Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat with a leather motorcycle style jacket ?

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I vote for a stingy brim fedora - brim up in the front, down in the back. The stingier the better!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
A cadet cap, military-style beret (would resemble German panzer crew :) ) or o heck, any Indy style fedora would do.. but better be black ( I assume this is typical black motorcycle leather jacket)...

Or you may try gambler-style western hat? In black of course

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

That depends, in my opinion, on whether you'll be riding a bike or not.

If it's street wear, then you've got a lot of options.

My favorite would be the one Yohanes made about an Indy-style fedora. Such as for example the Akubra Federation Deluxe. If your jacket is black, then the black one. If it's natural leather, then the brown one. (If you want to match colors, that is. I don't think it's all that important.)

Yohanes's idea of a gambler-style Western hat is also great.

Another idea would be one of those WWII flyer's caps. (Do they call 'em flighters? I can't recall.)

Slouch-Hat's topper idea sounds OK if you've got three similarly-dressed friends to hang with. You'd look like biker undertakers, I'd imagine. [huh]

How about a leather pirate hat?

As for the Irish cap, I'm having trouble picturing it. Anyone care to post a picture?

If you're actually riding a bike, what's wrong with a do-rag?

Cheers,
Mark

leo

One of the Regulars
If you usually do not wear an Irish cap, why get one just because of the jacket?

When the weather is appropriate for my black leather jacket, a fedora is too. I think a black or dark gray c-crown/Indy-style would look best. And no stingy brims.

Of course, we all are shaped differently, but in general I think a fedora goes great with leather.

Bill

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
As for the Irish cap, I'm having trouble picturing it. Anyone care to post a picture?

You can see them in the 2 links I have posted on the forum in my thread about irish caps.

The jacket would be a perfecto or a café racer from Schott.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'm curious how a black porkpie would look, stingy or moderate brim.

However, my vote is the six-panel newsboy cap.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
If you usually do not wear an Irish cap, why get one just because of the jacket?

I would like to wear hats. As usually i wear a leather jacket so if i waer a cap, it must go with the jacket.

Of course, we all are shaped differently, but in general I think a fedora goes great with leather.
I don't catch something : How could a fedora goes with suits AND with leather jackets ?

Personaly I think that a fedora only goes with the gentleman farmer's style.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
quiet_man.gif

QuietMan1952_1_FF_300x225_021520061.jpg

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: ;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cufflinks_Carl said:
I don't catch something : How could a fedora goes with suits AND with leather jackets ?
I'm sure the Indy fans will have something to say about this.

I say it depends on the fedora. It's a very versatile hat design.

Personally, I wear just about all of my fedoras with
my brown leather motorcycle jacket.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Hmm, it's not that I have trouble picturing an Irish cap. I own one or two of them, so it'd be easy to just go look at them.

What I can't see in my mind's eye is what an Irish cap would look like when worn by someone in a leather motorcycle jacket.

Anyone care to post a picture of that combination?

Cheers,
Mark

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

How can a fedora go with both a suit and outdoors gear?

Seems like that'd be easy enough to explain.

Before the late 1950s, American men tended to wear suits whenever they were out in public. They also tended to wear brimmed hats. Most of these hats were fedoras, at least between around 1925 and 1960. So suits and fedoras have a certain history in terms of American menswear.

A few years after the end of the brimmed hat as a universal item of American menswear, movies like the Indiana Jones series depicted a hero who wore a fedora together with outdoors gear on his adventures. I'd suggest that this series did enough to revive interest in fedoras, that the fedoras and outdoors gear combination now looks like a valid combination to a lot of people as well.

Leather jackets are outdoor gear, no? Well then, a fedora combined with a motorcycle jacket will be "read" as valid, I feel, without any conceptual stretch.

(Actually, it's easy to find old photos of American men wearing a fedora and work clothes. It's not like someone invented that look for Harrison Ford out of thin air!)

I've been speaking here in terms of US menswear, but I'm pretty certain the Canadian experience was about the same. Perhaps things were different in the UK, Australia, and other countries, but I haven't seen enough old photos from those places to know for sure.

Cheers,
Mark

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Engineers were especially likely to do this. They might wear a suit or sport coat to the office, then slip on a waist length jacket to go out into "the field."
The only other item of clothing that might change would be the shoes. The hat could stay the same. :)

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I actually keep a sb Open Road in one of my saddlebags and wear it when I stop to keep my bald head from getting burned after I take off my helmet.

NonEntity

Suspended
Greek Fisherman's Cap

Personally, I wear my Akubra Banjo Patterson 2 5/8-inch brim hat and a 10 1/2-inch-diameter dark navy blue or camel beret with my leather jacket, a bomber style. Not at the same time, of course.

If I had an edgier motorcycle-style leather jacket, I'd go with what many old-time, pre-helmet-era bikers paired with it--the Greek Fisherman cap. Traditionally, this cap is 100% wool felt, but it's available in leather, as well.

If you decide on this style, make sure it's authentic and imported from Greece, as there are many crappy knock-offs. Menshats.com sells a quality Greek-made fisherman's cap from Aegean Trading with a leather sweat band; the all wool one in black, navy, grey, or brown is $29.95, and the leather version is $49.95.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW