Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is the Ralphs-Pugh Horsehide I got recently. Doesn't get much better than this from any era, country, maker or price. This one is around 1950. Not for sale.

MAH01271.MP4_20200821_124312.946.jpg
MAH01271.MP4_20200821_124339.255.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Lord above, that is beautiful, Terry. Love the cut of that jacket, the hide and the pattern.

This is the only one exactly like it that I have seen. Mid 50s. Made in California. Nice soft, leather. Nice light weight for your needs.

I sold that jacket here. It then appeared on ebay. I don't know why it was being resold or if it did sell. Maybe it will turn up again.
I don't recall the selling price.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Schott 441PP steerhide today , a warm jacket with zip out faux fur liner ( although I never do !)

Right row second from the back.

A cool start to a good mate's 80th birthday run out to the Swan valley wine region, (where we all had Guinness !)

I kept my jacket on as did one other , (note the heater behind !)

Steve's 80th 2.jpg

Today I'm wearing a Field Leathers mock-up jacket :D View attachment 255357
There's a few things I think I would like to change:

Sizing:

-Sleeves half an inch shorter
-Pit to pit half an inch less
-Bottom hem width one inch less

Design :

-Bottom hem panels half an inch added hight.
-chest pocket left instead of right
-chest pocket one inch lower

Overall I'm quite happy with the design already, but I think these few changes will make the final jacket even better. I especially like the back design. View attachment 255359 View attachment 255358

Agreed with the lower chest pocket. It's always too high! Has to be easily accessible.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

Sizing:

Design :

Overall I'm quite happy with the design already, but I think these few changes will make the final jacket even better. I especially like the back design. View attachment 255359 View attachment 255358

I agree chest pocket lower

are you pinning the shoulder with needles? is it to portray the thickness of real materials? the body of the jacket looks a bit shorter as a result of that, and the pockets all looking even more higher, the sleeve looks right tho, and are you sure to make the hem less wide? from photo it is already as close as it gets without being too small, has to calculate the thickness of the material folded there too, and you probably carry wallet or wear thicker belt sometime.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Looks good and I agree except the sleeve length because the sleeves do look perfectly IMO

Sizing:

Design :

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab

Sizing:

Design :

I second navetseas notion; jacket already looks fairly trim as it is; be careful not to end up with a sausage look.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I agree chest pocket lower

are you pinning the shoulder with needles? is it to portray the thickness of real materials? the body of the jacket looks a bit shorter as a result of that, and the pockets all looking even more higher, the sleeve looks right tho, and are you sure to make the hem less wide? from photo it is already as close as it gets without being too small, has to calculate the thickness of the material folded there too, and you probably carry wallet or wear thicker belt sometime.

I'm pinning the top of the front panels because there was too much fabric. As you can see here:
04019667-5015-430B-A490-AC70428D6FAB.jpeg

This has nothing to do with Greg's pattern, it's due to my physique. I have the same issue with some other jackets, like this HD Sportster for example :
2CA96F85-C3C5-49EE-8EB2-A79867831025.jpeg

Greg told me he will address the issue by slightly altering the pattern. I pinned it down so he knows exactly how much to take out.
7CD54093-D463-40B1-9A03-FD405D3C1AE5.jpeg

About the hem. You're right, judging form the photo it looks just right. But it's actually a bit loose. Right now it's 20.5 so I asked him to go 19.5 for the final jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I too like sloped shoulder like that on your sportster, but has nothing inside to support it, sometime I support it with turtleneck tshirt with the turtleneck stuffed inward, or now I wear vest as mid layer. on my last 2 jackets I asked for shoulderpads but placed inward so the thick part near the neck sloping down outward, so the shoulder edge has no pads only near my neck. some also have dart toward the neckhole to reduce/ taper the gap from chest to my small neck and flat shoulder

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how you pull that off, living in Indonesia. Very warm and humide. I visited Bali last year. Even in shorts and wifebeater I felt really warm.
different climate to Bali, I don't like Bali (the tourist part of bali/ beaches) or any coastal lowland climate, humid stifling warm, my area is much higher up the mountains, more UV damage, but relatively cooler and windy.

It’s going back up into the 90’s this week. Puke. I’m done with it. I have been polishing up my jackets though and getting them into the on deck circle.probably at least a month out. I know I’ve said it before but this vintage Herc...I honestly think it might be the nicest jacket I’ve ever owned. I’m not crazy about the patch pockets and I think I’ll wear others more than this one but man this leather is just exactly what I think of when I picture a beautiful piece of HH. Thick, soft and insane in the grain.
6162FB66-1855-496B-8FEA-2F5F6E069637.jpeg

Dena has the HWM. I’m having the belts moved up close to 3”. I mocked it up with some internal clips. I think it will vastly improve the overall shape.
74556FDC-ABFF-4BF9-82D9-454802F9D5B0.jpeg

2EE308A6-1E0E-4128-8F5A-0212F8B6DE86.jpeg

Somehow I only have one black leather jacket in my closet. I’ll need to fix that.

Psant25

One Too Many
It’s going back up into the 90’s this week. Puke. I’m done with it. I have been polishing up my jackets though and getting them into the on deck circle.probably at least a month out. I know I’ve said it before but this vintage Herc...I honestly think it might be the nicest jacket I’ve ever owned. I’m not crazy about the patch pockets and I think I’ll wear others more than this one but man this leather is just exactly what I think of when I picture a beautiful piece of HH. Thick, soft and insane in the grain.
View attachment 255468
Dena has the HWM. I’m having the belts moved up close to 3”. I mocked it up with some internal clips. I think it will vastly improve the overall shape.
View attachment 255469
View attachment 255470
Somehow I only have one black leather jacket in my closet. I’ll need to fix that.
Maybe i need to give up my tumbled black zip sleeve hwyman to match

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner