Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
For me today was my Akubra Flat Top. No real idea of the vintage of this one, it is 'pocketweight' and, really does have a flat top (although, when I found it, someone had tried to give it a bash. But it is much too shallow for that to work).

From what I can find, looking through old Australian newspapers, the pocketweight was part of the range in 1941 and I haven't found any advertisements for that weight of felt newer than 1954.
There are older mentions of pocketweight hats in Australian papers, starting around 1925, but they seem to be "imported French felt" or
Superior quality Hats, of "pocket weight " fur felt ; medium crowns and brims. Colours, steel, fawn, slate and grey. Shapes suitable for boys aged from 0 to 14 years. Size G to 7 . Price .. 18/6 (an ad in the Sydney Morning Herald 07 Dec 1925, for Christmas gifts from Famer's).
I have yet though, to find any mention of the Flat Top as a style.

20160103_205625.jpg

20160103_205813.jpg

akubra-47.jpg
akubra-54.jpg

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
It's a cool crisp winter day here, so I'll be wearing my Lock & Co. Coke hat (AKA Bowler or Derby in some circles.) to church. One might as well wear one from the venerable firm that made the first one in 1849 for Lord Edward Coke. The Coke is too warm to enjoy during the steamier months, hence I sport it now. It has always brought many more compliments then rude comments. Especially when properly dressed to the nines.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy