Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite unit?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
12th SF

Mojave Jack said:
Hey, we used to support you guys! I was with the 107th Combat Weather at Selfridge. I got my 12th Group coin from Sgt Major Smith; he was an Indiana state trooper. The guys from Charlie Company used to love us, because we had a pretty big budget. You can buy a lot of claymores for the cost of maintaining an F-16, so we had small arms ammo, explosives, and gear to spare. You guys would train us, and whatever was left over went into your armory. It was win-win, and we got some great training opportunities. When I designed our unit patch after the 12th was disbanded, I incorporated the 12th Group lightning bolts as a tribute.

Thanks for the kudos... "Laughter and memories, and a few regrets,
Some honour, and a quantity of debts."
---Belloc

dalea

New in Town
"D" CO. 501st P.I.R. 101st ABN, In particular Joeseph J. Axline my father who jumped into Normandy on D day, Holland and then to Bastogne where during the battle of the bulge was taken P.O.W. on two seperate ocasions but finnaly made it bake to lines after the second capture only to collect some German steel in his left knee. There is a mess tin in a museum (Private I think) with my fathers name scratched into it with a bayonet. This was found in a barn a few years after the war. I have pictures of the mess tin and they are prized possesions themselves.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
China

I too adore the "Eagles" but my true heart
lies in China. The 14th V.B.S., A.V.G. and for
a W.W. II, C.A.T.F. Unit, the 16th Fighter Squadron.

;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The Flying Tigers for sure.

The A.V.G., the 23rd fighter group, 14th air force, 10th air force, anything that had to do with the air forces in the CBI. The A.V.G.'s success against overwhelming odds without direct support from the U.S government in 1940 is inspiring.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
My favorite is the 34th Infantry Division "Red Bulls" of the U.S. Army. A tough unit, won the respect of the Germans in WW2, and was/is comprised of soldiers from my general area. It has been around since WW1 through to today, though some would argue that smaller units within the 34th were around during the American Civil War. And last but not least it is not very well known and few reenact it (my 34th ID impression is in the making, soon to be finished).
Billy

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
256th BS, 27th AF, Pianosa, Italy.

sjff_03_img0928.jpg

Capt. John Yossarian, bombardier.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
U-boot jah?

well, my favorite unit might not be really a unit, but it would be the submarine wolfpacks of Kriegsmarine. I guess i am facinated by the special tactics the packs had, and the extreme and hostile surroundings they worked under. Actually i "served" as a Sovjet submarine Captain in a cold war LARP called U-359. It was a quite a rush being in charge of 30 comrades inside 1080 tons of steel.

ya0409a.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since I first saw the film when I was 6 years old at the drive-in
633-1.jpg

The plane below was actually used in the film, with different paint of course
TA719iii.jpg

dean

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Thunderw21, you beat me to it! The 34th infantry division....'cause that's the unit my grandfather was in. He fought in North Africa and Italy and was wounded somewhere in Italy when his BAR was hit and it tore up his right arm. He always had big scars on that arm. He died several years ago, and I miss him dearly.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Hello all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in even though I'm new...
My favorite unit would have to be the 101st’s A company 327th Glider Infantry. I might be just a tad bit biased though, since that was my Papa Mac's unit! He, like your Father dalea, fought at Normandy, in Holland, and at Bastogne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo