Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite retro look on a handsome man?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Dark waistcoat, crisp white shirt with sleeves rolled up (yes, I'm another forearm girl, without a doubt).

Well-tailored trousers with cuffs, and braces.

Tail coats and cutaways.

Hats at a jaunty angle, or pulled low and mysterious.

Hair slightly disheveled.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I'm a sucker for a nicely-kept pair of leather shoes. Surprising how few men I see sporting anything other than athletic shoes. Chunky white running shoes make me want to run the other way!

Foofoogal

Banned
my honey does not do this but in my dream life it is always a nice cable sweater and corduroy pants with a nice pipe with a nice smelling tobacco. lol ;)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Lotta Little said:
I'm a sucker for a nicely-kept pair of leather shoes. Surprising how few men I see sporting anything other than athletic shoes. Chunky white running shoes make me want to run the other way!

Yes. Waiting in line at our Sunday brunch joint, I spied an older gentleman with a battered cowboy hat, pearl-snapped shirt, worn western belt - the whole authentic look that put me in mind of 90% of the men I remember from my small town childhood. I even whispered to my Mr. "look, a real cowboy; don't get many of those here in the city."
Then I looked down and what did I see on his feet but a pair of dorky white trainers.
Ruined the whole image, that did.

Lenore

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
my honey does not do this but in my dream life it is always a nice cable sweater and corduroy pants with a nice pipe with a nice smelling tobacco. lol ;)

It's funny you say this. My husband, completely out of nowhere, has decided he wants to take up smoking a pipe. He's already got the cable sweater and cords. ;)

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
cynroux said:
This:
3467504470_afbd5961e8.jpg

Cynroux...I stopped dead on this first pic and didn't scroll any further to see that this was your husband. I was too busy trying to figure out what movie he was in!!!! ;)

There's a picture of my Grandparents around somewhere. My Pop is wearing those high waisted "Hollywood" pants. (Is that the right term?) and one of those casual shirts with the flap on the two breast pockets. I just love it! (Oh, and his sleeves are rolled up to the elbow. Go figure!)

It's so much more than clothes that gets me though. My Pop held doors, never talked impolitely about women, always wore a suit/tie and HAT to Church, always brought the car around for my Gram and us so we didn't have to trudge to parking lots or stand in bad weather, bought us all corsages at Easter, you name it, he did it. I keep saying he's why I'm still single...they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I like a uniform.......:)

This is my other half......

officerjames2.jpg

And I love that classic tennis look from the 30s, Jimmy stewart in white trousers and an open necked shirt.....

And men in 50s style jeans, slightly grubby....white t-shirt....as Kamikat said 'nom nom nom!'lol

cynroux

Familiar Face
23SkidooWithYou said:
Cynroux...I stopped dead on this first pic and didn't scroll any further to see that this was your husband. I was too busy trying to figure out what movie he was in!!!! ;)

There's a picture of my Grandparents around somewhere. My Pop is wearing those high waisted "Hollywood" pants. (Is that the right term?) and one of those casual shirts with the flap on the two breast pockets. I just love it! (Oh, and his sleeves are rolled up to the elbow. Go figure!)

It's so much more than clothes that gets me though. My Pop held doors, never talked impolitely about women, always wore a suit/tie and HAT to Church, always brought the car around for my Gram and us so we didn't have to trudge to parking lots or stand in bad weather, bought us all corsages at Easter, you name it, he did it. I keep saying he's why I'm still single...they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Ahahaha! He has that look, that's for sure. :)
Your Pop sounds wonderful. If you find the pictures, please post them. And tell him they *do* still make guys like that, my hubby is proof. I still get kick out of the fact he'll always open the car door for me first. Polite never goes out of style.

Inky

One Too Many
Men in Uniform, the best!

I love Navy boys in dress blues. 13 buttons do it for me :)

I prefer a 40's look personally, but hubby loves the greaser/rockabilly so hey, it's vintage, he's happy, i'm happy.

Mostly for him it's rolled up dungarees and t-shirts and his leather jacket, though we have weened him toward shirts with actual buttons in the last year. He loves his George Cox brothel creepers and also his FOUR pairs of just oh so slightly different b/w chucks. and i thought i had too many of one kind of shoe!

But I like it best when he wears his zoot suit trousers or his wide legged 30's style pants, with a shirt, tie and suspenders and black and white shoes.

SayCici

Practically Family
Lenore said:
My husband was getting dressed this morning, and standing in his unbuttoned dress shirt, undershirt, boxer briefs, and socks and garters he made the most delicious picture.
:cheers1:
There's no nodding emoticon so this will have to do.

Lauren said:
A little older than retro, but Regency outfits on men? Yummy.
regencymen1.jpg
Mhmm, love this movie, and Ciarán Hinds in it!

Berlin

Practically Family
I love my boyfriend in his uniform look:

Bivak.jpg

But also without:

bos016.jpg

And beside my boyfriend;
I love the look of Marlon Brando (In his younger years)

marlon_brando_0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner