Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Those burgundy/brick red shades look lovely, Pina Bridgette! They remind me of this pic:

2633843885_0358ecf326.jpg

Look how tiny her lippie is! Like the Bésame ones.

Is that one of those photographs from WWII Paris? I found this person on Flickr, he has some really good photos.

Reminds me of this one:

2640116370_07ffa8830e.jpg

But I wonder if the colors were really like that or if it's just the limited color photo technique of the time...

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
Anyone know of a company that makes/made a lipstick color called Demi Red? I was looking at my old confetti vanity compact & saw that I'd put a red lipstick in there, and all I can remember about the name is it was called Demi Red. It looks good, and I have a whole stick of it, because I was always too chicken to wear red lipstick. It tastes like crayons, but I don't care. :eek:

I don't think anyone answered this one. I used to have a red lipstick called Demi Red by Almay. It was a sheer moisturizing one. It was a nice shade that I used to wear to work sometimes. Not sure if they still make it.

Anyway, I've been mostly wearing Revlon's Wine with Everything lately instead of red. I also have a red Aromaleigh lip-gloss that I use sometimes, but it is discontinued.

However, I'd like to get a nice brick red, or orange red in a few months when Autumn comes around.

Blondie

Practically Family
I have said before how much i love Julie Hewett lipsticks,
her reds in the Noir line ( in gold cases ), i think there are 6 from memory,
are AMAZING and the formula is fabulous, highly pigmented, not drying and not oily, it just stays on and on and on..........
Anyway got an email today saying 25 % off with this code
JHLA25
good till October 1
& free shipping in the USA,
She did the lipsticks for Pearl Harbour !
www.juliehewett.net

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
On my neverending quest for red lipstick, I found a vivid red lipgloss in our equivalent of a dollar store... Applied a few times in turn with powdering my lips and blotting them wth paper in the end (to make it matte - then it comes out as a decent red!)
It *is* a bit pink...but all reds look pink on me!
I will upload a pic when I find my damn camera-to-computer thing. lol

Do any of you gals have recs for other matte lippies?? (I've noticed that mattes are best on me). They don't have to be red. :)
You can see my couring in my avatar. (My eyes are green by the way)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Tinseltown, I too have difficulties finding reds that don't look pink.
Here's a couple that work for me (yellowish skintone, brown hair, hazel/green eyes):

MAC You Say Tomato (ltd but could probably be found on ebay) and Lady Danger
Bésame Red Hot Red and Carmine and Merlot

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Thank you ShrinkingViolet!
I saw Cherry Lips wearing Lady Dnger in the Pin Up thread so I will de check that one out.
The gloss I am talking about is available in TIGER. ;)

I see you girls are going to Cinemateket during Golden Days! I am so damn sad that they only have one showing, as I am going to a birthday that evening. Bohooo. :( I'd really like to hang out with all you scandinavian gals sometime!

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Shrinking Violet & Laura Chase - those snapshots are so lovely! I am a fan of those candid poses.

Blondie - be still my heart! you are going to make us all so poor but we will have lovely red lippies! Thank you!

P.

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
I have said before how much i love Julie Hewett lipsticks,
her reds in the Noir line ( in gold cases ), i think there are 6 from memory,
are AMAZING and the formula is fabulous, highly pigmented, not drying and not oily, it just stays on and on and on..........
Anyway got an email today saying 25 % off with this code
JHLA25
good till October 1
& free shipping in the USA,
She did the lipsticks for Pearl Harbour !
www.juliehewett.net

I checked the website out and they look like fabulous lipsticks! I'd like to try the Rouge Noir and Belle Noir. Thanks Blondie! If Besame stops making those bullet sized gold casings, this is the next best thing as far as packaging goes. Right now, I'm a Besame Red Hot Red lippie.

Blondie

Practically Family
Vix Vixen ~ your skin is AMAZING and i am sure any red would look fabulous on you !
Are you in a wedding dress in your avatar pic ?

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
Vix Vixen ~ your skin is AMAZING and i am sure any red would look fabulous on you !
Are you in a wedding dress in your avatar pic ?

Thank you!:D And yes, I am in a wedding dress! I have full photos in this thread. I was using Besame's Red Velvet in those photos. I hope these photos can help anyone interested in that color.

*ValleyGirl14*

New in Town
Lovely wedding gown Vix Vixen!

And for lipstick shade/brand. I use Loreal infallible lipgloss in rebel red. It's not lipstick and it doesn't last for more than three hours. But it's great to wear dolled up or casual :)

Blondie

Practically Family
OMG Vix Vixen, you look fabulous in those wedding pics,
loved the mantilla ! and the way your roses matched your lipstick,
I NEED your secrets for your amazing skin now !

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
OMG Vix Vixen, you look fabulous in those wedding pics,
loved the mantilla ! and the way your roses matched your lipstick,
I NEED your secrets for your amazing skin now !

Its all an illusion! lol. I use a good yellow toned concealer (before applying foundation) for under my eyes and any imperfections. To make it look clear and even, I use Make Up For Ever face&body liquid foundation and translucent powder to set it. It's actually my skin's perfect match! I don't have to mix it with anything to make it lighter/darker. Then I do a bit of highlighting and contouring, add the blush and eye makeup, red lipstick for the finishing touch, and voila! As for skin care, I use the target knock of st. ive's face scrub and target's face cleansing towelettes for makeup removal. If I'm on the go, I just use Besame's yellow cameo foundation for under my eyes and any imperfections here and there (unfortunately, they sold out of those before I got to stock up during the sales event), and (translucent) powder to set and so on with the blush, eyes and lipstick. That's pretty much it!

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
AudreyH said:
I just love this shade of red lipstick Audrey Hepburn is wearing. :)
audreyhepburn000.jpg

That is a GORGEOUS red! I WANT THAT! lol

Even tho it looks like a perfect true red, I bet it has a bit of blue in it cuz it goes great with the bluish background and what Audrey is wearing. I wore something similar to that on my California I.D. (I'm using Besame Red in it, which I look surprisingly pretty good in cuz I know I can't really pull off the red/blue lips. Thanks for sharing AudreyH!

AudreyH

Familiar Face
Vix Vixen said:
That is a GORGEOUS red! I WANT THAT! lol

Even tho it looks like a perfect true red, I bet it has a bit of blue in it cuz it goes great with the bluish background and what Audrey is wearing. I wore something similar to that on my California I.D. (I'm using Besame Red in it, which I look surprisingly pretty good in cuz I know I can't really pull off the red/blue lips. Thanks for sharing AudreyH!
I want that red too! lol I'm sure you look gorgeous in your California I.D. I used to live in California, but I moved to Oregon. Also, your welcome. :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Scruff, my every day shade is Mac Brick-o-la, which is described as "Lip building mid-tone berry" and I find it perfect for me.

What does everyone do here if they have a hot date and want to wear their usual red lippy? I wouldn't want to kiss someone wearing something so dark, but at the same time I feel naked without it! I don't actually have a hot date, but I might some time! lol

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
i_am_the_scruff said:
I want a burgandy shade. Any reccomendations? Dark berry kind of colour but not too dark.. hmm sounds nice.

Pina Bridgette posted pics of some very nice wine shades on the previous page ... I like Bésame merlot. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy