Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Dm101

A-List Customer
I know you dig the telescope and it's your signature look, but in my experience I've found that sometimes old habits are hard to break and the hat does what it wants. You can't force it. I've tried a few different creases in my old beater Dobbs and it still wants to revert back to something a bit more wonky, so I've accepted to embrace it for what it is. Vintage hats seem to take on a life of their own.

Well, I can definitely take the rectangle center inside the circle/oval...but it sure wasn't what I was aiming for...lol.
It is definitely different...and that suits me just right I guess. Figures my first real beaver hat would be a resounding reflection of my weirdness...lol.

^^^^^ Have you tried getting it soaking wet? I pretty much have to do that with western weight felts. If it was good enough for Roy...

Oh wow!! I'll give that a shot tomorrow night if I can get away from the wife.
If it worked for Roy, I'm sure it'll work for me...and steam definitely wasn't enough to set this crown.
Thanks!!

Dm101

A-List Customer
I'VE GOT IT!!

I'll call it....THE GOAT-EYE HAT!!!

6a00d8341c5dea53ef01bb0a059742970d-pi

edd077f4e412744dc0c49dcc5e3898bd.jpg

Well, I can definitely take the rectangle center inside the circle/oval...but it sure wasn't what I was aiming for...lol.
It is definitely different...and that suits me just right I guess. Figures my first real beaver hat would be a resounding reflection of my weirdness...lol...
I like it with the rectangle/circle combo, but it isn't my hat. That being said, I don't know what your technique is but I've always had better luck changing the creases on my hats by returning them to their open crown shape first. This is strictly amateur hour, but I saturate the crown by spraying it with distilled water, push it up and out, then use a smallish stainless steel mixing bowl inside the crown as a "block/form" to remove as much evidence of the previous crease(s) as possible, and set the hat aside to let it dry thoroughly. A day or two later I spray it again, then attempt the new crease. It isn't foolproof, and my hats have usually wanted to revert to their previous crease(s) while I'm trying to give them their new shape, but I keep working with them until they get the message and conform to their new shape. I've never worked with nutria so I don't know if it'll respond the same as my rabbit felts have, but if you have the time it couldn't hurt to try.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I like it with the rectangle/circle combo, but it isn't my hat. That being said, I don't know what your technique is but I've always had better luck changing the creases on my hats by returning them to their open crown shape first. This is strictly amateur hour, but I saturate the crown by spraying it with distilled water, push it up and out, then use a smallish stainless steel mixing bowl inside the crown as a "block/form" to remove as much evidence of the previous crease(s) as possible, and set the hat aside to let it dry thoroughly. A day or two later I spray it again, then attempt the new crease. It isn't foolproof, and my hats have usually wanted to revert to their previous crease(s) while I'm trying to give them their new shape, but I keep working with them until they get the message and conform to their new shape. I've never worked with nutria so I don't know if it'll respond the same as my rabbit felts have, but if you have the time it couldn't hurt to try.

Thank you for the advice.
That's the one thing I didn't have on hand...something to push the crown out after popping out that godawful cattleman. I just used my hands and a little steam. I'm good with the goat-eye/brick for now...but I will probably submit the hat to a professional for the actual shape that I desire.
I just don't have the skill.
Tried to make a circle...wound up with a square.
I will try the method that you've outlined after I pick up a bowl to go in the crown to push it out today.
But today....I'm wearing my smelly old vintage tan goat-eye beaver hat!
lol...I'm gonna be so uncomfortable today.
why do I do this to myself...

Dm101

A-List Customer
Hey Dm:
Try Googling how to steam a telecope crease, or words to that effect. Then videos, i recall a great one by Kevin at one of the NY hatters doing one and it was perfect. Hope you can find it.
I think they may call him Kevin the Hatter and he is very very well known. Maybe at NY Hatters. Hard to remember.
Bowen

Ahhh yes, I know him as Kevin the Guitarist though.
We trade videos on youtube! His hat technique is fun to watch and I've spoken with him quite a few times. I guess I'll be talking to him about hats now...lol.
Small friggin world.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
That’s it! Couldn’t remember. Thanks
His vids are good.
Bowen

Edit: the particular one where he uses a block to do a porkpie is like...”good idea, why didn’t i think of that”, easy.
Pretty sure it was a Kevin vid.

I am a fan of the porkpie / telescope crown style. I've seen the video (or similiar ones) using the dome-block method. It's okay to get started, but the result tends to be too round. I always pull them more into an oval by hand. This way I also get slightly falling slopes from the sides to back and front. IMO hand creased crowns always give a hat more character :)

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
I love the telescope.
The Roy Rogers "double telescope", the beautiful "teardrop telescope", and the "porkpie telescope".

All flat.

All of my hats will have their signature telescope crease. I just need to find some beaters to practice on...lol.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
782932feaaeb2c1d5fe3078d40d5558a.jpg
3ba227955b38b2e9bf6818dccd3d1446.jpg
417f765924f8288ade9d392da9faa907.jpg

Outstanding. Clearly you control your hats and your hats don't control you. The Porkpie and Teardrop are great.

Dm101

A-List Customer
Outstanding. Clearly you control your hats and your hats don't control you. The Porkpie and Teardrop are great.
Well, the teardrop was someone else's hat....unfortunately. Tried to do it with my new hat and nothing but failure.
I'll keep at it though...lol.

Dm101

A-List Customer
Well...batting zero today. Broke my toe arguing over stupid stuff and decided kicking the chair was a good idea, bandaged it up and went to work anyway mad and jumped a snowdrift in my civic...Broke the cover off my catalytic converter, now I've decided to force the crease right on my new hat.
WHETHER IT LIKES IT OR NOT!!

Im already losing...so why not.

Roy Rogers said to get the hat soaking wet, and then try creasing it...so that's what I done.

If this doesn't get the stupid " lips" outta the friggin crown, i'm gonna just send it off for "retraining" at the JJ Hatters in NYC.
This goat-eye is friggin ridiculous...
9fe571dc649207431fa7dee6ef81db01.jpg
5c5f991ef6ff610b53f84c2d16e115ab.jpg
7f5632f9d16f6af5b18ec5da5182f0d9.jpg
e7d8534e4cb5be083a52f0187e1b4104.jpg
44205d5e34771bd6325aefeb0a721bbe.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think you are trying to hard. I did a similar crease and didn't needed such "brute force".
I wet the crown, use my head to push it inverted (like trying to reverse the hat) and let it dry. Later pushed the top of the crown up. It's hard to explain...

Im already losing...so why not.

Roy Rogers said to get the hat soaking wet, and then try creasing it...so that's what I done.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I think you are trying to hard. I did a similar crease and didn't needed such "brute force".
I wet the crown, use my head to push it inverted (like trying to reverse the hat) and let it dry. Later pushed the top of the crown up. It's hard to explain...

I wish I had your luck (and skill) but I'm cursed (to put it lightly) and these things never work easily for me. I'm all made backwards man, what comes easy to others is near impossible to me...and what's wacky hard for others I seem to do easily....most times, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner