Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

PS

A-List Customer
just read that Wet n Wild's Halloween Collection, Fantasy Makers has a MAC Port Red dupe, it's called Geisha's Kiss. HTHS.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Darn it....

I just checked Revlon Australia and Revlon US websites.

Cherries in the Snow is not carried in the Australian lines :mad:

Any kind American ladies willing to ship me some over?! :cry:

I can send you over some German - made Nivea ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
I love Revlon and have been using it for years!

I have my Vixen nail polish too - I hardly wear it, but I love it so much I wont throw it out. Its one of those colours you have to get right when you put it on though, and I dont always have the time!

I used to love Toast of New York

They also made a nice one about circa 1995/1996 called "Exotica" that was pretty too

Crazy! I totally wore all those same shades!!I had multiples of each for YEARS. An while I never wore Vixen as a lipstick, I had the nail polish for years.. I think I finally tossed the bottle a year ago. I've literally used it every year until I couldn't get anymore out.
Cherries in the Snow was far too pink for me. For a lippy and a polish. too funny.. you have me remembering old times now.. ha ha ha

I used to shake my bottle until I'd used it all up.

Oh, this thread is about lipsticks. Sorry.:eek:

Occassionally the department stores have some left over Revlon shades but they appear to be quite random and I'm not sure they're good anymore. Seems like they just want to get rid of them.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I tried Lady Danger by MAC at the counter after Cherry Lips (I think) recommended it and I didn't like it. But today I tried my aunts l/s and loved it! I guess the light at the counter must be bad!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Tinseltown said:
I tried Lady Danger by MAC at the counter after Cherry Lips (I think) recommended it and I didn't like it. But today I tried my aunts l/s and loved it! I guess the light at the counter must be bad!

If I ever owned a makeup store, I do believe I'd have an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with mirrors nearby. Even in well-lighted shops, it's so difficult to determine colors.

Lillemor

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
If I ever owned a makeup store, I do believe I'd have an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with mirrors nearby. Even in well-lighted shops, it's so difficult to determine colors.

I've given up on my Gosh Lambada 60 lipstick. First of all matte lipsticks tend to make me look sickly and I know, had I been a lady in another era, I would've still applied vaseline or something over it to give it a creamier finish without making it shiny. But the shade was okay in the shop, okay in my bathroom, then in the car on the way to my in-laws I realized it didn't look that great in daylight.

This time of the year I feel more for wines and berries anyway. They're running low and I'm not sure how old mine are.

Next Spring I'll need to replace my Bourjois Delices de Cerices (or whatever it's called pinkish/red) or get someone in the U.S. to send me Cherries In The Snow and find a deep coral red that's more red than orange and quite a deep shade and certainly not too light and without that goldspun flecked effect.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Link wont work...

Just comes up with Grace Kelly online.....

Anything like this screen capture?

RearWindowPic3.jpg

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Revlon Cherries in the Snow

If anyone really wants Cherries in the Snow, PM me and I'll send it to you at cost. Just a warning though...I found it to be a garishly bright magenta. I haven't really experimented with using it as a stain or blending it with another color though. I'll try to post a picture wearing it.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
Link wont work...

Just comes up with Grace Kelly online.....

Anything like this screen capture?

RearWindowPic3.jpg

My skin tone is a bit different but this looks somewhat close on my monitor:
lulubeautygenelips.jpg

The lipstick is by Lulu Beauty in Gene. It's one of my favorites. I love it!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I give up. I hate red lipstick! Not in general, just on me. I only have one true red left (the Lambada 60, Gosh) and I only wear it mixed with a coffe brown from Rimmel which doesn't look good by itself either.:rolleyes:

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Le.Raven said:
I love love LOVE Penelope's Red by L'oreal.

I haven't yet splurged on anything like MAC, but I've been having wonderful results with L'oreal. I LOVE Mila's Plum for my complexion. I wear it when I don't want something too striking. I also have a nice Almay shade. I think it's called Wine, and it is one of their "collections" - berries, if I remember correctly (don''t want to get up and find out lol )

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
Georgia Peach said:
I'm looking for a shade of red like Grace Kelly is wearing in this picture in Rear Window:

http://www.gracekellyonline.com/multimedia/screen/rear-window/images/REAR_WINDOW-04.jpg

(I apologize I can't post a picture, I don't know how! :( )

I have blond hair and fair skin similar to Grace's so I think this is a red that would work for me. Thank for any recommendations! :)
kelly-intro-4.jpg

how about thease ;
revlon's cha cha cherry
maybelline's royal red and cherry rain
max-factor's rouge

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Odalisque said:
I tried that stain in the blood orange. beautiful color but the actual product went on horribly. Really uneven. Maybe I'm applying it wrong. Do you have any tips because I'd love to wear it and have it look nice.

I had the exact same problem! I love the color, but it goes on thicker around the left side of the ball than on the right, it seems like. I have to use a lip brush to spread it out after I put it on.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
I give up. I hate red lipstick! Not in general, just on me. I only have one true red left (the Lambada 60, Gosh) and I only wear it mixed with a coffe brown from Rimmel which doesn't look good by itself either.:rolleyes:
Lillemore, don't give up! I have naturally red/purple lips, and let me tell you, lipstick alone, will not work on me. I have to mix, as well. I have been known to mix black and brown eyeliners into my lipstick.
I think everyone has their own shade of red. I I tend to favor matte in a ruby color, it almost looks like velvet when I'm done. I also favor dark black-red/purplish(deep plum) shade. Not the traditional shade of red, but I love it, just the same.
Those I've listed are the only red shades I wear or can wear. I love mauves/purples, but that's for another genre. ;) lol
I can't wear yelloow/orange reds... I don't care for my lips to shine. I like prestige brand because of its flat color. I also like to powder over my lips, to dull it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Good morning ladies!

I've only started wearing red lipstick of late - it can be a bit of a shock seeing that colour on instead of the usual neutrals and pinks.

The red that I absolutely love is Lipstick Queen's Red Sinner (Nicole Kidman wore it to the Oscars a few years back) - you can't get it here in Ireland so I had to wait till I was on honeymoon in New York to get it during the Summer. I got it in Henry Bendels and I love it - the pigment is really strong and matt and doesn't come off easily - I hope I get ages out of it as I won't be able to replace it too soon!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I just bought two items from MAC's holiday collection:
Lipstick in "'Red,' she said" and lip liner in "Brick."

You line your lips and fill it in with the liner, then put the lipstick over. This is the color you get:

redshesaid_390.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner