What ia grosgrain lapel made from

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Koechinggendoet, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Koechinggendoet

Koechinggendoet Familiar Face

What is an grosgrain lapel made of,is it the ribbon or an cloth,to my knowing that grosgrain is an weave,bit i dont know any name of grosgrain cloth,and do i have to wear an grosgrain bowtie with grosgrain lapel??

2. Faux Brummell

Faux Brummell New in Town

Ideally yes, you would wear a grosgrain bow tie(or faille or a similar ribbed fabric). (If the jacket had satin-faced lapels, a satin bow tie would be called for.)

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Practically Family

I believe the crossgrain used in men's evening wear is generally made from silk.

Edward likes this.
  4. Koechinggendoet

Koechinggendoet Familiar Face

Thank you,so is the lapel made of faille or any ribbed silk fabric?and many people using barathea bowtie too because they are more matte?

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Practically Family

Crossgrain is characterized by its ribs. These ribs can be of varying thickness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosgrain

Examples of ribbons made of crossgrain -

[​IMG]

Barathea is a different cloth with a different texture, I've most often noted its pebbled appearance that is more matte. It is an alternative to crossgrain used as facing for lapels, so I would assume the characteristic desired is a more matte (Subtle?) appearance. And usually/often worn with matching bowties.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. Steepleman

Steepleman New in Town

Principally you'd find barathea in the form of wool barathea as the body of the suit, I believe.

7. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max New in Town

I would like to know as well. How are you with everything that is going on right now? with the vaccine?

8. Steepleman

Steepleman New in Town

The
    The question has already been answered I believe.