Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What IS the best modern production fedora?

riccardo

Practically Family
Here are the pics.

Hi to all,
here are some pics of my panizza:
HatCollection019.jpg

HatCollection018.jpg

The unlined inside:
HatCollection016.jpg

How Jamespower said this is a cheap hat, it hasn't the lined and no leather sweatband is in it, but it work very well.
It is an informal hat, an everyday hat. During winter I wear it quite everyday for work, and when the weather is in rain.
...it is ,for me, better than my Borsalino Country!!
Believe me!!
Best regards.
Riccardo.

MattC

A-List Customer
Ok, I'll invite derision

There are still a few good Borsalinos. I'm wearing an Icaro in the avatar, and its a great hat. Durable, keeps its shape (but it is very floppy), sewn in lining....I have a Traveler I've taken around the world. Neither is vintage quality, but both fine hats

riccardo

Practically Family
MattC said:
There are still a few good Borsalinos. I'm wearing an Icaro in the avatar, and its a great hat. Durable, keeps its shape (but it is very floppy), sewn in lining....I have a Traveler I've taken around the world. Neither is vintage quality, but both fine hats
Good for you,Matt, I like very well the Traveller.
Maybe, could it be possible, they made two (or more) different quality felts one for italian market and another for USA.
However, certanly my Borsalino isn't a high quality range hat, but my cheap Panizza is better than it.
I've a vintage Borsalino from the '56 (i think) it is another thing.

Regards.
Riccardo.

riccardo said:
Hi to all,
How Jamespower said this is a cheap hat, it hasn't the lined and no leather sweatband is in it, but it work very well.
It is an informal hat, an everyday hat. During winter I wear it quite everyday for work, and when the weather is in rain.
...it is ,for me, better than my Borsalino Country!!
Believe me!!
Best regards.
Riccardo.

Ah, we have the same type of hat Riccardo. Mine is black and the brim edge is raw as opposed to finished edge like yours. Your self ribbon also has more style than mine. I'm jealous. ;) Yours is nicer than mine. You must be able to get the better ones over there.
Like I say, the accoutrements are cheap but not the felt. It really can take a beating. I used it as a work hat for years and the black color never faded. The hat also never shrank or tapered. You can also believe the waterproof part. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Akubra all the way

I have to say Akubra's hats and some of Lock & Co.'s hats are nice (except they are all made by Christie's now).
I bought an Akubra dress hat and it had a nice, soft felt that unfortunately tapered after a year and a half of extreme abuse. The Federation and its Deluxe cousin can be shaped into dressier hats if you choose to cut the brim down to a more palatable size and bashed without the tight Indiana Jones pinch.
I visited Lock over spring break, and they have some nice hats in their collection that seemd sturdy.
I can see where you're all coming from with Biltmore hats, though. My friend bought one from JJ Hat Center in NYC, and he loves it.

riccardo

Practically Family
TomMason said:
Anybody had any experience with the Akubra stylemaster?
Hi Tom,
I've one of it since a few month, it's quite a nice hat. Its felt is very smooth and soft; lightweight (for me).
It is a good modern hat, but understand, I said "modern hat"!
Hatsdirect.com is a good source, but a member here, getahaton.com has this hat in his catalogue.
I advice it!

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom, I've got two Stylemasters

a black and a fawn, and I've found both to be great hats. The black one was my first fedora, I've had it now for 11 years and it looks brand new. The fawn one is in the same condition, I've had it for about 6 years.

I have to admit I got quite a surprise when a friend first directed me to the Lounge and I read posts about Akubra; I had no idea the hats were marketed outside Australia. Here, the Federation and Fed. Deluxe are not sold in stores at all - well, at least not here in Sydney. Obviously they were designed for the overseas market. What you will find here in stores are a variety of bushman-style hats (Western style for my American friends) and the beloved Stylemaster.

I don't dare argue that the Stylemaster is in any way comparable with vintage hats (does anything made nowadays compare in quality and workmanship to what was made in decades past?). However, my hats have proven to be durable and, in my humble opinion, look great in brim and crown proportions.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Miller Chicago Hat

This is an interesting thread and I have been curious about the question that has been posed for some time. I have been eyeing the Miller Chicago Hat in Silverbelly and would like to know if ANYONE out there has purchased one or possibly one of its cousins from Miller. These are Biltmore lids I understand. Anyone out there have one?

Washington

New in Town
I haven't seen that one up close

but have had my eye on it. Nice lid, and as you say a Biltmore hat branded for Miller. In addition to the Akubra, Biltmore gets pretty decent reviews on this board.

Washington

riccardo

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
Anyone want to post pictures of a Stylemaster? I wouldn't mind seeing what they look like on people.

Here is my Stylemaster, pics isn't very good, but the hat is very nice.

HatCollection006.jpg

Front view:
HatCollection005.jpg

Regards.
Riccardo.

johnnycanuck

Thanks Riccardo
Always nice to see the product used rather then right out the box. Gives you a better idea of what it really looks like broken in. Thanks again.
Johnny

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Chicago Hat

Prairie Shade said:
This is an interesting thread and I have been curious about the question that has been posed for some time. I have been eyeing the Miller Chicago Hat in Silverbelly and would like to know if ANYONE out there has purchased one or possibly one of its cousins from Miller. These are Biltmore lids I understand. Anyone out there have one?

As a matter of fact, Shade, the Chicago was my most recent purchase from Miller, and I'm already considering another one. I got one in black, and I'm pretty happy with it. High, untapered crown, very vintage-looking. The finish of the felt is a little coarse, but as I understand it, that's normal for dark colors in modern hats. The best part is, you can request it open-crowned in the comments section of the order form! I shaped it easily without steam. I haven't worn it in bad weather (probably never will), so I can't speak to it's durability.
I also have a Baldwin and I used to have a Manhattan from Miller. They are slightly higher quality hats than the Chicago, but they have lower crowns. Either way, though, you'd get a nice lid.
Let me know if you need any more info! :)
NB

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Many Thanks!!!!

Not-Bogart - - - -Sounds like I should act on my impulse!! Interesting tho. I have a Guerra from Millers and I couldnt be more happy with a so called modern hat. Guess I better prepare the little woman for more misery!!!!

johnnycanuck

Good day TomMason
I remember that thread. What colour did you end up going with? What do you think of the hat? brim a bit wide? not wide enough? Is it heavy? Give us a review.
Johnny

TomMason

New in Town
Hi,

The Akubra Territory is sandtone. Yes the brim is large, but that is why one buys it. This is a real no nonsense hat. The size of the brim makes me reflect on the whole idea of hat size - ornaments etc, this hat has some romance/legend/image about it. Think of those marvelous feathered hat worn by the characters in Restorations era movie/books.

I am thinking about getting the leather ban (on the Territory) replaced with the cloth ban (what ever that is called vis-s-vis the orgianl Quaterman) and go from there. There is one slight problem and that is the line between independent/fashionsable (which most FL people are) and eccentric. I travel (a great deal for work) in a safari jacket and one of several hats - Open Road etc. - the Territory may take me over the edge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy