Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
You don't find this front closer to be the epitome of "attractive" or "valuable"!?!?

il_570xN.451430230_59xd.jpg
what makes you think that is not a picture of me ?

I'm like you -- I prefer a very shallow flange on my homburg brim from side to side. I don't think there is a specific name for this type of homburg, but a less flamboyant flange is not uncommon. I've seen lots of vintage Stetsons*, Adams, Dobbs, and Disneys that all have a relatively straight angle to their homburg brims. I'm tempted to say that sharply curved homburg flanges are more common in European versions of the hat, although my Borsa homburg's brim has only a very shallow curve to it.

Sidenote: I recall that you like wool hat bodies, but I have yet to come across a production wool homburg that didn't have a very pronounced flange. You could ask Luisa at D'Aquino to make you one since she does offer a wool homburg.

*The Stetson St. Regis is a good model to be on the look-out for: https://www.etsy.com/listing/462168738/vintage-stetson-homburg-with-box

The style originated in Europe and crossed over to America. This was the case for most American Soft Felt Dress Hats up to the 1930s. The term Homburg really wasn't used in Europe until the 1950s. I think most American Hat industry people (up to 1930s) would agree with what I posted above.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
The style originated in Europe and crossed over to America. This was the case for most American Soft Felt Dress Hats up to the 1930s. The term Homburg really wasn't used in Europe until the 1950s. I think most American Hat industry people (up to 1930s) would agree with what I posted above.

Oh certainly -- what you posted above is spot on. Sonero and I just like a less profound flange for our homburgs and he's curious where to find this type .

I tend to use Hat industry (not Fashion) terms from the early 20th Century. I just see them as Soft Felt Dress hats. :)

"King Edward VII (1841-1910) photographed six months after the Coronation (08/09/1902), at Sandringham. In this image, King Edward is seen wearing plus-fours and his favourite Homburg style hat."

3675.jpg

PapaDoc

New in Town
as much as I'm a sucker for a brown fedora I am equally a sucker for a grey fedora with a black ribbon... just always have been.
Gun to my head and I have to pick one hat out my entire stable this might be the one .... notice I said "might" ;)

40s Royal DeLuxe
08d7dfeb079363db4c5789974e824c94.jpg

e865012ac943c77b5910325364f5ca57.jpg

62ead3b65c75ca8e7f244f7232410a77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a great Hat-shirt-jacket -beard combo. Kinda like the whole being more value than the sum of its parts. When you can't really explain it, but when you see it you just say to yourself "yeah, that's it".

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
But Sinbad pants arent ridiculous right? [emoji14]

honestly I don't know what sinbad pants are ... I assume zubaz or some of that 90s nonsense ?

Nonsence indeed.

Well, from a tailor's point of view vintage is a term that is used waaaay to easily.
This is just the technical aspect though.

2 things; the way it is constructed. Pattern, fit down to the way it is sewn.
And you'll never get it to fit properly. Peoples bodies just are different.

So when it comes down to it. After WWII ? Not a lot of true " vintage" left.

And who the heck wants to look like MC Hammer anyways?

Who doesn't want to look like MC Hammer. Geez. [emoji14]

Esther nailed what I was thinking ... Hammer Time ! That was 80s ? I think . I remember my daughter singing it and dancing goofily cute .

Not so ridiculous. I said "soon" these eras will be considered vintage -- which is sort of inescapable. As decades go by, previous decades will be considered antique, no?

EDIT: Just to parse terms a bit more. From Merriam Webster -- vintage: "used to describe something that is not new but that is valued because of its good condition, attractive design, etc." It's this aspect of the term to which I was referring. Its meaning definitely implies social convention since "attractive design" is preferential and "not new" is relative. Along these lines, it actually wouldn't be out of place to call a 1980's garment "vintage" even now, especially, as Moon said earlier, if it is given the additional modifier of the era to which it is vintage.
Indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy