What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Hey, looks just like mine! (I have a 1968 Martin Lane G-1, too. Post on the previous page in this thread.)

I'm trying to remember how I spruced up the mouton collar on mine. I think I mixed a little Woolite with cold water in a spray bottle, then worked in a light spritz of the mixture into the collar with my fingers. Then rinsed a little with plain water. For the final step, I used a small plastic comb to fluff up the mouton and let it air dry.

There are a few holes in the knits on mine and I was thinking of getting the knits replaced. Can you tell me where I can get authentic knits and who did the job for you? I want it done right. Thanks.

Mrfrown likes this.
  2. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Very kind words indeed. Thank you. Appreciated
    B

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  3. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Today opened the official Old Flight Jacket Season in eastern North Carolina. 1968 L-2b. 1B927B6D-3B61-4597-9E62-03B4991EEC97.jpeg

Torstein, marker2037, seres and 18 others like this.
  4. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Play time and walk with my boy this morning. Really cool and breezy so went for the Apparel Annex.

I love this jacket but sure seems too big when I look at it from the side (back too but no pic of that today). It does allow for better range of motion since there aren’t gussets or footballs.

and yes that’s the Vanson mask. I got an assorted color bundle at the “beginning” of Covid back in March. They’ve held up really well to quite a few machine washes.

981E2C17-7976-4755-8E32-B967E2CBA535.jpeg 4D206007-90CB-4DF9-9501-E52C1940C40C.jpeg

marker2037, El Marro, jeo and 17 others like this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor

I swear, for a microsecond I was like whoa, what is that. It's SUCH a nice jacket! I forgot. I was so happy when I bought it... And the red laces were the right call. That was my touch.

Fits you perfectly. People don't realise the jacket is heavily lined all over, even in the sleeves thus really warm.

AeroFan_07 and Mrfrown like this.
  6. ton312

ton312

Yup. Too big. I’ll take it. ;)

Carlos840, MrProper and AeroFan_07 like this.
  7. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Classic Windward from Montgomery Ward

MAH01536.MP4_20200911_131827.755.jpg MAH01536.MP4_20200911_131542.285.jpg MAH01536.MP4_20200911_131735.177.jpg

8. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Yeah it IS toasty. And the red laces are really cool.

Amazing that it’s in such good condition. Really on the needle in a haystack level with you finding it.

Hah! Maybe one day if I ever find something that fills the same style and fits *just right* I’ll think about putting it in the classifieds.

AeroFan_07 and ton312 like this.
  9. ton312

ton312

I think it looks great on you! It wouldn’t fit me but man...I’d love to find one that would. Perfect and unique.

Mrfrown and AeroFan_07 like this.
  10. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

I love this 1940s Spiegel so much I am wearing it at home. I don't think I need another cross-zip. This is it.

DSC_0173.JPG

11. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ Practically Family

Seems like a good amount of these survived / or weren't issued. Mine was actually in NOS condition when I got it, except for the storage damage. Moth destroyed knits and some surface breakdown. I gave it the bath treatment, shampooed the collar, conditioned everything and then sent it into Great Leather for the knit job (they supplied them). Not a perfectly flawless job but no major complaints. Definitely serviceable and Ive seen worse.
    Believe it or not, after trying the beard oil route last night, the mouton fur has definitely improved in appearance / texture / and smell. I'd do it again.

FYI - This experiment was fully spurred on by hearing about another lounger and silicone "toy" lubricant's health benefits on jackets ! hahah

El Marro and Gamma68 like this.
  12. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

THAT Jacket is really YOUR Jacket indeed! The details, the fit, the leather, the zippers, even the belt - just all perfect. It's got your name all over it. Keeper - Game over! :)

Will Zach likes this.
  13. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Thank you. Having confirmation from experts such as yourself and @Monitor means a lot. This jacket is so solid it will be around for another 80 years; too bad I won't, lol. But honestly, the moment I put it on, I felt it. And one more thing - I was not crazy about cross-zips. Thought I couldn't rock it. Now I think that any leather jacket lover who does not love a cross-zip has not found the right one yet.

Zoo, roadking04, AbbaDatDeHat and 2 others like this.
  14. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

Today's offering Fidelity café racer in brown steer. ex Robin Ray out if the UK all the way to Australia.
    It had reached it's turn in the roster again. Usual calm Indian Ocean backdrop (again again...)
    A mid weight jacket , started at 12C max of 25C today ( 30 tomorrow !) , winter she is gone at last !
    Photo taken at one of our favourite snorkelling spots when my daughter was a young 'un.
    We saw shovel nosed rays , shoals of tailor and dolphins here over the years.

Fidelity cafe racer at North Beach 1.jpg

Snorkelling spot.jpg

15. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

FiveStar Trucker
    A5A7A6C0-A23B-4897-84E8-1AAECF9A68EC.jpeg

16. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Interesting about the beard oil. Any before/after photos? Did it change the mouton color at all? I wonder if such a treatment would benefit the collar on mine.

17. Tusche

Tusche New in Town

Today the new to me Himel Canuck which I bought a couple of weeks ago via the classifieds section.
    IMO the fit is spot on. F5D5C766-EF34-497A-803C-1AA3F89030C6.jpeg 67614962-B04E-4183-BA0E-360BBE45071E.jpeg

18. Angel

Angel Familiar Face

20200923_175326.jpg
    Old Grais jacket for the last time.
    In the closet all the time because it's too large. Was my first vintage jacket.
    So in the classifieds now.

19. Perfect Tusche..!!
    Congrats
    HD

Tusche likes this.
  20. I slipped my Teamster on again early this morning leaving for breakfast. It was 48 degrees....

20180603_190531.jpg