Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Ton, we need a separate thread on that acetone job. The acetone takes off the topcoat, right? And then you oil and dye it, right? I might try it on some jacket I'm bored with, lol.
Yes the acetone strips off the topcoat and some color entirely. I’ve done this with a few 5 stars. I planned on dye jobs for those:
1FFBF86E-CC9A-4EFA-B97E-751858A25B48.jpeg
8B8F6771-9644-4818-863D-53F010DC1F41.jpeg

With the Vanson, I had to be more careful. I did not want to dye it black again. So my intent was simply to remove the somewhat awful wax, which turns into plastic, then apply obernaufs to soften, nourish and dull further. Mixed result. Certainly the hide has dulled. I was hoping it would encourage more natural grain. No dice.
Received:
8460C9AC-B407-4166-87DA-B67A56B0D314.jpeg

acetone/obernaufs
12B78B88-F485-4E20-9EE9-539594C00D11.jpeg

I would describe it now as “reminiscent” of old comp cow, closer than what it was, but still not quite the same.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes the acetone strips off the topcoat and some color entirely. I’ve done this with a few 5 stars. I planned on dye jobs for those:
View attachment 378290 View attachment 378291
With the Vanson, I had to be more careful. I did not want to dye it black again. So my intent was simply to remove the somewhat awful wax, which turns into plastic, then apply obernaufs to soften, nourish and dull further. Mixed result. Certainly the hide has dulled. I was hoping it would encourage more natural grain. No dice.
Received:
View attachment 378292
acetone/obernaufs
View attachment 378293
I would describe it now as “reminiscent” of old comp cow, closer than what it was, but still not quite the same.
Hmmm, looks like the leather underneath the topcoat is russet, yet it does not show after the acetone treatment.

Hmmm, looks like the leather underneath the topcoat is russet, yet it does not show after the acetone treatment.
Oh no the pulls are sourced from somewhere else. The Vanson is black through to the core.
No idea. It's a full on custom, I think. I never saw one like it, either. It's too cool but too small on me. I can barely move in it.

Thank you! I wish it felt as great as it looks. It's really tiny.
just shed that massive sweater! That’s eating up two sizes at least. Jacket looks superb!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
3-16/schott A2 style collab. So dang good. Black horween horse cxl very similar to the vanson leftfield commando. Very soft, im thinking this is lux or something similar. Very pliable, doesn't need to be warmed up, etc. Warm brown glow coming through. Detachable collar. Really great in every way. Jeez I'm feeling gluttonous. Think im getting close to Done lol. Especially with the other b3 I got. Pics on that once Los Angeles stops being 92 degrees.

20211113_112124.jpg
20211113_112234.jpg

Psant25

One Too Many
View attachment 378290 View attachment 378291
Received:
View attachment 378292
acetone/obernaufs
View attachment 378293
A few of my new vanson model b brand new i would wash with a small amount of detergent probably had some left over fabric softener in there too from the previous load. that seemed to do what you are looking for. It softened and made the grain pop and created a duller softer finish. Much more comfortable to wear. I tumbled dried a little too. Give it a go

Guivil

New in Town
A few of my new vanson model b brand new i would wash with a small amount of detergent probably had some left over fabric softener in there too from the previous load. that seemed to do what you are looking for. It softened and made the grain pop and created a duller softer finish. Much more comfortable to wear. I tumbled dried a little too. Give it a go
Dear chemist friends, in your opinion, could detergent have good effect on cracking top coat ?

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 595

Psant25

One Too Many
Dear chemist friends, in your opinion, could detergent have good effect on cracking top coat ?
I would be afraid that would crack and peel off. Is the hide dyed through? I would try rubbing in some leather conditioner first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner