Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Starting my day with my Portis Milan

smugshot_8283618-L.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments yesterday, Gents. You all are sporting amongst the BEST lids on the planet!!
Harv I never measured the brim of yesterday's hat until today; 2" dimensional (1-7/8" in front). Don't tell Joao. I need to wear my Akubra Sombrero soon!

But today, WIDE ribbon Wednesday, my VS Mohave, for shade. MUCH wider brim.
DSC00536.jpg DSC00537.jpg DSC00538.jpg DSC00539.jpg DSC00540.jpg

Wide Ribbon Wednesday. Dang it, I forgot! Oh, well, function over form for the day. Maybe I'll buck Thin Ribbon Thursday tomorrow.

Charlie, that VS is a super killer lid. I agree w/ Harv, Dogman, & RJR. Great look and color combo.
David, that Portis - I'm lovin' it!

RobertM

Familiar Face
I have two Premiere felt Stetsons, and they are very nice. However, I noticed the Premiere Strat began a severe tapering on one side after wearing it in the rain. I was able to finally work it back to its original shape. But I also paid less than half of the retail price at the outlet. If I had to choose between a retail priced Premiere Stetson and a retail priced Akubra, there is no comparison. Akubra wins on value and quality. And you can spring for the Heritage felt and still be way under the price of the Stetson.

It won't stop me from looking again when I'm at the Stetson Outlet later this year when I'm back in Texas. :) Especially if I can find a deeply discounted Stetson Racine....

61Yx2J6PYCL._UX385_.jpg

Hmmmnnn, so what I am gathering here is that don't wear that Stretson Strat in the rain? I am assuming they use the same type materials on their "cowboy" hats and if nothing else, aren't those cowboy hats are meant to be worn in any type weather without being ruined?
What is it about the Akruba's that make them the hat of choice in inclement weather?

R

EstherWeis

Vendor
Amazing stuff guys! I saw some really nice hats.

Moon, amazing collection you've got there!
Alive'n'Amplified, looks great!

I'm in a long haired rabbit felt with cotton grosgrain.
Weather is still a bit weird, so it's all felt here.

Have a great day gents!
d222d10315ad26623efef8ee5ac75178.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

RobertM

Familiar Face
Amazing stuff guys! I saw some really nice hats.

Moon, amazing collection you've got there!
Alive'n'Amplified, looks great!

I'm in a long haired rabbit felt with cotton grosgrain.
Weather is still a bit weird, so it's all felt here.

Have a great day gents!
d222d10315ad26623efef8ee5ac75178.jpg

Agree +. And it's a pleasant addition to have a woman who also rocks those hats posting here.

R

tommyK

One Too Many
Hmmmnnn, so what I am gathering here is that don't wear that Stretson Strat in the rain? I am assuming they use the same type materials on their "cowboy" hats and if nothing else, aren't those cowboy hats are meant to be worn in any type weather without being ruined?
What is it about the Akruba's that make them the hat of choice in inclement weather?

R

Robert, the modern Stetson's are much improved but the felt quality is just not there yet (I've bought 3 of them so far to support the cause). I don't love the finish on the Akubra's or how thick the felt is but they are more durable and considerably cheaper. Nothing's perfect, I guess.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Robert, the modern Stetson's are much improved but the felt quality is just not there yet (I've bought 3 of them so far to support the cause). I don't love the finish on the Akubra's or how thick the felt is but they are more durable and considerably cheaper. Nothing's perfect, I guess.

Thanks Tommy. But I'm still scratching my hatless head as to what makes the Akruba the more durable/weather resistant hat?

R

EstherWeis

Vendor
Agree +. And it's a pleasant addition to have a woman who also rocks those hats posting here.

R

Thank you! I wonder why I'm the only one. Surely there must be some more hat wearing gals on the lounge!

As for rain resistant hats, from experience i found that the thicker the felt, the better they hold their shape.
The heat from your head will react with the rain and make it pliable again.
If the felt is thin then that will happen in no time.
Then if you take of/put on your hat by holding the crown it will go wonky.
But that's just what I noticed with my hats.

javadave61

Practically Family

R

In all fairness, I looked back at an original photo of my hat (prior to the rain), and the one sided tapering was already (pictured below). I think the rain made it a bit worse and finally noticeable to my eye. I don't know if that helps or hurts the case against the felt knowing it was already like that. Then again, it was discounted at the outlet, so that may have been why. Had it been blocked properly to begin with, maybe it could have held up against the rain. I've sense reblocked it, and it's holding up well.

6276_10207120957083903_9189970744892544153_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24