Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with me?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I had a motorcycle, or even a fast e-scooter things would be a bit different I imagine.

You would think so but I literally just bought a freaking Kevlar lined Hoodie with CE 2 armor in the pockets of all things....a hoodie!!

Granted, I don't ride far these days, just to Muay Thai training 10 minutes down the road but still....essentially my 1 excuse to wear leather and I don't!

I've literally sold off half of my collection of leather jackets over the past few months, I'm down from 14 to 7 with one more actively listed and I'm deciding if I need my Diamond Dave J-100 or if it goes too.

I have to say, I'm actually happier with less jackets, a lot happier!

Virtually all of my custom jacket are gone and I'm left with almost all off the rack jackets. ELMCs, a TFH race racer and 2 rogue Aeros that might very well go in the near future as well...

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
I understand what u are going thru Mike as I’m experiencing some of the same emotions with my boot collection. Fortunately I have learned from it so I have approached leather jackets more cautiously, I have 3 or 4 leather jackets that I don’t wear enough. I reach for my denim truckers and chore coats far more often than my leather.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
@Mawashi yeah I'm a pretty great lesson in learning shat not to buy. I've made that mistake a lot.

The good thing is you have first hand experience on a lot of the stuff unlike so many others who carp n criticise without ever even touching any of the stuff.

The plus too is you find great stuff too like the Vanson etc so there's nothing better than learning about what works best yourself.

I don't think I'll ever be able to pull off a x-zip but who knows when I'm in Japan this Nov I'll pop into some shops and try out a few styles just for fun.

My one and only jacket (it'll be on its way to HK then to Singapore) is the brakeman but I'm just itching for a Royale Enfield in octagon (I know it's a super long shot). I have so little experience w leather jackets cos it's just nuts to wear em here that blogs like yours really help.

All the best,

Mawashi

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Dude - seems nothing is really wrong. Just like we change colors on the walls in our houses, or trade in the car or motorcycle we use daily on a periodic basis, sometimes we just need change for the sake of change. I know there is a lot of negative press about this, I find myself thankful that I have the option to do it.

I started out this season wearing the Aero Indian Ranger nearly 100% of the time, then when cooler weather arrived I moved to the LW J-23. I mixed in the US-Made CR for a little while, then I bought a Freenote Cloth Waxed cotton button up jacket that is lined, and I wore it nearly 100% of the time for several weeks. I am gradually working back into the leather jackets again before the season runs out, but yeah, I get it. Sometimes we just need to swap things up.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
When I start feeling the weight of my “stuff” it‘s usually a sign to maybe lighten the load a little bit. It’s different for everybody, but I can kind of sense when I’ve either gotten too carried away with something or the amount that I own of it exceeds my ability to wear, use or play it etc. I don’t know why, but five seems to be a comfortable number for me. It‘s manageable (space and money wise) and I can usually identify which one has to go for the ”one in, one out” rule. The “rule” allows me to continue the quest for the ultimate guitar, jacket, boot or motorcycle… without feeling like the next episode of hoarders. Plus, I really like the catch and release thing for a non keeper. It gives you a chance to get to know something, experience it in person and learn what you like and don’t like about it (or maybe what size you really need) and I think it’s kind of fun selling the things that didn't make the cut.

I don’t really comment on here very often, but have thoroughly enjoyed this site and learned more than I thought was even possible. Thank you to all the contributors!

Pandemic

One Too Many
I’m trying to show a bit more moderation.

My style swings every few years a little like a pendulum between a few different eras/influences. Right now leaning more into something a little dressier and perhaps conservative than the leather, boots, denim vintage style of the last few years. But sure I’ll swing back that way again in the future, so now I know not to sell all my favorite boots and jackets.

Goel

A-List Customer
For me it's about comfort, but I also dislike anything that feels too showy. My midweight horsehide jacket, for as great as the pattern is and all that, is still a stiff beast and I hesitate to pick up unless I can find something that looks good with it. Goatskin? Lightweight, understated and great for any weather. I'll probably be replacing the former with deerskin or some other antelope leather. I also got rid of my hoodies which helped.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
When I start feeling the weight of my “stuff” it‘s usually a sign to maybe lighten the load a little bit. It’s different for everybody, but I can kind of sense when I’ve either gotten too carried away with something or the amount that I own of it exceeds my ability to wear, use or play it etc. I don’t know why, but five seems to be a comfortable number for me. It‘s manageable (space and money wise) and I can usually identify which one has to go for the ”one in, one out” rule. The “rule” allows me to continue the quest for the ultimate guitar, jacket, boot or motorcycle… without feeling like the next episode of hoarders. Plus, I really like the catch and release thing for a non keeper. It gives you a chance to get to know something, experience it in person and learn what you like and don’t like about it (or maybe what size you really need) and I think it’s kind of fun selling the things that didn't make the cut.

I don’t really comment on here very often, but have thoroughly enjoyed this site and learned more than I thought was even possible. Thank you to all the contributors!
I’m with you. Although I maintain multiple hobbies, they tend to cycle heavily toward one or the other. I often feel like I end up going overboard at times, which triggers a purge. I’ve recently caught the motorcycle bug again, and have sold off a few of my jackets, and nearly my entire guitar collection to fund a couple bikes recently. I’m down to 4 “nice” jackets and that feels good for now! Surely, I’ll swing back into it later and end up with a dozen again. After I sell a bike of course..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112