Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

jester

New in Town
I've been using Revlon creme gloss in Cherry Tart but I'm sick of the gloss, my hair gets in it and it's just so shiny, I feel sort of trashy! (I got it for the name...) anyway, I just bought Avon Red 2000 so when it comes in I'll have to take a picture. It looks like a blue-based true red in the magazine ad, but the online looks more demure, so we'll see. (I, too, am on a budget and can't afford MAC/Sephora/etc. but I've done well with Avon.)

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
I too am interested in stains. Would you kindly direct me to thread you mentioned? Please and thank you

So sorry, dmoran227, I've been offline...the thread I found is here There were a couple of stains mentioned here - but I can't remember which page! One I remember was Benetint from Benefit cosmetics - too "blue" for me, though. I'm going to do some shopping around at various drugmarts and cosmetics counters to see what I can find. For some strange reason I remember years ago that Shisedo came out with a stain that you could only take off with their special remover. Probably long-since discontinued, but worth a shot, I guess.

One trick I've tried is using red-coloured sugar in Vaseline as a scrub - it leaves a hint of pink behind (just be careful to stay within the lipline). I'm sure that any lip gloss(? for lack of a better term) would work the same...*shrugs*

Please accept my apologies again, dmoran - I'll try and log in more often :D

Last edited:

MissElainey

Familiar Face
I just bought Mabelline's "Are You Red-dy". It looked blue-red in the tube, but when it's on, it seems a wee bit too orangey for me for some reason. Disappointing for $8.

My personal favorite so far is a true blue-ish red from Nyx called "Electra". It's definitely what I call scarlet. And it is not shiny, but it's so amazingly smooth and creamy. Just a delight to put on.

dmoran227

Familiar Face
No worries, I like benetint, I even make my own beet tint which is very similar. I actually haven't done it in a while, maybe I will. The scrub is a good idea, I make a lot of cosmetics, maybe I could even take one of the many imperfect for one reason or another reds I have and try it. The reason I ask is some days at work, depending on my mood and whatever i'm just not up to full on red. I think everything else has to be ON POINT to wear a red lip and honestly, most days I'm not. Having to be to work by 7:30 is the killer. A stain would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Black Dahlia, I like the dark red one but the light one has it's place too. Can't afford any MACs right now. Got mine as charity.;)

I didn't try the light one, usually light colours don't suit me. Make me look all washed out with the pale skin. Hmmm...I'm going to contemplate what you've asked, amplified vs. cremesheen vs. lustre...I like them all and matte!
X
BD

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Beetstain

Oooh, beet tint? Now I'm all curious...any chance you're willing to either post or pm your recipe?? :D

Of course I would, that's what we're here for, exchange ideas and info? It's super easy here's a link to my blog post on it:whistling: yes I could have just posted, I am not trying to get you to check out my blog:whistling

Femme Fatale

New in Town
I just bought Revlon Just Bitten in Gothic that I absolutely love. It is hard to find a deep enough red for my skin tone ( sometimes reds look orangey on me, meh) but this one is the perfect shade. I don't really like the applicator because it looks like a magic marker but you are able to control the intensity of the color easily which I love. I paid about $8 for it but it's so hard for me to find a red i love that i'll deal with it the price.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
A new red lipstick just arrived for me in the mail! I have been using Rimmel Icon (a bright, bright red), which I bought for around $2, but splashed out on a hideously expensive YSL Rouge Volupte this time. And it's a perfect deep red for me (Rouge Taboo). I prefer a deeper, more gothic look, especially as I'm very pale with dark hair but yellow-ish/olive undertones to my skin.

So expensive, but I got it for less than the Australian RRP, so I'm happy.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
dmoran - nice looking blog! Will be reading more, but I did read the link you supplied (and left a comment, silly me lol ) off topic - I see you're a fan of Casey's Elegant Musings, too... :)

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Well, it's not my absolute favorite, but I thought I'd let you know.... I normally carry my lipstick and a couple other makeup basics with a little compact in a zippered bag that then goes in my purse. The red lipstick I had in there, a normal cheap scarlet one (I can't remember the brand, sorry) cme open! The lid came of and I stained my hands getting it off all my other cosmetics.
Yuck.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up a new red lipstick at the drugstore and it's AMAZING. It's one of those long wearing ones that comes with a gloss to keep it moist, the kind that are usually very drying and occasionally flakey. This one doesn't flake, doesn't feel too dry and comes with a moisturizing top coat that's not really a gloss - it's very comfortable to wear, doesn't come off on anything and is very difficult to get off!

Maybelline Superstay Lipcolor in color 744, "Red". It's a nice, bright, blue-based red.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks, KittyT, I may try this one. I've tried the stains before and have been moderately happy, but hate applying the gloss every half hour! Plus I'm always looking for a nice blue-red.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, KittyT, I may try this one. I've tried the stains before and have been moderately happy, but hate applying the gloss every half hour! Plus I'm always looking for a nice blue-red.

I didn't have it on for that long, maybe 3 or 4 hours, but I only reapplied the gloss once.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Sounds very interesting, thanks for the tip KittyT! I've found that the Covergirl two step is drying, even though I apply the "gloss" almost every half hour / hour it seems. And the straight stain is nice, but it can't handle my gloss (too many oils, I guess - the stain wears off quickly). Sadly, my gloss (Body Shop Hemp) is the only one that my lips and I agree with! lol

Tatum

Practically Family
I just picked up a Mac Pro Longwear in Lasting Lust. I wore it to work last night, and it was great! I didn't even use the gloss overcoat, as the Mac consultant said that it would just feel like I had nothing on if it wore off. I liked that idea, so I gave it a go. She also said it would be a great liner for Ruby Woo! There was almost no transfer all night, the only gripe was that after a few hours I noticed that I was "bare" on the insides of my lips, right where they get moist. It also was not as dry as some of the other longwears I have used (like Loreal in Target Red).

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Hi, was wondering if I could get some quick help (without having to sort through this thread) I am frugal when it comes to makeup and need some recomends on best bet reds available at stores like Walgreens etc.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy