Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best etiquette book for the modern/21st century woman?

vinspired

Familiar Face
I do not know if I am writing this thread in the correct area, if not - sorry in advance.

I would like to purchase a book on etiquette for my sister for Christmas.
She has asked me numerous times in the past about this subject but I could not think of any at the time. For this Christmas I would like to get her a book on etiquette as a gift [has anyone in Australia watched that SBS TV show "Housos"? Well my sister is slowly becoming a "Shazza"!].

I would like the BEST book that brings old fashioned manners into the 21st century that caters to women. Something from yesteryear that applies to today. Plus it has to be universal - as in applies to any western woman - for I live in Australia.
If any Fedora member can suggest a book, plus why they think this book is the best on etiquette for women - I would really appreciate it [I am in a pickle at the moment!]

Many thanks :)
~Amanda~

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I always go to Emily Post

She has a new edition out you can read about here and order here

But I like her older editions, so it's up to you what you're looking for :)

That's what I would suggest too. I understand it has a lot of the timeless etiquette rules as well as rules for modern advancements, such a cell phone use, texting, email etc.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I was hemming and hawing about that book for ages - it's nice to hear from someone that I "know" that it's an enjoyable read! I loved her Audrey Style book (although some fans slated it). Think I might go for it now!

It is a cute read. Some of it is definitely just for fun (like stocking the fridge with Veuve Clicquot and receiving baubles from Van Cleef & Arpels on the breakfast tray) but there are some good, down to earth tips too :)

vinspired

Familiar Face
Merry Christmas everyone and many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated - in the end I opted for the Ita Buttrose "a guide to Australian etiquette" for my sisters gift. I think a more modern view would be more her thing - and I do love Ita!
For myself I ordered 2 books - one by Emily Post and the other by Amy Vanderbilt. They shall arrive in the new year.

~Amanda~

vinspired

Familiar Face
I was hemming and hawing about that book for ages - it's nice to hear from someone that I "know" that it's an enjoyable read! I loved her Audrey Style book (although some fans slated it). Think I might go for it now!

I have read the "Are you a Jackie or a Marilyn?" it was an okay read. You should see if your local library has it (or if they can get it in for you) - a good way to save buying the book, plus if you really like it then you can buy it (that's what I usually do).
As for "Audrey style" I am in the mindset of the fans who slated it. Good pictures though. To me the title is a bit misleading - it should be "What do modern fashion designers think Audreys style is".
I thought the book would be more like the book "Grace Kelly style".

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I thought the book would be more like the book "Grace Kelly style".

I have that book and it's excellent - it really breaks down Grace's style in great detail. The Audrey book could have done with more research and more information - I've read many books on Marilyn Monroe that get down to the nitty gritty of her beauty regime including what creams/make-up she wore and where she got her "regular" clothing from - I think the Audrey book could have been a lot more but I still liked it regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot