Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

barnabus

One Too Many
Man I don't know... I also wanted to collect jackets but every time the number surpassed 10, I couldn't get a good night sleep. I think I've got about 10 jackets right now (two on sale) but kind of happy with each piece so I'm okay but even this reasonable number is keeping me in a slight state of anxiety. If I die, people just gonna sell that cheap (not that I have any that aren't cheap, to be perfectly honest) and it always turns out I spend 90% of jacket weather in just one jacket that I find most convenient, wearing others for "special occasions" which is also unnerving as there aren't any special occasions ever at all and nobody really cares...

But yeah, there's that whole collecting thing which is something I've never been fond of for the above mentioned reasons - I mean, owning stuff makes you worry about that stuff and that's no good - And I'd be most happy if all the clothes I'd ever possibly was the clothes that's on me right now but that's not happening either...

Eh, don't matter. I'm just thinking out loud.

I feel this too. My personal ideal is to eventually get a jacket that can be a single item solution for all occasions. All weather, every day, and for the bike too.

It's just talking me an awful lot of tries to get there.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel this too. My personal ideal is to eventually get a jacket that can be a single item solution for all occasions. All weather, every day, and for the bike too.
Yes, exactly. Minimalism.
I'm a minimalist at heart, only in practice I find it a bit difficult.
I just do not like to look the same every day and then there is also different weather, etc.. On vacation it's easier. There I wear two three weeks only boardshorts and flip flops.

morrison2951

Practically Family

Yep. Mine is the early Vanson Model A- just zip in or out the liner as needed. :)

DSC02928-4.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
Minimalism is interesting because it is usually only people who can afford high-quality, durable items who can afford to own relatively few of them. I owned very few things when I lived in HK, but a) it's only a bit cold for 3 months of the year and b) apartments are small. I tried to stick to this and was reasonably successful, although gradually I ended up with more 'stuff'. As clothing is more culturally important in Shanghai, I was repeatedly defeated in my efforts (you are expected to dress well; old clothing is frowned upon) and recently just donated a pile of tailor-made shirts to community recycling.

What works here is a 'home uniform' of jeans, t-shirt and jacket when needed and then varied formal clothes for work. When I move back to HK, I intend to go minimalist again. I was happiest when I had less stuff, but you have to choose things that look good and last ages (as in years) - those things are usually expensive.

zebedee

One Too Many

I reckon two leather jackets that are very different - like a cordovan Mulligan and a tan Cafe Racer - would do it. Then a wool overcoat and a cotton chore coat. One jacket you might well end up disliking through lack of choice. One jacket would be like trying to find one pair of shoes for everything.

Yes, exactly. Minimalism.
I'm a minimalist at heart, only in practice I find it a bit difficult.
I just do not like to look the same every day and then there is also different weather, etc.. On vacation it's easier. There I wear two three weeks only boardshorts and flip flops.

Yeah, that but then again, even though I too will get bored with wearing the same clothes every day, there is that same look I'll always get back to after a brief pause & thinking about the fact that I've got two or three jackets intended just for that one particular itch that happens once every three months, also disturbs me.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
two or three jackets intended just for that one particular itch that happens once every three months, also disturbs me.
Therefore, I have now parted with two of these jackets. The Field Leathers, which actually did not fit me properly and my Cossack, where I realized that shawl collar and buttons are not my taste. Last I have unceremoniously given to my brother.

zebedee

One Too Many
No more than four of any kind of item would be a comfortable compromise. I like the idea of one set of clothes for everything, but that bloke you know who always wears the same things every day seems to attract silent pity. I think that varying clothing is better for the mind.

barnabus

One Too Many
I reckon two leather jackets that are very different - like a cordovan Mulligan and a tan Cafe Racer - would do it. Then a wool overcoat and a cotton chore coat. One jacket you might well end up disliking through lack of choice. One jacket would be like trying to find one pair of shoes for everything.

I have an olive waxed cotton Barbour International which is the perfect (for me) every-jacket-that-isn't-leather option.

I'm thinking now I might get a Five Star G8 in brown that I can layer under the Barbour for weather, or over an armoured Kevlar base layer for the bike, or over a t shirt for casual and warm weather.

A modular two-jacket solution for everything. And gives me the chance to dream of looking as cool as General Truscott.

150521162102-general-lucian-truscott---restricted-super-169.jpg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I would love to be a minimalist. I have ten (low by tfl standards) but could easily exist with 4 (4 season location). Choosing one in the morning actually doesn’t make me happy. It makes me feel like some are not getting worn enough. I suppose the same goes for boots. I think i would like doing the Tom Ford.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Guys you gotta stop buying jackets seriously. Beyond 4, they ain't doin' anything for you, you just piling up on random clothes.
True. Been there a few times. Went from excess to everything fits in three suitcase, then repeat. I’ve got a potential move coming up, so it could be purge time again soon. Until then, stuck in traffic in the Norshor Tweedy:
7F7287A6-B741-4A6D-A1BA-A8C375566AF3.jpeg

Joshua Holland

Familiar Face
I've been reading about all the troubles over at Lewis Leathers, and my hopes for a second LL, a sheepskin Dominator (first was a Cyclone), seemed maybe a ways off (not to mention the cost). But a Dominator popped up on Ebay, which I was positive wouldn't fit me, since stock and other people's jackets never do (being as long and lean as I am). However the measurements seemed to line up, and for a pre-owned-for-a-few-years-but-never-worn-outside jacket at $600 (and after a bunch of questions to the seller) I nervously pulled the trigger. It showed up today (two days earlier than expected) and I was shocked at how well it fit. Sleeves are never long enough for me but these do the trick (maybe, just maybe, could have another 1/4 inch). Find of the year for me.

Attachments

• LLDom01.jpeg
    LLDom01.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 119
  • LLDom02.jpeg
    LLDom02.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 116
I've been reading about all the troubles over at Lewis Leathers, and my hopes for a second LL, a sheepskin Dominator (first was a Cyclone), seemed maybe a ways off (not to mention the cost). But a Dominator popped up on Ebay, which I was positive wouldn't fit me, since stock and other people's jackets never do (being as long and lean as I am). However the measurements seemed to line up, and for a pre-owned-for-a-few-years-but-never-worn-outside jacket at $600 (and after a bunch of questions to the seller) I nervously pulled the trigger. It showed up today (two days earlier than expected) and I was shocked at how well it fit. Sleeves are never long enough for me but these do the trick (maybe, just maybe, could have another 1/4 inch). Find of the year for me.
Congratulations!

Observe

One Too Many
Looks like a good fit to me, congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112