Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just got my Rockalilly Roulette Red. It's not as cool/blue as I had hoped, but it's nice and creamy, not drying at all.
5937458985_6e50cde02e.jpg

HepKitty

One Too Many
Oh i love NYC, i may have to give that a whirl. I agree lip liner is a must.

I do love Ruby Woo, but i also have to reapply, but actually i quite like whipping out my compact, i think it's acceptable to retouch in public or at work with a nice vintage compact.

Glad to see you back again Hepkitty, you look ravishing in your new avatar pic!

thank you dahling I've missed you all :) I admit I'm bad about checking up on threads because I forget I post in them. ok it's really because I'll get so lost in trying to catch up that my day will be gone here before I know it :D at least now I have some time...

HepKitty

One Too Many
I'm putting it on as I type this! It's lovely, not sticky at all :)

Do you find their lipsticks have a distinct smell, almost like a crayon? It's not as harsh as other drugstore brands, but its somethin'.

it smells to me as if they took a bowl of wax fruit and tried to make it smell like fruit. kinda weird really but not intolerable. for cheap lipstick it's not bad and it will do in a pinch

speaking of the Rockalily stuff, I'd love to try the Roulette red but it's not in the budget right now. wow that's expensive for lipstick!

Antje

One Too Many
Antje - this is off topic, but what eyeliner do you use? I just adore your makeup and hair-dos :) Your tutorials are fantastic!

Oh thank you so much!! I use a liqued liner from Loreal at the moment, but I also love max factor liqued liners, I prefer a brush over a pen, if you know what i mean.
And thank for liking my tutorials, maybe I do some more but editing is difficult enough.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
speaking of the Rockalily stuff, I'd love to try the Roulette red but it's not in the budget right now. wow that's expensive for lipstick!
With the shipping and currency exchange, it came out to about $26.50. That's pretty close to Besame, which I thought was worth it. I normally don't spend that much money on a lipstick but thought that if it was highly pigmented like Besame, it would be worth it. Now, after wearing it a few days, I would say it's not worth it. With Besame, I apply it in the morning and it lasts all day, even through a meal. The Rockalily isn't highly concentrated. It wears like Revlon. I need to reapply it after each meal or even after drinking. One tube of Besame lasts at least 18months. In the same time, I'd buy 2, maybe 3 Revlons.

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
With the shipping and currency exchange, it came out to about $26.50. That's pretty close to Besame, which I thought was worth it. I normally don't spend that much money on a lipstick but thought that if it was highly pigmented like Besame, it would be worth it. Now, after wearing it a few days, I would say it's not worth it. With Besame, I apply it in the morning and it lasts all day, even through a meal. The Rockalily isn't highly concentrated. It wears like Revlon. I need to reapply it after each meal or even after drinking. One tube of Besame lasts at least 18months. In the same time, I'd buy 2, maybe 3 Revlons.

eeek! thanks for the info. if I'm ever so fabulously wealthy, I'll go for the Besame stuff :D

Louise Anne

Suspended
I been reading this with great interest over the last few night well there are pages of it, becuse when I tried red lipstick I have always attracted adverse comments about wearing red and has put me off red now going over to more pink or darker purple shades.

Red is more vintage correct than many shades today , it's not from here but in other vintage communities who seam to make these comments to me about red.

is it that red just stands out more than other shades.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I don't know, I'd say it depends on the source of the comments. Some have the opinion that makeup should be subdued and natural, ala Bobbi Brown-style. That's one look, but not usually the vintage one. Use your own judgment about which shade looks good for you and wear it proudly. If that takes some working up to, then do so gradually. Other people will always have something to say about your stepping outside the norm. It goes with the territory.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Paul, I think it's probably a combination of 2 things, the shade of red and getting used to it. Anybody can wear red, but it has to go with your coloring. For example, if you have reddish undertones to your skin, a blue based red usually works nicely, like the 3rd from the left in your lipstick picture. If you have yellow or olive undertones in your skin, a warmer red is better, like the far right lipstick in your picture. As to getting used to it, it takes time. When I first started wearing red, I felt like everyone was starring at me, so I'd only wear it for more formal occasions. It took me nearly a year to get used to wearing it everyday.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Paul, I think it's probably a combination of 2 things, the shade of red and getting used to it. Anybody can wear red, but it has to go with your coloring. For example, if you have reddish undertones to your skin, a blue based red usually works nicely, like the 3rd from the left in your lipstick picture. If you have yellow or olive undertones in your skin, a warmer red is better, like the far right lipstick in your picture. As to getting used to it, it takes time. When I first started wearing red, I felt like everyone was starring at me, so I'd only wear it for more formal occasions. It took me nearly a year to get used to wearing it everyday.

Thank you! the 3rd from the left happens to be my favorite shade of those four. I sure you right about getting use to Red,

Antje

One Too Many
Indeed, you have to get used to it, when I was starting with red lips I always tried to get rid of it very soon, but with a little time I was wearing it everyday, and now I'm naked without it

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think people are more inclined to make negative comments when they sense you aren't 100% confident with your look. Before I got used to wearing hats, for example, people would all the time look at me funny or tell me how ridiculous I looked. But I was determined to wear them, and once my confidence filled in, the negative comments stopped, and the positives began :)

You wear the lipstick - The lipstick doesn't wear you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24