Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Cavanagh for me today. The felt is like clay, so I took out the diamond crease and went with a center dent...

7A2B03BB.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic Hats All !

Stingy Super Bowl Sunday in San Francisco.
Im with my 3 adult sons & 3 Grandsons we are all in Vintage Stingys.
Wish i can get a group shot but there all running around crazy before the game starts.
The Mission District is just a giant pre-game party & it will be insane later as the game commences.
232323232%7Ffp543%3B8%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C95477%3B%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

i have on a Dobbs Hankachif-Felt, Tlaloc is sporting a Adam & the other maniacs are sporting Knox,Dobbs,etc.......:cool:
I get to play with there computer to keep me away from the Madness In SF..:cool:

One Too Many
Fantastic Hats All !

Stingy Super Bowl Sunday in San Francisco.
Im with my 3 adult sons & 3 Grandsons we are all in Vintage Stingys.
Wish i can get a group shot but there all running around crazy before the game starts.
The Mission District is just a giant pre-game party & it will be insane later as the game commences.
232323232%7Ffp543%3B8%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C95477%3B%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

i have on a Dobbs Hankachif-Felt, Tlaloc is sporting a Adam & the other maniacs are sporting Knox,Dobbs,etc.......:cool:
I get to play with there computer to keep me away from the Madness In SF..:cool:
CHE; ambos lucen excelentes con hermosos sombreros, saludos desde S.L.P., México, que Dios nos Bendiga¡¡

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yep... 7X is special stuff. Tell us more about this one, Gene. Is it a modified western, or a bound brim unwrapped? Inside photos posted somewhere?

thanks for sharing.

"I think that's the one he took the scissors to."

---

Yeah. Back up a page and read the explanation I typed up already. Thx! G

Liner shot by request. Another of those wonderfully embroidered jobs:

DSC_0009.jpg

And a 'post-op' pic (I had a steady hand that day) just to get Tom's gall again. Ha!

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Fish, Fowl, & Gumbo

I am submitting this post in the closing minutes of Super Bowl XLVII. It has been an eventful week for us, culminating in the Big Game this evening. (CAPTIONS IN PROGRESS).

A quick bite at the newly opened Maid Rite Diner in town Wednesday evening after work. OPTIMO Natural Beaver Belly.

We then hurried over to the Thunderbird Motel, now a Ramada Inn, for our Minnesota Decoy Collector's annual four day decoy event. Room to room trading, buying and selling always commences on the last Wednesday in January.

Magnificent rig-mate pair of Ralph Reghi Redheads. Ca. 1938. Mount Clemens, Michigan.

Unusual and cute little Hen Bluebill by an unknown Michigan carver. Ca. 1940s.

Sleeping Canvasback Drake by Jim Kelson/Ralph Reghi. Mount Clemens, Michigan, late 1940s-1950s.

I was more than a little surprised and disappointed in the completely renovated interior of the once admittedly campy but nostalgic hotel. It is now a sterile space...except for the rooms themselves, as yet spared the fate of modernization.

With a calculus exam looming in the morning for Ryan, we made our rounds quickly and headed back home, with scarcely any time for the social time with fellow decoy and sporting collectors which we always look forward to.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

We excitedly went back Thursday evening to spend some quality time with our friends and fabulous decoys. In my friend Jon Deeter's room, enjoying great fellowship and conversation. Ringbill Drake and a few rig-mates by Owen Gromme. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ca. 1930s-1940s.

Bluebill Drake by Ferdinand Bach, one of only three known. Detroit, Michigan, ca. 1950s.

Exceptional pair of Mallards by Enoch Reindahl, Stoughton, Wisconsin, ca. 1930s-1940s.

These amazing decoys will be offered at Jon's April auction, held in conjunction with the Midwest Decoy Collector's Show in St. Charles, Illinois.

Still wearing my OPTIMO, Natural Beaver Belly.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

The thermometer still read below zero F when we left Augsburg College in the late afternoon, but the termperature was rising steadily as a significant weather system moved into the area.

We were proud of all the kids, and of Ryan and his teammates, who tied for third place. Celebration afterwards at Mickey's in St. Paul as the snow came down with increasing intensity.

Joining our decoy friends who have set up in the exhibition hall for the show, open to club members Friday evening. I studied the Ferdinand Bach Bluebill carefully under better lighting.

As the snow continued to accumulate, and with road conditions deteriorating, we headed over to the Minneapolis Convention Center for the Grammy Nomination Celebratory Concert by the locked-out musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra.

It is especially compelling to see politics cast aside, if only temporarily, for something that is trascendental. Mayor of Minneapolis, R.T. Ryback, on stage with Judy Dayton. They were the prime movers in making this concert a reality.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Saturday morning and we were back at the show. 1940s Warner & Warner Beaver Twenty.

The Sun may have finally come out, but it was fleeting.

Part of our club's display of Minnesota decoys. Exceedingly rare pair of John Tax Teal and Wood Ducks.

A stick-up Goose decoy, for which John Tax is best known.

John Tax Speckled Belly Goose.

A rare Redhead Hen made by Capt. John Schweikart of Detroit, Michigan, in the early 1900s. Amazingly, Schweikart's beautiful and well made hollow decoys were hunted over by three successive generations of his family before being sold to pioneering decoy collectors in the 1950s-1960s.

Lovely Bluebill Hen by Harry Hitchens of Belleville, Ontario. Ca. 1920s, and in beautiful original paint.

A fabulous group of fish decoys by famed Minnesota carver Frank Mizera, some of Minnesota's finest. Ca. 1930s-1940s. Rare Pike pattern fish decoy by John Tax in the foreground.

Classic Frank Mizera "Fish-On-Fish" pattern decoy. This decoy, along with the orange and black example in the photo above, found a new home with a friend and distinguished guest from Ohio.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

One never knows what may walk in. My decoy friend Ken from Ohio picked up this great old "Snaky-Head" Canvasback Drake by Tobin Meldrum of Pearl Beach, Michigan on the last day of the show.

Much as with our vintage hats, there are still gems waiting to be discovered "in the field". This incredible Ernie Newman decoy was found by our friend Pete amidst a jumble of undistinguished, run-of-the-mill fishing tackle, for next to nothing!

Exquisite little Sucker by Michigan carver "Bud" Stewart, another of Pete's fantastic recent pick-ups.

Putting off breakfast and lunch to get to our show early in the morning, we were finally starting to become hungry and bade our decoy friends farewell in the late afternoon.

Early supper at The Anchor, about the only time one can find a table here without a lengthy wait.

Heading home after another long day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana