Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite unit?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Many, if not all, of us WWII enthusiasts have a favorite fighting unit. What is yours and why?

For me, my favorite is the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group. As many of you know, in the early days of WWII a handful of yanks signed up with the RAF and RCAF. Eventually these fliers became organized into the famous Eagle Squadrons. When the U.S. entered the conflict these squadrons were transfered to the AAF and became the 4th Fighter Group - 334th, 335th, and 336th Fighter Squadrons. Among their ranks included such famous pilots as Don Gentile, John Godfrey, Vermont Garrison, Donald Blakeslee, and Jim Jabara. I have a connection to the 334th because in the latter days of WWII a young aviation cadet, my grandfather, was completing his advanced flight training. The war ended and he was placed on reserve status as a newly commissioned second lieutenant. Just a few short years later my grandfather was reactivated, assigned to the 334th, and deployed for a tour in Korea where he flew the famous F-86A Sabre against MiG-15s. My grandfather was good friends with the legendary ace George Davis, and himself racked up a few victories & probables. My grandfather passed away several years ago but I'll always remember the stories he told about flying with the 334th "Fighting Eagles."
Eagle.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The eagle squadrons WERE some brave lads, Mike...

... interesting story about when the brass at VIII Fighter Command tried to get them out of their hurricanes and spits and into P-47s... apparently the "boys" augered a couple of the planes into the macadam. Pretty good book by Vern Haugland, "Eagle Squadrons," although starts out a little on the slow side if I remember correctly.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
385th Bomb Group, 8th AF.

Not the first A2 I had, but the first one with a unit patch and which I researched. It turned out to have belonged to a 385th radio op. This kind of research was a lot harder back in the early 80s, before the internet, and it tended to pull you into the subject a lot more. It's almost too easy now.

Shortly after I stayed with friends in Suffolk who just happened to live on the edge of the old base at Great Ashfield. A day spent exploring the site and i was totally hooked. I now have a nice collection of 385th memorabilia.

BTW, I also have an A2 that belonged to a 4th FG pilot. he was shot down (probably by B-17 gunners!) whilst flying wingman to Goodson but survived.

Marv

A-List Customer
71 Squadron

I have and original copy of the book War Eagles by James Saxon Childers from 1943 which is the story of 71 Squadron RAF before it was incorporated into the AAF in September 1942 becoming the 334th fighter squadron of 4th Fighter Group.
The book contains many pictures of the squadron members in both an official capacity and at play relaxing etc. plus the escapades of the pilots told in their own words describing in great detail their emotions during attacks, getting kills, losing friends and day to day life in an active squadron.
The book itself is in good condition considering it is 63 years old and it definately a great read.
Amazon do copies of the book at present.......here's the link I found if any of you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...104-1583728-7407923?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
They had to be better than everyone else; AND THEY WERE!!!

:arated:
Shikataganai, the first-generation Japanese Americans, or Issei...
...the all-Japanese 442nd Regimental Combat Team and the 100th Infantry Battalion during World War II.
The unit's valor earned more than 18,000 individual citations and eight Presidential Unit Citations. Known also as the ``Purple Heart Battalion,'' with more than 700 men killed and 9,500 Purple Hearts, they suffered the highest casualty rate in U.S. Army history.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuskeege Airmen...The 99th Fighter Squadron was sent to North Africa in April 1943 for combat duty. They were joined by the 100th, 301st, and 302nd African-American fighter squadrons. Together these squadrons formed the 332nd fighter group.

They never lost a bomber to enemy fighters. A Distinguished Unit Citation was awarded to the 332nd Fighter Group for "outstanding performance and extraordinary heroism" in 1945. :arated:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey Zemke Fan...

I've read about the Eagles' transition to new aircraft; a lot of them didn't want to give up their trusty Spitfires. I can't same I blame them. Going from the Spitfire to a P-47 must have been like transitioning from a Ferrari to a Ford truck. Sure the P-47 was a great plane (and some units later stuck with their "jugs" while others transitioned to Mustangs) but it sure wasn't as nimble as the Spitfire. Some day soon I really need to take a trip across the pond and visit the old AAF airfields, especially Debden.

B-17 Pilot

New in Town
Re: Favorite unit. . .

Hi Mike and all,

My favorite unit in general has got to be the 8th AAF! Specifically, the 91st Bomb Group and 324th Bomb Squadron. I do have a great affection for the Eagle Squadron, as my son is currently serving as a crew chief with the 4th F.G., 336 F.S. at Seymour Johnson AFB! He just got back from a 5 month stint at Al Eudeid AFB in Qatar!

Have a great 4th!

Mike

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The Thunderbolts...

Mike K. said:
Going from the Spitfire to a P-47 must have been like transitioning from a Ferrari to a Ford truck. Sure the P-47 was a great plane... but it sure wasn't as nimble as the Spitfire.
Primary advantage WAS the fact that it was built like a tank. Plenty of armor plate and weight. What was SO amazing about Hub and his boys (and all the other P-47 units, of course) was how they got the utmost out of the machines that they were stuck with. The jugs really shined after VIII FC tactics changed the planes to more of a ground-strafing role. They could take an incredible amount of punishment. (One returned to base with part of a telephone pole embeded in the wing!) Interesting note: Zemke favored conversion of the 56th to P-51s, but the decision to stick with the jugs was made by acting (and eventual) CO Dave Schilling while Zemke was stateside for a couple of months. Was one of the reasons why Zemke eventually turned over the 56th to Dave... so he could command a P-51 unit!

mikepara

Practically Family
513th Parachute Infantry Regiment 17 Airborne Div

513th Parachute Infantry Regiment 17 Airborne Division. Activated 1943, Deactivated 1945.They fought through France and Belgium, Held the Germans at the Bulge (Bastogne) and jumped the Rhine.

I'm Biased being a Paratrooper but they were the Cream. I got 'into' the US Airborne when I qualified the hard way for my U.S blood wings and after reading most of the books out there I always fondly think of the dirty 513.

I love the British Airborne but sadly Arnhem puts a damper on there CV's. I know it was a glorious defeat and any man who fought there was a true hero and could proudly say "I was There" for the remainder of there lives but a defeat it was.

desertweasel

New in Town
417 RCAF

417 RCAF 'City of Windsor' Squadron of course, the only Canadian squadron to serve with Desert Air Force and the only RCAF squadron to serve in in North Africa and Italy. Read 'Mouse in my Pocket' to learn about the war in Burma, North Africa and Italy, written by Hedley Everard, member of 417 RCAF, a great read, eloquently written and worth the $$$.

CanadianSpitfire1.jpg

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As strange as it may sound the 4th Fighter Group and the 334th in particular are my favs too. Gentile and Godfrey are Gods to me.
adc.jpg

gentileclr.jpg

godfrey.gif

vf-tclr.jpg

vf-pclr.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
KENNYW said:
The 918th of course!

I forgot about Gen. Savage's unit. Those are the guys that got me hooked on all this in the first place! Well noted KennyW!

...good choice!! The best WW2 film ever in my opinion. Divide 918 by three to reveal their true identity.......

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CORRECT NaTC!...

nightandthecity said:
Dixon Cannon said:
...good choice!! The best WW2 film ever in my opinion. Divide 918 by three to reveal their true identity.......

The September 1999 issue of Aviation History (v.10,No.1) [http://www.thehistorynet.com] has an article entitled 'The Real Story Behind Twelve O'Clock High, by Chuck Dunning.

In it he the gives the account of Gen. Ira Eaker's encounter with the 306ths C.O. Col. 'Chip' Overacker and the discipline problems at Thurleigh. His subsequent appointment of Col. Frank Armstrong became the story that Beirne Lay recalled as, "Twelve O'Clock High". Our hero, B/Gen. Frank Savage is born!

I raise my Toby Jug to you sir! -dixon cannon

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
Primary advantage WAS the fact that it was built like a tank. Plenty of armor plate and weight. What was SO amazing about Hub and his boys (and all the other P-47 units, of course) was how they got the utmost out of the machines that they were stuck with. The jugs really shined after VIII FC tactics changed the planes to more of a ground-strafing role. They could take an incredible amount of punishment. (One returned to base with part of a telephone pole embeded in the wing!) Interesting note: Zemke favored conversion of the 56th to P-51s, but the decision to stick with the jugs was made by acting (and eventual) CO Dave Schilling while Zemke was stateside for a couple of months. Was one of the reasons why Zemke eventually turned over the 56th to Dave... so he could command a P-51 unit!
Where did you get the info on zemke transfering because he wanted a P-51 group? I recall in his autobiography that he was sent to the unit to get them in shape since they were new and not doing well. He did not want to leave the 56th. I could be wrong.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
One of my favorites is the 411th Fighter Squadron, 373rd Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. The 411th is the first in my unit's lineage (the 163rd Air Refueling Wing), and as the Wing Historian I was privileged to do an interview with the last surviving member, Ray Martini, about a year and a half ago. Great interview and what a fascinating guy. That really put everything into perspective.

Other than that I like any unit from the Desert Air Force. Those guys flew the worst aircraft under the worst circumstances, and still gave a lot more than they got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran