Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite retro look on a handsome man?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think it can stay separate as long as we're focusing on the clothes/style rather than the attributes of the gentlemen themselves.

For example --

3204587.jpg

The fellow himself is nothing spectacular, but I like his outfit very much. Overalls worn with a tie indicate a working-class man who takes pride in his appearance, and is no doubt very professional and responsible in his work. Very appealing!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
~Psycho Sue~ said:
I didn't think so considering that my subject matter is specifically about the LOOK and not the specific MAN!!!!!!!!

Well discussions often morph from what was intended in the first post...

And it could just as easily be merged right into 'show us your sweeties...'

since 95% of the participants immediately used their own partners as an example of what they like. lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I missed a few posts along the way:

Berlin said:
I love my boyfriend in his uniform look:
Bivak.jpg

Holy toledo :eek: He is very handsome! As a matter of fact, he looks like young Marlon.

ThesFlishThngs said:
I must be a sucker for a uniform too; here's the man I fell in love with, wearing his Royal Mail uniform.

He looks like a cuter version of young Paul McCartney :)

Miss Sis said:
Oh, and men in proper black tie. Hey, I'm biased too. :D

Top hat, white tie and tails... How dapper! They're the kind you would follow anywhere.

Lenore

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
"man who takes pride in his appearance, and is no doubt very professional and responsible in his work. Very appealing!"

I'd also throw in there is comfortable with himself and doesn't try to be someone that he's not. My husband told me last weekend that he is going to grow his hair out and get away from the army standard crossed with a mild faux hawk.... I almost fainted with happiness... At 28, my husband has decided he's a grown up!

(I also think it's my habit of "accidentally" commenting on the put together-ness of golden era men... and "accidentally" leaving threads from the General Attire Board up on the computer at home and walking away...) :D

Foofoogal

Banned
I had never seen Clark Gable without his stache but think I stopped breathing a minute on that 4th photo with him smiling. lol :eek:
mercy...

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:
Good point. I haven't had caffeine in tweleve days... You'll have to pardon my slow brain moments. [huh]

:eek:fftopic: it's all good. it is so confusing in posting here ( i am new) i started a thread and it dissapeared before and i couldnt figure out what happened to it. i really did a search before posting, and no title came up that was really demonstrating what i wanted to talk about. i think the search feature is not all that hot. also sometimes people dont like it when old posts are dug up and dont respond to you (as i have had experience with this on other forums). and sometimes the same 5 people do nothing but talk and respond to each other and ignore others all the time, and the only way to get noticed is a new topic, hehehe

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lenore said:
My husband told me last weekend that he is going to grow his hair out and get away from the army standard crossed with a mild faux hawk.... I almost fainted with happiness... At 28, my husband has decided he's a grown up!

You mean he's giving up the Marine cut? lol The threshold of manhood, indeed!

My future hubs does a plain shaved head, but still watches Spongebob Squarepants. I'm still waiting, needless to say... :rolleyes:

Lenore

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I had never seen Clark Gable without his stache but think I stopped breathing a minute on that 4th photo with him smiling. lol :eek:
mercy...

Yup, "he makes me melt like a popsicle on the fourth of july" ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
C-dot said:
You mean he's giving up the Marine cut? lol The threshold of manhood, indeed!

My future hubs does a plain shaved head, but still watches Spongebob Squarepants. I'm still waiting, needless to say... :rolleyes:

I know! I wanted to throw a party! But I controlled myself.

Right now, he's battling self-confidence issues with the fact that he's gained weight since he had his back broken, so we're working on that first... I think if he were to find a grown up style.. ANY style that makes him feel better about himself, it would go a long way. Knowing him as I do, I think the classic look would suit him very well, and I'm absolutely foaming at the mouth to get him in a three-piece.

These are old pictures, but it'll give you the basic jist of what he's very much outgrown since he's been out of the Army.

l_932cc3432f0d047670083d0f782f3b31.jpg

l_a548da2afbe656f74479779618787ab0.jpg

And yes... my kid was born with a mohawk....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
~Psycho Sue~ said:
also sometimes people dont like it when old posts are dug up and dont respond to you (as i have had experience with this on other forums).

We positively encourage "necro-posting" here -- some of our very best threads have been going on for four or five years. So by all means feel free to dig deep!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lenore said:
And yes... my kid was born with a mohawk....

lol

I'm sorry he's feeling self-conscious - He's a very good looking man, with 2 lovely ladies to complement :) I can see him dressed like Dana Andrews in Laura:

Annex-TierneyGeneLaura_09.jpg

...The hard boiled detective look is very appealing ;)

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
lol

I'm sorry he's feeling self-conscious - He's a very good looking man, with 2 lovely ladies to complement :) I can see him dressed like Dana Andrews in Laura:

that's a great look C-dot. :)

Lenore

Practically Family
C-dot said:
lol

*Growl*

You're tellin' me!!! *purrrrrrrr*

Lenore

Practically Family
~Psycho Sue~ said:
I just fear he would have to drag that desk around to lean on like that or would not have the same look...... :eusa_doh:

Good point... though I think he might be able to manage it with some strategic leaning on door frames. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy