Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite retro look on a handsome man?

Lorena B

Practically Family
MV5BMTQwOTc4Mjg5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

Plane pilots hummmmm!!!lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh, YES, YES for the boater!! I discovered this at the Art Deco Society of Northern California's Gatsby Summer Afternoon this September. I had been looking to find our 13yo son Daniel a Gatsby cap NOT a boater, as the vintage ones are often fragile and our fave vintage dealer felt he was perhaps a bit too rough and tumble for one just yet... BUT he really wanted one and a small size one became available. HE loves it, and looked like a million bucks wearing it proudly that day. My husband had one too and looked very dapper. All the guys in the band playing that day wear them.

Here's a couple of pics from the day:son Daniel
374084024.jpg

hubby Chuck dancing with me
374086735.jpg

me with the band's pianist and vocalist Frederick Hodges
376397125.jpg

lolly_loisides said:
Oh, and to get this thread back on track I always think an elegant, refined man in a boater looks lovely. :)

VintageVixie

Oh my yes, Gah, Elvis in his younger days. So dreamy.

I personally can't resist the lean look of most vintage uniforms. The cigarette doesn't even ruin this one for me.

MontgomeryClift.jpg

(That's Montgomery Clift if anyone doesn't know.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My favorite look.....i dunno.

I think a handsome man is a handsome man.

Different handsome men suit different looks....put one in the wrong look and it can sometimes diminish their looks...ie if they don't seem comfy with themselves..etc.

So the favorite look for me..is one that suits the man. ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:

Different handsome men suit different looks....put one in the wrong look and it can sometimes diminish their looks...ie if they don't seem comfy with themselves..etc.

I whole-heartedly agree, Neecerie. If the man is comfortable and confidant in what he's wearing it's going to come through, and confidence (but not arrogance) is what's most handsome in any man.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
Lenore, he isnt recognizable without the 'stache! I loved him in Gone With The Wind.

Who didn't? ;)

:eek:fftopic: According to various sources, including Vivien Leigh, Myrna Loy, Carole Lombard and Joan Crawford, Gable had the worst teeth and breath. Watch Leigh in Gone With the Wind and Loy in Wife vs. Secretary very closely - When he speaks close to their faces before kissing them, they visibly shrink back in disgust.

Lenore

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Who didn't? ;)

:eek:fftopic: According to various sources, including Vivien Leigh, Myrna Loy, Carole Lombard and Joan Crawford, Gable had the worst teeth and breath. Watch Leigh in Gone With the Wind and Loy in Wife vs. Secretary very closely - When he speaks close to their faces before kissing them, they visibly shrink back in disgust.

I know... but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the view! lol

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:

VERY true! :eusa_clap
And a lot of times what makes a man handsome is him finding a look that suits his personality and body type.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
VERY true! :eusa_clap
And a lot of times what makes a man handsome is him finding a look that suits his personality and body type.

Especially if its a very unique look! I don't like trendy men who wear whatever is cool this season. If I want a clotheshorse, I'll buy a shoe rack.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Who didn't? ;)

If I consider the "woman scorned" theory....and the fact that he might have loved and jilted his leading ladies....this could be made up for payback. I would have to confirm the film action in the mean time...

Christy

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:

Well said, I completely agree! :eusa_clap

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
MY HUSBAND GOT HIS HAIR CUT LIKE (pompadour)THIS!!!!!!

when he gets his camera back I will take a pic! everyone is dying over how hot he looks and all the ladies are clawing at him while I am on stage at my gigs!!!!

15597__crybaby_l.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
Good point. I haven't had caffeine in twelve days... You'll have to pardon my slow brain moments. [huh]

Edited for stupid spelling mistakes. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy