Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Sky Captain wearing?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a joke, Stella McCartney designing flight gear!

Yep, when I heard that it just depressed me! It's like having Armani design the costumes in The Untouchables! Vintage "with a twist!" luvvie! At least DiCaprio wore a jacket by Belstaff, copied straight from their 1930 flying jacket (and now being sold again, since the Aviator movie).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Modern Designers jump on the vintage movie band wagon...

Stella McCartney...Armani...who else? yet why don't we see more of the vintage style clothing in their season's high street wear? (Let's face it, can't get any better exposure than a big flick!!)

Grit

New in Town
PADDY said:
Yep, when I heard that it just depressed me! It's like having Armani design the costumes in The Untouchables! Vintage "with a twist!" luvvie! At least DiCaprio wore a jacket by Belstaff, copied straight from their 1930 flying jacket (and now being sold again, since the Aviator movie).

Well, they might've used a Belstaff jacket, but Armani designed DiCaprio's sunglasses (which look a LOT like vintage Ray Bans, but are, unfortunately, not). Alas, vintage-inspired is not vintage.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And, often, not even "inspired."

SC & TWoT had great potential as an idea and was well executed and fun to watch, but the choices in clothes, cars, aircraft, etc., were mostly kind of safe – what you'd pick if you didn't know the era terribly well. (A P-40? Why not a sexy machine like a P-38, or a beautiful obscurity like the P-35?)

Also, there were 2 of my pet period peeves: too many gray-brown scenes, and a lot of obvious laser printing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24