm day. I wore the hat to the Minnesota State Fair last August on a steamy, rainy day and man it was exactly what was needed. Any nicer hat would have been stained by perspiration, affected by on and off rain showers or even by the grimy environment of the "great MN Get to Gather." I do know that a lot of this model has sold and hence it has many fans. I am one who enjoys the hat, although I enjoy it more with my modifications.

Short Balding Guy who likes almost no taper in my fedoras, Eric -

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Awesome hats, one and all.

Ale-- you certainly have a great collection, but that Park Ave. has got to be my favorite of your Optimos. Not sure the color is right for me, but in the abstract and on your head, it's amazing.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh; This whippet came with a "higher crown" of 4.5". Not really high, but looks such on my small head/body. I am 5'3", about 130#'s and that crown height works for me. I did use very warm steam and eliminate as much taper as I could. This I did by carefully by hand. It took a bunch of time. It only changed a small bit, but enough to make the hat acceptable to me. The original taper gave the hat a funny, tipped back on my head look. The only further change I would love to make would be to chill down the brim curl.

The above said this hat really does the trick on a stormy warm day. I wore the hat to the Minnesota State Fair last August on a steamy, rainy day and man it was exactly what was needed. Any nicer hat would have been stained by perspiration, affected by on and off rain showers or even by the grimy environment of the "great MN Get to Gather." I do know that a lot of this model has sold and hence it has many fans. I am one who enjoys the hat, although I enjoy it more with my modifications.

Short Balding Guy who likes almost no taper in my fedoras, Eric -

Thanks so much for the response, Eric! I did notice from online pictures that the hat did have a good amount of taper, but yours is almost taper free. I really like your modifications because it makes the hat look more vintage than modern. Even though the hat is plastic coated, and not real straw, I would imagine that it does very well with repelling water and humidity. I love my vintage straws, but they do not do very well with water or humidity. I've been looking for a hat that's nicer than a "beater" but something that I wouldn't mind if it got ruined after one summer. If I can get one and modify it like you, it should do the trick. Thanks so much for posting the pic. Do you have any interior shots of the hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo