Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your raincoat of choice?

Metatron

One Too Many
Thought this would be a good thread right now, It is Spring, it is rainy and I am thinking about raincoats: What do you use?
I like macs but don't want the Columbo association. (I know there is a trench coat thread but I thought a broader thread would be a good resource as well)

I use a Czech surplus parka without the liner at the moment, not quite waterproof but water resistent.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CZECH-FORCES-ARMY-WINTER-PARKA/dp/B002TUVG70
(Excellent winter coat too btw)

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Waiting the arrival of this one from the U.S. - should be water resistant (in Bedford cord) with the addition of a beret.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Why wouldn't you want the Columbo association? Columbo is the tippy-tops!

I content — nay, enamor — myself with a classic London Fog trench.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've got a bunch of rainwear, from dress to sport, but more and more it seems I reach for a ten year old navy blue Mac styled coat by Allegri.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've been after an original 40s British one for ever, but never found one small enough. they usually have a heavier, more deeply grooved gab than the Burberry or 'Columbo' type and are often in grey / taupe hues rather than light tan.

here's a pic i saved of one (for some reason i don't have the whole coat, but you can get an idea from this close up of the fabric):

heavy40sgab_zpsdcb77c9c.jpg

the one i wear for April shower weather is one i made from a modern charcoal gab (not anywhere near as nice as the fabric above, but not bad).
the dimensions and features are based on a typical 40s CC41 wool belted overcoat:

Trench02a.jpg

Trench02b.jpg

Last edited:

Hal

Practically Family
For light summer rain, a single-breasted fly-front raglan-sleeved lightweight coat (referred to above, not quite correctly, as a "mac.")
For more serious rain, a true doubøe-breasted and belted trench-coat, prefereably with detachable warm winter lining.
For really heavy rain, a double-texture riding mac (this is the true "mac"). nightandthecity writes about this coat in earlier threads. Nothing beats it for practicality and style together. Unfortunately, these coats are ASTRONOMICALLY expensive.
The wool gabardine coats pictured above are good raincoats and also excellent light overcoats.

Last edited:

ando.thun

New in Town
I wear a Stutterheim raincoat made from classic oilcloth.

http://stutterheim.se

They do not come cheap, but the quality is outstanding.
I stumbled across the shop in Stockholm and after some help from Alexander Stutterheim himself I instantly bought one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wear a Stutterheim raincoat made from classic oilcloth.

http://stutterheim.se

They do not come cheap, but the quality is outstanding.
I stumbled across the shop in Stockholm and after some help from Alexander Stutterheim himself I instantly bought one.

Do you have any pics you wearing it? I've been on the look out for a decent weather proof jacket to wear over a suit and I like the cut of these as they avoid the hill-walker-abroad look. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Filson "Tin Cloth" Cruiser if I'm out working...

WWII Style Army Officer Trench if it's formal business... (thanks Doc Strange)

One of my various A2's if I'm dashing out to get sumthin' from the store...

Worf

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: The pic you have posted of your ideal raincoat looks just like my Dunlop gabardine coat which i think is 1950s (but it has been suggested to me that it might be from the 1930s). It's nice to know that, for once, I have found something in my size that you can't find in your size!

What is Marius Goring's coat? I recently saw something similar that (since it was made by a company called 'Great Yarmouth') I assumed was made for North Sea fishermen. It was for sale in Levisons about a month back.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, the Marius Goring coat appears to be simply an unlined black PVC raincoat. probably a very basic 40s version of a pac-a-mac; something to shove into a briefcase and save the suit from unexpected downpours ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR