Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
It’s over 60 degrees. 2001 Expedition prototype weather.
IMG_4501.jpeg

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Does it get spots if you flick water on it and have you tried wiping the whole thing down with a damp sponge or washcloth? I've done that to the two natty jackets I've got and it seems darken them slightly. I tend to wear them when it's sunny. When I'm not wearing them, I sometimes hang them across from/near windows with afternoon exposure, and air them outside on sunny days that I'm staying home as well.
The bodies posted a short time ago that got the water treatment both aged quite dramatically, as well, which makes me think yours might react similarly.
I've been rather cautious with the jacket not knowing how getting water or some other liquid on it would affect the finish. I did get a small spot of water on the right cuff and it left a mark that faded within an hour or so. In addition, I did apply some Zaino 'Leather In A Bottle' leather conditioner to the hide - there were a few dark spots that appeared (maybe due to the inconsistent finish applied to the hides) but they faded away to a certain extent - no real blotchy areas remained. I guess I'll just have to enjoy wearing the jacket and not worry about keeping it in pristine condition. The hide is extremely nice in every way so hopefully it will season up over time without looking like I've been living under an overpass for years.

The sun exposure I initiated yesterday changed the color to a bit more brownish tan compared to the unexposed areas. I think it looks better - kinda knocked down the very slight yellowish hue.

BTW, I recall a post you made a while back - you were wearing a brownish tan trucker style in a slim fit. I think your son was with you. You were wearing some brown cap toe footwear that I am curious about. Do you have any info on them and if they may be available online? Thanks for any info you could provide.

Last edited:

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
I've been rather cautious with the jacket not knowing how getting water or some other liquid on it would affect the finish. I did get a small spot of water on the right cuff and it left a mark that faded within an hour or so. In addition, I did apply some Zaino 'Leather In A Bottle' leather conditioner to the hide - there were a few dark spots that appeared (maybe due to the inconsistent finish applied to the hides) but they faded away to a certain extent - no real blotchy areas remained. I guess I'll just have to enjoy wearing the jacket and not worry about keeping it in pristine condition. The hide is extremely nice in every way so hopefully it will season up over time without looking like I've been living under an overpass for years.

The sun exposure I initiated yesterday changed the color to a bit more brownish tan compared to the unexposed areas. I think it looks better - kinda knocked down the very slight yellowish hue.

BTW, I recall a post you made a while back - you were wearing a brownish tan trucker style in a slim fit. I think your son was with you. You were wearing some brown cap toe footwear that I am curious about. Do you have any info on them and if they may be available online? Thanks for any info you could provide.

Those are White's Bounty hunter in natural Maryam horsebutt. Don't know if they still carry the leather, but I ordered them through Baker's in Oregon and it might be worth contacting them if you don't see the leather on their website. Nick's boots also carried the leather and it starts out near lily whitish tan, but I wear them rain shine and have gotten beer, mud and blood on em and they darkened quickly (which I like).
As for your jacket, I think any route you go, it's going to look fantastic. I'm also impatient, and enjoy the evolution of things. Bugs me when things look to pristine. You may have already seen the blog, but if not I would check out a blog called vintage engineer boots and see how that guy treats his lighter leathers... he get's truly epic patinas on everything and it's pretty neat.
http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/p/mf.html?m=1

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Those are White's Bounty hunter in natural Maryam horsebutt. Don't know if they still carry the leather, but I ordered them through Baker's in Oregon and it might be worth contacting them if you don't see the leather on their website. Nick's boots also carried the leather and it starts out near lily whitish tan, but I wear them rain shine and have gotten beer, mud and blood on em and they darkened quickly (which I like).
As for your jacket, I think any route you go, it's going to look fantastic. I'm also impatient, and enjoy the evolution of things. Bugs me when things look to pristine. You may have already seen the blog, but if not I would check out a blog called vintage engineer boots and see how that guy treats his lighter leathers... he get's truly epic patinas on everything and it's pretty neat.
http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/p/mf.html?m=1
Thanks for your reply and info on the boots and link. Cheers!

barnabus

One Too Many
I think jackets is over for me for now. The last two weeks I've been out for my Saturday morning hike in the woods in just a t shirt, and was plenty warm.

This afternoon I went into town in just a t shirt and I was boiling.

That might be that, unless I'm riding, until probably September I reckon.

Al 916

One Too Many
I think jackets is over for me for now. The last two weeks I've been out for my Saturday morning hike in the woods in just a t shirt, and was plenty warm.

20 today, but getting chilly again in the Shires tomorrow......

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars

We kind of went from jacket to vest weather in one day here in Maine Lol. I’m sure things will change back but it felt pretty good going for a ride with just a t-shirt and a vest.

Motocann

One Too Many
Waiting for cab to the airport while traveling in Italy last week - Aero Board Racer in Kewpie green horsehide. I listed this jacket on the classifieds after I bought it from the Aero showroom last year - felt a little too fussy for me - but I’m glad it didn’t sell. It’s my go-to traveling jacket now. The leather is light weight and tough…surprisingly comfortable to wear on a plane. View attachment 514968
Beautiful jacket! Italy? I’m jelly!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Waiting for cab to the airport while traveling in Italy last week - Aero Board Racer in Kewpie green horsehide. I listed this jacket on the classifieds after I bought it from the Aero showroom last year - felt a little too fussy for me - but I’m glad it didn’t sell. It’s my go-to traveling jacket now. The leather is light weight and tough…surprisingly comfortable to wear on a plane. View attachment 514968
The jacket is really super cool. You can literally see the travel jacket on it. You're lucky you didn't sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80