Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Vintage

reetpleat said:
A trip to any thrift store should reveal at least one pin stripe, wool, three piece 20s style suit from the era. They typically have a vintage high armhole, snug chest cut.

look at Travoltas shoulders. that suit is as good as any vintage suit would fit. he is reaching out wiht one and raising the other arm. You couldn't do that in a modern suit and expect as little movement of the suit.

Contrary to opinion expressed on this forum, not every vintage suit from the thirties fit as well as Jimmy Cagney's.

Travolta's suit fits lousy. The shoulders extend beyond his own shoulders. The shoulder padding rises up when he lifts his arm. If it were buttoned it would be more pronounced. The bell bottom pant legs are ridiculous and they get tight as they go up. :eusa_doh: I won't even mention the fit of the vest or those shoes. :eusa_doh: This is from a suit that was tailored for him int he 70s. :rolleyes:
I am glad you have a better experience with this stuff but from someone who actually wore these things when they were new, I am not impressed. :rolleyes: [huh]
They are not vintage either. I wouldn't even call them classic or good enough for rags for that matter but that is just my opinion. ;) :p

YETI

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
A trip to any thrift store should reveal at least one pin stripe, wool, three piece 20s style suit from the era. They typically have a vintage high armhole, snug chest cut.

look at Travoltas shoulders. that suit is as good as any vintage suit would fit. he is reaching out wiht one and raising the other arm. You couldn't do that in a modern suit and expect as little movement of the suit.

Contrary to opinion expressed on this forum, not every vintage suit from the thirties fit as well as Jimmy Cagney's.
I did see a very well made 70s db pinstripe for sale at La Rosa's Vintage in SF a few weeks back. The material had the weight and drape of a 30s 40s suit. Perhaps it was made from leftover bolts of fabric. The suit was from an English tailor. If not for the late 60s 70s long double vents, it would totally pass for 40s. Then again, I recall watching an installment of an early 40s movie series The Saint. And the lead character, who happened to be a Brit, wore coats and suits with vents...some quite high. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay