Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Vintage

Talbot

One Too Many
I love the T shirts marketed as vintage because they have artificially faded slogans on them. Makes me gnash my teeth.Where, who, what is Elwood anyway?

I think some of the issue has to do with personal perspective. I was collecting items from the 30's to 50's back in the 70's (much easier to do then than now). I'm continually challenged when people refer to things from the late 80's as vintage. Vintage has come to mean collectible which has come to mean valuable.

Perhaps someone should copyright the word, as Westin Hotels recently did with the word 'Heavenly'

Oops, scram here are the cops!!!!

YETI said:
During my freshman year in hs, I wore my dad's old 60s sharkskin trousers with Chuck Taylors and a t-shirt. I had no clue of vintage. All I cared about was that the pants had a cool drape with a nice taper and almost highwater look. Pegged pants were big in the early-mid 80s. I do regret wearing to shreds my pop's big e Levi's back then. I thought that selvedge seam was weird. :eusa_doh:

Ah, now we know don't we. :eusa_doh: :D

Talbot said:
I love the T shirts marketed as vintage because they have artificially faded slogans on them. Makes me gnash my teeth.Where, who, what is Elwood anyway?

I think some of the issue has to do with personal perspective. I was collecting items from the 30's to 50's back in the 70's (much easier to do then than now). I'm continually challenged when people refer to things from the late 80's as vintage. Vintage has come to mean collectible which has come to mean valuable.

Perhaps someone should copyright the word, as Westin Hotels recently did with the word 'Heavenly'

Oops, scram here are the cops!!!!

I could live with the word Collectable but vintage is stretching it with 70s and 80s stuff.

Elaina

One Too Many
My kid sister is hugely into the 80s. Rue21 was screaming "vintage looks" last time I was in. The gal asked me "anything I can help with?" I replied "Real vintage looks?" She and I laughed and both decided when you're barely in your 30s and they're bringing back grunge and 80s, there's a problem here.

It was a bad flashback to Square Pegs and Flashdance with a soundtrack by Nirvana.

Elaina said:
My kid sister is hugely into the 80s. Rue21 was screaming "vintage looks" last time I was in. The gal asked me "anything I can help with?" I replied "Real vintage looks?" She and I laughed and both decided when you're barely in your 30s and they're bringing back grunge and 80s, there's a problem here.

It was a bad flashback to Square Pegs and Flashdance with a soundtrack by Nirvana.

Not Nirvana---The Clash. ;) :p
Geez, I think I might still have some of that 80s stuff lying around. I wonder what I could get for it? :p

Elaina

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Not Nirvana---The Clash. ;) :p
Geez, I think I might still have some of that 80s stuff lying around. I wonder what I could get for it? :p

I don't! What I didn't cut up and re-purpose she stole it all, and I'm not sure I'd want to see it again.

I have a picture of me in bright red parachute pants, yellow shirt, and primary color suspenders, and jelly shoes for God's sake. I was sylin' (at 12). Why on earth would we want to redo those looks?

Elaina said:
I don't! What I didn't cut up and re-purpose she stole it all, and I'm not sure I'd want to see it again.

I have a picture of me in bright red parachute pants, yellow shirt, and primary color suspenders, and jelly shoes for God's sake. I was sylin' (at 12). Why on earth would we want to redo those looks?

Holy Crimony! You were really into the loud stuff then. I never owned any of those things. A good amount of Guess and such but no parachute pants, suspenders etc. etc. I think I still have a Members Only jacket somewhere too. ;) :p

Elaina

One Too Many
I can tell you have never met me.

No, even my stuff I make on vintage patterns is loud. I'm finishing up a 40s jacket, while in dark denim, has red, blue, green and yellow plaid taffeta. One of my favorite colors to wear is orange. Toning it down is red for me, or somber colors with eye catching detailing, that's even loud in its "look at me" styling.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I am not sure I can go with including the 1970s or even the late 60s stuff as vintage. Polyester and lousy cuts make it clearly distinct from 50s and earlier clothing and other items for that matter. For some reason, everything went to poo-poo after the mid 1960s in terms of quality in general.
Granted that there was indeed a planned obsolescence previously but people still demanded quality and, in the end, the products they produced were at least durable and lasted quite long even if the execs leading the company had a different idea. Call it pride in workmanship---even on the assemblyline---or whatever you want but things were meant to last back then. Heck, I am still driving a 52 year old truck nearly every day. :eek: I don't think they meant it to last that long but it has with minor PM.
1970s clothes are pretty easy to detect due to style quality and fabric and that is actually a bad thing for those items. ;) :p

Of course. You hate he seventies. :)

I agree, it was the beginning of the end. But at the same time, some of it is pretty cool and has some quality and style. Which is more than i can say about todays stuff.

As for mens suits, they tend to be kind of traditional cuts, with quality fabrics, high arm holes, etc.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:

don't know how old she is, but if one is old enough to have worn it the first time around, they should avoid it. Lest they look like they never stopped.

on the other hand, going to eighties dance nights are okay.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
My kid sister turned 14 last Saturday.

Not ALL of it was bad...just the revival stuff.

Then she is just the right age. of course, seeing teen agers wear stuff from my youth makes me feel a bit old.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Raise your hand if your cringe at any shop or online seller that touts something as "vintage clothing from the '80's." :rolleyes:

A new shop in town opened and touted "vintage" clothing. I wandered inside and saw acid wash jeans (lord have mercy), Stop Staring dresses, and a couple of Z Cavaricci pants, just to name a few of the "vintage" goodies they were selling. If it's barely 20-years old, it's "used" or "retro" at best. :D

reetpleat said:
As for mens suits, they tend to be kind of traditional cuts, with quality fabrics, high arm holes, etc.

I don't know what 1970s suit you have been exposed to but I have never seen a 1970s suit with high armholes or quality fabrics---much less decent looking fabrics. We are talking about the same era here right? When suits like this were common:
04_1.JPG

!B(YJBlwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKb8G+wFwg~~_35.JPG

!BWpvS5gBWk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKYfTvc7KQ~~_35.JPG

!B(I,vjQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmYd13BK,yHbCNo!~~_35.JPG

The sea of polyester, leisure suits and just plain ugly patterns abounded. I won't even mention bell bottoms---even on suit pants. Those ugly slash pockets on the pants. :eusa_doh: :eek: :(

Lily Powers said:
Raise your hand if your cringe at any shop or online seller that touts something as "vintage clothing from the '80's." :rolleyes:

A new shop in town opened and touted "vintage" clothing. I wandered inside and saw acid wash jeans (lord have mercy), Stop Staring dresses, and a couple of Z Cavaricci pants, just to name a few of the "vintage" goodies they were selling. If it's barely 20-years old, it's "used" or "retro" at best. :D

Cavaricci?! Oh geez! :eusa_doh: :eek: Vintage?! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Elaina said:
lol lol lol Maybe, but I was the second oldest mom there...none of the others were even into it then.

Even worse. "Ask Eliana.":p
I am sure there will be ocassions where I will be the oldest parent there as well so I can well understand that.
I just love getting asked if I've had some of my cars since new by young children. They are all from the 1950s. :rolleyes:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I don't know what 1970s suit you have been exposed to but I have never seen a 1970s suit with high armholes or quality fabrics---much less decent looking fabrics. We are talking about the same era here right? When suits like this were common:
04_1.JPG

!B(YJBlwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKb8G+wFwg~~_35.JPG

!BWpvS5gBWk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKYfTvc7KQ~~_35.JPG

!B(I,vjQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmYd13BK,yHbCNo!~~_35.JPG

The sea of polyester, leisure suits and just plain ugly patterns abounded. I won't even mention bell bottoms---even on suit pants. Those ugly slash pockets on the pants. :eusa_doh: :eek: :(

A trip to any thrift store should reveal at least one pin stripe, wool, three piece 20s style suit from the era. They typically have a vintage high armhole, snug chest cut.

look at Travoltas shoulders. that suit is as good as any vintage suit would fit. he is reaching out wiht one and raising the other arm. You couldn't do that in a modern suit and expect as little movement of the suit.

Contrary to opinion expressed on this forum, not every vintage suit from the thirties fit as well as Jimmy Cagney's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80