Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it!?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hi there! The hat that Michael Corleone is wearing in that picture is a homburg, not to be confused with a fedora. Homburgs have a bound brim with a curl to them, and are generally uncreased in the front.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Appears to have no brim binding.

4990666111_ae89bb86d9_o.jpg

FormerHatter

New in Town
Homburg

The hat pictured does not appear to have a binding, which would make it a non traditional homburg. It also appears to be worn backwards; the bow is on the right side. Curled brims without bindings were often done in western hats and were sometimes called a "kettle curl" because the best curled brims were put in the back or wet shop at the kettle.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
FormerHatter said:
The hat pictured does not appear to have a binding, which would make it a non traditional homburg. It also appears to be worn backwards; the bow is on the right side. Curled brims without bindings were often done in western hats and were sometimes called a "kettle curl" because the best curled brims were put in the back or wet shop at the kettle.
Picture had probably been flipped [huh]I fixed it. Welcome to the Lounge and glad to have another hatter!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm seeing a definite line of brim binding on my monitor. It's clearest on the side of the hat with the bow.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I can see a brim binding too, so definitely homburg.

If it didn't, it could be called a lord's hat, but I have only seen that used once or twice.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
I can see a brim binding too, so definitely homburg.

If it didn't, it could be called a lord's hat, but I have only seen that used once or twice.

I almost brought up the lord's hats, actually. Is this an actual term to describe these particular homburgs, or has it been first used here on the Lounge?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Semi-irrelevant mini-history:
German "Homburgs"(of Edward VII fame) are Tyrol/Alpine in origin and began with a raw-edge curled brim and quite soft.
Italian "Lobbia"(Ital-Amer. Homburg)originate from a dented "Bowler/Bombetta" with a bound edge curled brim and semi-stiff.

A hybrid prevailed and became somewhat fixed in style here.
I'm not touching the "F word"

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I see the ribbon in the pic, too, so a Homburg it is.

For those of you intrigued about the lord's hat variant, here it's me in one, a Knox:

DSC_0876bb.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
Semi-irrelevant mini-history:
German "Homburgs"(of Edward VII fame) are Tyrol/Alpine in origin and began with a raw-edge curled brim and quite soft.
Italian "Lobbia"(Ital-Amer. Homburg)originate from a dented "Bowler/Bombetta" with a bound edge curled brim and semi-stiff.

A hybrid prevailed and became somewhat fixed in style here.
I'm not touching the "F word"

Awesome info!

Oh, and good advice. ;)

lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
Hi,

I see the ribbon in the pic, too, so a Homburg it is.

For those of you intrigued about the lord's hat variant, here it's me in one, a Knox:

DSC_0876bb.jpg

That is really cool I would love to find one of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff