Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What IS the best modern production fedora?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day TomMason
Sounds nice to me. Makes me think of the hat Steve Rackman (Donk) wore in Crocodile Dundee 3. I am sorry I liked that move:p . But the hat fit the guy. :eek:fftopic: This is also getting off the "Best modern Production fedora" topic so I have started a new thread about what is a over the top hat.
Johnny

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Band change

TomMason said:
I am thinking about getting the leather ban (on the Territory) replaced with the cloth ban (what ever that is called vis-s-vis the orgianl Quaterman) and go from there. There is one slight problem and that is the line between independent/fashionsable (which most FL people are) and eccentric. I travel (a great deal for work) in a safari jacket and one of several hats - Open Road etc. - the Territory may take me over the edge!

I believe the style band you're looking for is called a "pugaree". Spelling may vary, but I've seen them sold on many hat websites. Aaron may even sell them (getahaton.com). My personal opinion would be, go for it! Not only will the band work well with your usual travel outfit, it will turn the hat into a true mark of individual personality. Besides, pugarees are quite popular on outback hats. :arated:
NB

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Of a few, here is the quality of modern assembly line hats from my perspective.

From best to worst

Biltmore
Akubra
Hatco -- Stetson, Dobbs, reistol
Bailey
Beaver Brand
Dorfman Pacific
Borsalino

Biltmore hats are more consistant in constructio from what I have seen adn they can take a beating.

Akubra has that coarse felt and will break down in a few years, though they do wear well.

Hatco is a hit and miss when it comes to felt qualities. Their hats lose shape quickly when hit by the elements and they droop and shrink prety fast.

Bailey is pretty much like Hatco hats.

Beaver Brand, I haven't owned one of thse as of yet, the ones I have seen seem stiff and the felt has a paper feel, its rank is just from word of mouth.

Dorfman Pacific make fur felt hats that are on par with what I have seen from Beaver Brand. Dorfman hats start out stiff then get softer, though they fail to hold their shape and shrink pretty fast.

Borsalino, This company makes really expensive fur felt bags.
After a month of wear and a little help from the elements you will put this hat in your worst catagory as well. If you could compare hats to paper, Borsalino would be tissue paper which has a hard time being handled by hands. If you have a modern Borsalino, I implore you to sell the hat and get one that will not turn to pulp in the rain.

Bargepole

New in Town
Give 'em a fair suck of the lolly, mate...

Matt Deckard said:
Akubra has that coarse felt and will break down in a few years, though they do wear well.

My Akubra (Cooper Pedy) is 15 years old. It's been through the Outback, pi**ed on by a horse, run over by an aeroplane (don't ask, but I confess to being the pilot), flown across the Nullarbor Plain lashed to the ADF aerial of the same aeroplane (ditto), fallen in numerous campfires, bitten by a young King Brown snake and generally traduced and maltreated.

It is now beginning to acquire a bit of a patina. In another 15 years, it'll probably be (in Australian bush terms) starting to look respectable.

No worries!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Modern hats

Matt ,I guess you dont like Borsalino . As a retailer I know why . The quality has gone down over the years as have all the other companies . I'm very suprised about the popularity of Biltmore . They do make nice hats but they aren't as well known in the USA . We do buy their silk and velour finishes .Perhaps it;s time to expand the line . The problem is they have no saleman in the North Eastern area . When the company was sold to it's present owners ,many of the salesman bolted from the company . As for Akubra, I know they make good hats but because of the distance of the factory from the USA , it doesn;t pay to sell them here . The one agent here sells them on his website and it is cheaper to but them directly from Australia.
The bottom line is , if you want a good hat that will last , save up and buy one from Art or Steve .
Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
I'm definitely in the minority but i do enjoy my borsalino as well as my guerra. heck i still like my old scala too. as to biltmore is there any reason to get a built for miller version insted of the actual biltmores sold by other internet stores such as hats plus , etc?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
No. Just realize that Biltmore makes a few different qualities and some stores like to play around and not tell the customers what they are really getting for their money .

Steven:D

Doh!

One Too Many
Barbisio?

What's the word on the street here about Barbisios? I searched but didn't find many opinions.

Anyway, I bought one back in March and like it just fine. Off the shelf it was open crown, but Hollywood Hatters gave it a nice teardrop bash for me. It was interesting to watch a pro in action.

I haven't gotten it wet... yet.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Matt D

Have seen or tried the Guerrera from Millers or whomever? They rank far above any Stetson or some of the others that you mentioned. The crown does taper somewhat, but the felt quality is superior to any other "new" hat I have seen or worn. Just looking for a second opinion, not paid by anyone to endorse their hats.

art92101

One of the Regulars
What about the Tesi Hats

Besdor, I noticed you have the Tesi and a Czech hat. Can you tell us a bit bout their qualities? I like shorter brims, <2.5 that's why i was looking at them. Thanks!
besdor said:
No. Just realize that Biltmore makes a few different qualities and some stores like to play around and not tell the customers what they are really getting for their money .

Steven:D

jml90

One of the Regulars
art92101 said:
Besdor, I noticed you have the Tesi and a Czech hat. Can you tell us a bit bout their qualities? I like shorter brims, <2.5 that's why i was looking at them. Thanks!
Tesi makes some hats for Borsalino (straws) take that with a grain of salt

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
Show your barbisio

Guerra is obviously one of the best and I own a modern Barbisio and its one of the few really good hat makers left too. Would you mind showing your Barbisio and were I could get one. If I remember Hollywodd hatters carries them but not online.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about Selentino ?

This one looked nice...
67_1.JPG

http://found here

looked great, but I know nothing about the company... anyone?

Doh!

One Too Many
I'll have to recharge my digital batteries but yeah, I'll try to grab photos of my Barbisio.

Hollywood Hatters is on Melrose near La Brea. The store is small, but it carries much more interesting stock than their website indicates. I've been there a few times and the stock seems to change every time.

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
By the way Steven, PROPS to you

Steven I remember I ordered a hat from you on the phone. My question is you work at bencraft hats yet you premote the best hatters ART and Steve and tell in depth the real story of the brands you sell. How can you afford to be so honest, I have to say shalom and good for you.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
There is a reason

gekisai29 said:
as to biltmore is there any reason to get a built for miller version insted of the actual biltmores sold by other internet stores such as hats plus , etc?

The up-sides to getting a Biltmore from Miller aren't huge, but...
First, the prices are a bit lower at Miller than most other places I've found Biltmores. The qualities available might not be top shelf Biltmore, but it's a great way to break into Biltmores. The other advantage is that Miller carries styles not available elsewhere, and more different styles than I've ever seen in one place for the brand.
NB

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Basically , I tell it like it is . We've been in business for 60 years and are Borsalino's largest customer in the USA . That doesn't mean that they make the best hat . Art's hats are far superior because he makes them one at a time unlike a big factory like Stetson or Borsalino where the hats are made like Ford makes cars .
As for Barbisio , they are a small factory located in Biella Italy . The factory has about 10 to 12 people working there and the way business is ,will probably not survive another ten years unless the hat market changes . This is true of Guerra and many other small factories in Europe . I wish that we could buy from all of them but we can't . They both make good hats with Cervo/Barbisio being the better of the two .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran