Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Has anyone tried the new Clinique red, called Red-y To Wear? I saw it in a magazine, and it looked like a good vintage red. Their bonus time is coming up soon in my area and thought I might try it out.

P219432_hero.jpg

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
i_am_the_scruff said:
I want a burgandy shade. Any reccomendations? Dark berry kind of colour but not too dark.. hmm sounds nice.

Maybe you can use Besame's Noir red. It's a dark berry color. I wouldn't say Besame's Cherry red bcuz that's still a bit on the red side. Noir red is pretty dark (Although I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm sure you've seen some of the ladies in here with it on), but you can use it as a stain so it's not too dark that it overpowers your face.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
texasgirl said:
Has anyone tried the new Clinique red, called Red-y To Wear? I saw it in a magazine, and it looked like a good vintage red. Their bonus time is coming up soon in my area and thought I might try it out.

P219432_hero.jpg
That's a pretty red. I used that for my most recent ballet performance.:)

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Vix Vixen said:
Maybe you can use Besame's Noir red. It's a dark berry color. I wouldn't say Besame's Cherry red bcuz that's still a bit on the red side. Noir red is pretty dark (Although I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm sure you've seen some of the ladies in here with it on), but you can use it as a stain so it's not too dark that it overpowers your face.
Thanks i'll check that one out too. :D

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
I like Revlon's Just Bitten line,i love all the red shades,but i absolutley love Plum Wicked.It just gives my lips a really dark burgundy color,like the girls in the 20's.
xxx

Odalisque

A-List Customer
sweatyspaghetti said:
I like Revlon's Just Bitten line,i love all the red shades,but i absolutley love Plum Wicked.It just gives my lips a really dark burgundy color,like the girls in the 20's.
xxx

I tried that stain in the blood orange. beautiful color but the actual product went on horribly. Really uneven. Maybe I'm applying it wrong. Do you have any tips because I'd love to wear it and have it look nice.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
When I moisturise, apply foundation and powder, I make sure to apply all these to my lips as well. Then line them in a good liner (i have had good luck with revlon and loreal, chanel if I am splurging) and apply your lipstick. Wait a couple minutes, then blot with a tissue. If you are going for a matte look, you can always lightly dust your lips with a little bit of powder after blotting. This usually keeps mine from feathering....BUT some lipsticks feather on me no matter what, especially when I put a gloss over them.

Ashes Of Roses

New in Town
MissAmelina said:
When I moisturise, apply foundation and powder, I make sure to apply all these to my lips as well. Then line them in a good liner (i have had good luck with revlon and loreal, chanel if I am splurging) and apply your lipstick. Wait a couple minutes, then blot with a tissue. If you are going for a matte look, you can always lightly dust your lips with a little bit of powder after blotting. This usually keeps mine from feathering....BUT some lipsticks feather on me no matter what, especially when I put a gloss over them.

Thanks! Good tips!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

If you're talking about true red, Besame Red and the deeper Red Hot Red by Besame is my answer.
The perfect orange-red would be Lady Danger* by Mac.
As for brown-red Red Velvet by Besame and the deeper Red Drama by Clinique.

* Actually, I would like to hype Lady Danger a bit: It's matte (if you use prep + prime it's not drying) and pretty orange depending on the light. It's a very vintage shade that works for 30s, 40s and 50s! It suits gals with both pink skin tones and yellow tones! Everybody's been hyping Russian Red and Ruby Woo, but those lippies don't even look like proper reds on me. I would never buy them.

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
Ruby Woo by Mac is my signature color. My other favorites, which I wear less often but still really love are by NARS. Those colors are "Fire Down Below", "Red Lizard", and "Manhunt". I make sure to always own a tube of "Ruby Woo" and "Fire Down Below", and keep the other two optional.

The "Fire Down Below" shade goes on so deep and dark compared to the bright red of the "Ruby Woo". Therefore, I think the "Fire Down Below" looks more 20s or 30s, and the "Ruby Woo" looks more 40s to me.

I looooooove lipstick! So dreamy! :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
The Revlon thread got me thinking about all my lost loves.

I'm just trying to find Revlon! It used to be my favorite brand and they had my favorite shades and good formulation.:( Cherries in the snow used to be one of my favorites. I also miss Vixen which in the latter half of the 90s was my signature shade. Rum Raisin, Toast of New York, and Wine with everything. I think it's the brand I've had the most favorite shades in. I really, really miss that Vixen.

Unfortunately, the cosmetics brands often discontinue shades these days. At least I'm glad that there's a trend in berries, dark berry/purple-browns and nearly blacks again this season. Plain black is fine with me but this is a thread about reds.:) I think Cherries In The Snow is the only shade I'd wear in Spring/Summer though if I could find it.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:

I'm just trying to find Revlon! It used to be my favorite brand and they had my favorite shades and good formulation.:( Cherries in the snow used to be one of my favorites. I also miss Vixen which in the latter half of the 90s was my signature shade. Rum Raisin, Toast of New York, and Wine with everything. I think it's the brand I've had the most favorite shades in. I really, really miss that Vixen.

Unfortunately, the cosmetics brands often discontinue shades these days. At least I'm glad that there's a trend in berries, dark berry/purple-browns and nearly blacks again this season. Plain black is fine with me but this is a thread about reds.:) I think Cherries In The Snow is the only shade I'd wear in Spring/Summer though if I could find it.

I love Revlon and have been using it for years!

I have my Vixen nail polish too - I hardly wear it, but I love it so much I wont throw it out. Its one of those colours you have to get right when you put it on though, and I dont always have the time!

I used to love Toast of New York :eek:

They also made a nice one about circa 1995/1996 called "Exotica" that was pretty too

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lillemor said:

Crazy! I totally wore all those same shades!!I had multiples of each for YEARS. An while I never wore Vixen as a lipstick, I had the nail polish for years.. I think I finally tossed the bottle a year ago. I've literally used it every year until I couldn't get anymore out. lol
Cherries in the Snow was far too pink for me. For a lippy and a polish. too funny.. you have me remembering old times now.. ha ha ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24