Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Es trinkt der Mensch, es säuft das Pferd, manchmal ist es umgekehrt...:D

Sipping ist most often the better way to enjoy whidk(e)y, though some few times the other way round as well.

Turnip

Neighbor showed up yesterday and dropped a little present...though just 46% quite a nice boggy Sherry slap, right on the twelve...:)

full

All I can say, is, that the Talisker 10y seems very good wholesome.

If you think about the 45,8% alc., this must be alcohol on a special quality level?

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
Lagavulin. Always have a bottle kicking around here. If I am going for cooking whisky rather than single malt then I have Black Bottle which is just a blend of the Islay whiskies. I prefer whisky to be dark, smoky and strong. If I want lighter stuff I now crack into the brandy.

Lagavulin is smoky and very peaty like most of the Islay malts. I reckon it's the peatiest out the lot.

I have a bottle of Bladnoch on the go I got from a customer, it's the most southerly Scottish distillery and has had a bit of a chequered past with a lot of stop start production. It's very nice. Being a lowlander I should probably support it more, but I prefer the Islay whiskies. You can't beat the fire Lagavulin puts in you on a wet windy evening. Usually in the summer:)

Lagavulin. Always have a bottle kicking around here. If I am going for cooking whisky rather than single malt then I have Black Bottle which is just a blend of the Islay whiskies. I prefer whisky to be dark, smoky and strong. If I want lighter stuff I now crack into the brandy.

Lagavulin is smoky and very peaty like most of the Islay malts. I reckon it's the peatiest out the lot.

I have a bottle of Bladnoch on the go I got from a customer, it's the most southerly Scottish distillery and has had a bit of a chequered past with a lot of stop start production. It's very nice. Being a lowlander I should probably support it more, but I prefer the Islay whiskies. You can't beat the fire Lagavulin puts in you on a wet windy evening. Usually in the summer:)
Lagavulin Distillers Edition is my favourite whisky at present. I find its peaty qualities about mid range and not as in your face as Laphroiag or Ardbeg.

Turnip

@Trenchfriend

The voltage you mentioned is the standard or basic strength with Talisker. As far as I know there are no weaker bottlings available from this distillery, only stronger.

Alcohol can boost the flavor but that depends of course on the distillate, the wood(s) that has/have been picked and the time the distillates spent in there.

There are loads of thin and boozy high voltage bottlings out there, as well as massive, chunky lower voltage liveries, just like the Kilchoman above.

In case you might be interested in the „theory“ behindert all that the below book is a classic/standard to read.

41P9+XTy9wL._SX288_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
Lagavulin Distillers Edition is my favourite whisky at present. I find its peaty qualities about mid range and not as in your face as Laphroiag or Ardbeg.
i never got on too well with Laphroiag mainly because I had always gone with Lagavulin. i couldn't really be bothered with the Speyside stuff as it was always a bit samey to me. I could tell Islay stuff a mile off. Oban is another one that was quite good. There's so many variations out each distillery all the same, you couldn't keep up with it. A bottle will last me about a year these days. I'm not prolific

The only reason I started drinking whisky was sheer laziness. The pub I used to got to on a Fri/Sat was absolutely rammed and it was a real battle to get to the bogs. So I gave up on the beer for tactical reasons as I discovered I could get just as buzzed up on whisky but I never needed to run to the toilets every five minutes once the dam was breached.

i never got on too well with Laphroiag mainly because I had always gone with Lagavulin. i couldn't really be bothered with the Speyside stuff as it was always a bit samey to me. I could tell Islay stuff a mile off. Oban is another one that was quite good. There's so many variations out each distillery all the same, you couldn't keep up with it. A bottle will last me about a year these days. I'm not prolific

The only reason I started drinking whisky was sheer laziness. The pub I used to got to on a Fri/Sat was absolutely rammed and it was a real battle to get to the bogs. So I gave up on the beer for tactical reasons as I discovered I could get just as buzzed up on whisky but I never needed to run to the toilets every five minutes once the dam was breached.
We spent a month touring in the Speyside in autumn of 2019 and I was greatly surprised at the variation in the flavours of the whiskies. Not a fan of the Glennfidich, Macallan's etc but some wonderful full flavoured whiskies to be had in the region. Many of them with a decent amount of smoke.

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
We spent a month touring in the Speyside in autumn of 2019 and I was greatly surprised at the variation in the flavours of the whiskies. Not a fan of the Glennfidich, Macallan's etc but some wonderful full flavoured whiskies to be had in the region. Many of them with a decent amount of smoke.
there are some good ones for sure. it's really down to the sort of thing you like. I don't turn up my nose at any whisky really. I'll give any a whirl. There's a whisky festival in town here (or was before covid) and once you've had a couple you could pretty much be drinking meths and you wouldn't know. There's so many different types.

there are some good ones for sure. it's really down to the sort of thing you like. I don't turn up my nose at any whisky really. I'll give any a whirl. There's a whisky festival in town here (or was before covid) and once you've had a couple you could pretty much be drinking meths and you wouldn't know. There's so many different types.
Yes, we would limit ourselves to visiting two distilleries a day on travel days. One late morning the other in the afternoon. It rained the week in Oban so we spent many an afternoon in the distillery bar....not tasting.....just drinking.

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
Ha! Wise.

I did the Bladnoch visitor thing a while ago and it appeared to be owned by a larger than life Irish guy who appeared to be on a permanent taste tour of the place.

There's definitely only so much a liver can take all the same

Ha! Wise.

I did the Bladnoch visitor thing a while ago and it appeared to be owned by a larger than life Irish guy who appeared to be on a permanent taste tour of the place.

There's definitely only so much a liver can take all the same
Most of the distilleries these days are owned by one of the big boys....Chivas, Diagio et al.

I prefer Lagavulin & Ardbeg both over Laphroaig; it always had too much of a medicinal iodine taste to me. I have enjoyed a bottle or two of the new NAS Laphroaig Quarter Cask though.

Lagavulin 16 & any of the Ardbeg's are great with a charcoal grilled steak or as an after dinner digestif. Great with dark chocolate before bed. The thing about the few Highlands & the many Highland Speysides is the variation among them making a good selection for Happy Hour, a cordial or aperitif, digestif after dinner, or a bedtime night cap.

Compared to the Islay's & flexibility of all the Speysides I find the Campbelltown's marginally bland & the Lowlands only fit for fish & oysters. Not that there is anything wrong with them; just not too exciting.

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
i find that with Laphroiag too. Something I just don't get on with. It's not like there's not enough whisky out there to suit everyone.

i never have whisky with food all the same, its never even occurred to me right enough.

I prefer Lagavulin & Ardbeg both over Laphroaig; it always had too much of a medicinal iodine taste to me. I have enjoyed a bottle or two of the new NAS Laphroaig Quarter Cask though.

Lagavulin 16 & any of the Ardbeg's are great with a charcoal grilled steak or as an after dinner digestif. Great with dark chocolate before bed. The thing about the few Highlands & the many Highland Speysides is the variation among them making a good selection for Happy Hour, a cordial or aperitif, digestif after dinner, or a bedtime night cap.

Compared to the Islay's & flexibility of all the Speysides I find the Campbelltown's marginally bland & the Lowlands only fit for fish & oysters. Not that there is anything wrong with them; just not too exciting.

The Talisker 10y got that iodine going on, too. But it's overwhelmed by the pepper. :D

It's kind of a side thing, never meant to be a main drink with a meal. Islay Whisky will compliment good charcoal grilled beef to the max. Except as a marinade I would never cook with Whisky.
In Glasgow I had a chicken breast stuffed with haggis and topped with a whisky sauce. Went back the next night and ordered it again. The chicken and haggis were good BUT the whisky sauce was heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner