Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Al 916

One Too Many
Cal looks so much cooler. Nothing wrong with the RMC. But the Cal looks real. RMC looks like it’s trying to look like what the Cal already is.
That's rather poetic talk there Ton (I like that)

Yep, what Ton said, Cal

1000011967-01.jpeg
1000011176-01.jpeg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 602796 What do you guys like better
The mobster or Cal
View attachment 602794

I'm also a (slightly) larger fan of the Cal itself.

That said, since it appears you are fortunate to own both, take on the Mobster and break it in, enjoy it and use it, and most of all do a nice review of it periodically. Is the leather on the Mobster anywhere near as thick and durable as the Cal?

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Gonna be the contrarian and give it to the Mobster

The open badge holder is bit of an eyesore... but that's just me. Who knows? maybe that's the badge of honor.
That's not to take away from the rest of the cal, which looks great otherwise and is the real deal

Observe

One Too Many
The Mobster is still new and shiny looking which makes it look less cool. I feel like if you put that jacket through the ringer it would be a closer call between it and the Cal. I also like the button cuffs on the Mobster, wish that was something you could get on newer CHP straight zips. That being said, I do hate the dog shit zippers RMC puts on their repros. Never again will I fuss with such a thing. All the mental gymnastics in the world won't let me have a north of $2k jacket with a maddeningly impractical zipper.

My vote is the Cal. I'm biased though; I recently purged my closet and sold a 46L Cal CHP cross zip, and I've come to regret it. A straight zip like you have would be perfect to me.

Davidchee5

New in Town
I'm also a (slightly) larger fan of the Cal itself.

That said, since it appears you are fortunate to own both, take on the Mobster and break it in, enjoy it and use it, and most of all do a nice review of it periodically. Is the leather on the Mobster anywhere near as thick and durable as the Cal?
Thickness? Not even close, the cal is one heavy gal. But durability is another question. In terms of construction I may have to give it to the mobster because like many vintage pieces, the cal has a few loose stitches and the fabric at the bottom of the zip is starting to fray, wereas the rmc is clean and tight with no weakness, and the bottom of the zip has a metal cover.

In terms of resistance to water damage- thats an open question. I think there both fairly decent, though the cal likely has the edge but maybe someone can enlighten me further.

In terms of potential for aging- the cal has achieved a beautifully developed grain and overall feels like a second skin. But the core is grey. There is not much showing, and what is showing actually adds to the aesthetic. But Im apprehensive about how it will look if more and more of it starts to show. The rmc is shinki, pigment finished, and is clean as a baby's bottom, though it does have some nice grain out of the box. It is a solid mid weight hide, with a pretty heavy hand. But as far as its potential goes, there is only one way to know for sure and Im fixing to find out ;)

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 602819

1947 Sears Hercules picked up from @Jiaward
You chose well. I was a little distracted, too late. This particular Hercules is seldom seen in. It is a unique blend of vintage CSC jackets; the pockets and cuffs. Reminds me of a favorite CSC jacket I have from 1939.

If you ever choose to part ways you will find a line of interest. It is special.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
New (to me) early 80s 618–a vinted purchase that came with a free 3 pack of matching nail varnish and sadly also a garish Harley patch—I mind the stitch holes less than the patch.

Feel like this is almost the ideal fit—sleeves, shoulders and chest are perfect(o). But the waist is *tight*—it does up fine, but not over a belt so I have to wear it with lower rise jeans than I like…

IMG_7846.jpeg
IMG_7894.jpeg
IMG_7895.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner