What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

2. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

Don't know the model, horween black steerhide cxl.

Cornelius likes this.
  3. Old_Gold

Old_Gold New in Town

A classic Ike jacket from '45.

Attached Files:

4. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Something completley different today. Eastman M-422A "Popeye". Arrived yesterday.

M4222.jpg

Gancho, MoFo, Alexlutov and 35 others like this.
  5. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

A word on ordering with Eastman:

I wasn´t sure about sizing, as I have an older A2 (House version "Slender") that has become a bit on the tight side, and I wanted some room for layering. The assistance I received was fast, friendly and - as I have now seen - accurate. Delivery inside a week.
    Eastman really has lovely packaging with
    - a sturdy carton package in thick plastic wrapping as an outer shell.
    - an inside box (pictured)
    - then comes a thick heavy-weight paper sack with the actual jacket
    (all a bit like a russian "Matryoshka"-doll, but of course a grand entrée to an expensive jacket.)

The whole package came with a flight-jacket book and a pin-up girl calender 2021 (not that my wife didn´t already hate the jacket itself enough...).

This is my second jacket from Eastman and I am once again very pleased with the service and quality.

M4221.jpg

Mysteryo, MoFo, Alexlutov and 19 others like this.
  6. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

A lot of us stick to just one or two styles because we know we can pull them off.

I've seen you in mc jackets, civilian jackets, Thedi's artistic creations and now this flight jacket. And you look cool in all of them! Chapeau!

7. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Uuuh, too much of praise, really...!!

Thanks much anyway!

I think, I have just decided not to feel akward with my clothing choices. I was an insecure early teen when I saw "Top Gun" for the first time, and ever since that time a G1 had been on my mind.

What I sometimes struggle with is that I am coming from a culture where anything military will forever be tainted (and with good reason), so to adopt a style from a culture where the opposite is true (for equally sound reason) makes me think twice. I love my A2 nevertheless and find it a super-easy all-purpose summer style and wanted something similar for the colder months (just that my wife believs this is rather a no-purpose-at-all jacket...).

MoFo, El Marro, Mrfrown and 4 others like this.
  8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I never thought about it like that. But I'm from a different culture of course. I just see a cool jacket. Great outfit too, wearing it with a pullover and a tie.

I'm still waiting to see you in one of those 70's pimp coats. I think you could easily pull it off. If you ever find one you should definitively go for it :)

Edit: I'm sure the wife will love to see you in one too :p

dannyk and Tom71 like this.
  9. Monitor

Monitor

I don't mean to pry but out of curiosity, why tainted?

AbbaDatDeHat, dannyk and Tom71 like this.
  10. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Yes, this is one of my dreams for the future...!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Marc mndt likes this.
  11. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

In Germany, all things military are always discussed with a view to the events leading up to WWI and II. And without wanting to tread into the rough waters of politics, this is fully justified, IMO.

On the other hand that seems to block out any discussion about (i) the military providing an indispensable support in safeguarding our freedom (ii) supporting our allies in times of military and/or political oppression and (iii) individual bravery in the execution of these two tasks.

Again, this is about jackets not about individual views on politics, but I opened that can of worms, so I just wanted to explain myself...

12. Monitor

Monitor

Oh, all good, I just forgot for a moment that you're from Germany. Right, I understand.

MoFo likes this.
  13. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

Without politics I sometimes look at these things from a subversion standpoint. All a bit punk rock. How a lot of punks hate the military but can often be found in surplus military clothing. It’s cheap, and compared to mall clothes built better. Plus it’s kind of as I said done to subvert the context of what it represents. If I ever feel awkward or out of my context in something I’m wearing I just think of it like that for a minute and feel like a rock star then!

14. Dav

Dav One Too Many

N-1 DSC_0886 (2).JPG ResizerImage2400X360001.jpg

RL204, Gancho, MoFo and 30 others like this.
  15. Ayeteael

Ayeteael One of the Regulars

Sueeeeede
    B4E05E7B-A624-4D84-BA90-A4923988772F.jpeg

16. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Not something I normally post here, but given the discussion- it was $30 second hand on eBay, it’s warm, functional, and I can just throw it in the washing machine if need be. Wore it to drop off the kid at school, no big deal.

E8FE9CDE-9364-44C8-901E-30C18871C4F0.jpeg

Alexlutov, Zoo, marker2037 and 19 others like this.
  17. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

"Hey you in the camouflage jacket , I can see you ! " ( Old Scottish joke , somewhat recycled )

18. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

A5610AE5-6C57-42AC-B386-5920CCD398EA.jpeg

19. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Something different today: Hannes Roether Navy blue Caban jacket made of heavy so called "Deutschleder" cotton:

upload_2020-12-2_17-19-30.png

20. ton312

ton312

I think of the three HB 5 Stars this might be my fav. The goat reminds me of something like a diet naked cow from Schott. The mouton collar is really hard to capture, it’s called grey/brown and it tends to photo more brown but there’s quite a bit of grey in it.
    43EEBDF9-8958-460F-B878-3B3501B4427F.jpeg C68323DE-7DAA-4F39-87B8-67B71EE7F19A.jpeg C3EA917F-1B48-4CFB-B179-D18686681E0C.jpeg 6B870A49-CA80-4BE6-A597-4F25DABC7823.jpeg 7606F58E-AF87-446F-AFD6-C3C0192E0D2D.jpeg

Bahabp100, Gancho, Alexlutov and 34 others like this.