Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

X83

One of the Regulars
The threshold to trigger import duties is $800, but third party carriers (FedEx, UPS, DHL) scam you in a sense by calling import tax when in reality it's their convenience fee. In my experience third party carriers are usually able to move stuff through customs quicker as opposed to the global postal system. With post I've had stuff sit for weeks waiting to clear.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the "convenience fee" knowing that it'll probably get to me quicker, but what irks me is that they try to hide it as being related to import tax when in fact that's complete bs.
Thank you also for helping me understand
You US folks have it so good! Up to $800 tax free!!!

UK is £135!!
ooooo boy I had no idea so is it better for y’all to order let’s say two or three things from aero at a time or not

mvilla

A-List Customer
I thought it was like £50...
It's VAT that is charged on anything above £39

"VAT
VAT is charged on all goods (except for gifts worth £39 or less) sent from:

outside the UK to Great Britain
outside the UK and the EU to Northern Ireland
VAT is not charged on goods that are gifts worth £39 or less."

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

so yeah... 20%, even worse than import duties lol

Ole K. Vik

A-List Customer
First wear for me... Freewheelers 37J1

20230531_200632.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It's VAT that is charged on anything above £39

"VAT
VAT is charged on all goods (except for gifts worth £39 or less) sent from:

outside the UK to Great Britain
outside the UK and the EU to Northern Ireland
VAT is not charged on goods that are gifts worth £39 or less."

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

so yeah... 20%, even worse than import duties lol

Yeah, used to be GBP16 for VAT, I think.... As I recall, last time I ordered something in from the US (which I haven't since the pound dropped down the u -bend in 2016), it was:

import tax at 4.5% - on the cost of the item *and* the shipping

Then VAT at 20% on top of that total.

In 2008, it was well worth paying that and the shipping, as things were so much cheaper coming rom the US. In 202, it very much is not!

I don't know if it went through, but not so long ago, the European Union was looking to raise the overall personal allowance for goods physically brought back by folks on holiday from somewhere around e150 to e1000. No idea where they are with that now, though obviously that won't benefit those of us in the UK.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Yeah, used to be GBP16 for VAT, I think.... As I recall, last time I ordered something in from the US (which I haven't since the pound dropped down the u -bend in 2016), it was:

import tax at 4.5% - on the cost of the item *and* the shipping

Then VAT at 20% on top of that total.

In 2008, it was well worth paying that and the shipping, as things were so much cheaper coming rom the US. In 202, it very much is not!

I don't know if it went through, but not so long ago, the European Union was looking to raise the overall personal allowance for goods physically brought back by folks on holiday from somewhere around e150 to e1000. No idea where they are with that now, though obviously that won't benefit those of us in the UK.
Yeah, well... That's life, I guess... :(

Viking752

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points