Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dannyk

One Too Many

Attachments

• 152DA987-0E09-4CE6-86F8-B89C8A44D539.jpeg
    152DA987-0E09-4CE6-86F8-B89C8A44D539.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 121

marmalademan

Banned
@ton312

I've worn them under sized correctly sized and oversized. it just seems to me that the leather is too heavy.

Looking at a great fitting example like your CR makes me rethink, but then I snap out of it when I recall the day to day reallity

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Thor,
I owned a Brando type motorcycle jacket I bought from Excelled back in the 70's when I visited their factory in Edison , NJ.
Owned it for many years till I eventually grew out of it. I know you have a LW G-1 among other nice ones. What sets this Excelled G-1
apart that it's a favorite?

Brian
Hi Brian @saucerfiend,
The LW G-1 is definitely a nicer, higher quality jacket and it has gorgeous honey colored mouton and superb goatskin but this Excelled fits great, has above average goatskin as well as the added appeal of being a Navy-issue jacket (with the white Mil-spec label inside). For me there’s just something special about finding a real-deal, Navy issued G-1 that fits perfectly and has the weathering, patina, and “battle scars” of a genuine Navy flight jacket.

thor

One Too Many
36EF5408-9C78-4ED3-BB20-11BAA74718B2.jpeg
9C79C3A2-E681-426B-83DD-7AD5B6620CF3.jpeg

Today it’s a custom M-422a Willis & Geiger jacket made by Steve Sellers. The goatskin he used was a batch of French vegetable tanned goat that is buttery soft and incredibly grainy. Steve said that this was the same russet goatskin that John Chapman used on some of his russet brown goatskin A-2’s in the past.
As some can attest, the only “problem” with having an extensive leather jacket collection is finding the time to wear them all on a regular rotation!:confused::rolleyes::D

marmalademan

Banned
This modern Lee thin denim rider jacket that I wear as a shirt. It's ideal for hot places where mosquitos and sun need to be kept from your skin. I really like the pocket config on it, and the one at the back is especially handy for when I'm out and about on my bike

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_002916.jpg
    IMG_20180409_002916.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20180409-024932_20180409025057622.jpg
    Screenshot_20180409-024932_20180409025057622.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 125
@ton312

I've worn them under sized correctly sized and oversized. it just seems to me that the leather is too heavy.

Looking at a great fitting example like your CR makes me rethink, but then I snap out of it when I recall the day to day reallity
I get it man. You're certainly not alone, plenty of people lament CXL...different strokes for different folks.

dannyk

One Too Many
I get it man. You're certainly not alone, plenty of people lament CXL...different strokes for different folks.
In my 2 years or so of creeping this page @ton312 Ive seen you handle plenty of CXL and some Vansons. And you just compared Vanson comp. weight to CXL. Ive had a ton of Schotts in varying hides and weights; and a couple Vansons all in comp. weight and hopefully the Vanson for Harley Cycle Champ in the x150 or heritage XL which will be new to me; in this years jacket budget. But I’m also seriously considering a STF Bootlegger in CXL. I’ve heard that Vanson comp. weight is thicker/heavier but CXL is stiffer. In your estimation does that sound about right?

In my 2 years or so of creeping this page @ton312 Ive seen you handle plenty of CXL and some Vansons. And you just compared Vanson comp. weight to CXL. Ive had a ton of Schotts in varying hides and weights; and a couple Vansons all in comp. weight and hopefully the Vanson for Harley Cycle Champ in the x150 or heritage XL which will be new to me; in this years jacket budget. But I’m also seriously considering a STF Bootlegger in CXL. I’ve heard that Vanson comp. weight is thicker/heavier but CXL is stiffer. In your estimation does that sound about right?
I'd say CXL is heavier (not by much), more oily and a bit softer than Vansons comp weight. The last new Vanson I had felt like concrete. Takes much, much longer to soften up. A new Vanson requires real break-in. CXL Aero is relatively tame by comparison.

dannyk

One Too Many
I'd say CXL is heavier (not by much), more oily and a bit softer than Vansons comp weight. The last new Vanson I had felt like concrete. Takes much, much longer to soften up. A new Vanson requires real break-in. CXL Aero is relatively tame by comparison.
Good to know. I definitely see a bootlegger in CXL Steer. I have two Vansons in comp which are obviously steer. And I have 4 Schotts in varying horse. Need more steer and based on how happy you are with your CXL steer I 100% see a steer BL in my future. Probably a brown or some brownish/russet color.

powersci

One of the Regulars
Looks like a good fit, but i thought for sure you’d be using the extra winter weather to rock the D1

I was eager to give the new jacket a try. My seal brown D-1 is with a new owner somewhere in New York and my new redskin D-1 got its fair share of wears this winter. I'm ready for Thursday; 50-60 degrees, right? Wear your ANJ while you can!

Peacoat

Bartender
@ton312

Seb Lucas is sensitive to the "weight" of leather jackets also, but until you joined up, he was the only one I saw complain about the weight. He likes a weight of about 2 oz. if I remember correctly. For me it isn't the weight, as I don't feel it, even in a 4 oz. leather, but it is the initial stiffness. Once the jacket is broken in, especially the CXL FQHH, it is soft as warm butter (well almost as soft). There must be others out there who think the "weight" of a 3 oz. jacket is too much, but I don't remember them expressing that opinion.

I've been wearing Aero's CXL FQHH since 2000 and have several now. It and Vanson's comp steer are my favorite leathers so far. The weight doesn't bother me and after breaking in the 'new' stiffness it wears even better.
This marmalade way of coming across as if you don't agree with me you are either ignorant...one of a few...misinformed or denying reality is sure getting old.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm loving my CXL burden:) I've never felt it's hard to wear past about the first 5 minutes. Coming straight out of the box yeah but I still maintain next to Vansons comp weight (when new), CXL feels like melted butter on hot toast. And it smells like HEAVEN!
View attachment 113538
View attachment 113539
Might be a "Burden", but that jacket sure looks great! I picked up a CXL Steerhide last year. Didn't wear it much this past winter, not because it is too heavy, but because it doesn't get that cold here. Love the leather.

Jacket 2.jpg

Jacket 6.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
@tropicalbob

Bob you've put forward an amazing case for cxl there fair play to you, and I wish I could get behind it. Believe me I've tried

I've had cxl jackets with years on the clock that were as soft as cxl can ever be. But even in that state it was not a jacket that could be worn all day without the weight of the thing eventually making it uncomfortable to the point that carrying it is definitely preferable to wearing.

So while im happy that you and Ton and others can enjoy it I'm sad that I just cannot. I do know what I'm talking about and that is the situation at my end. Whether I am overly sensitive or not I still cannot help but believe that it is only a small minority of leather jacket wearers who can happily wear cxl for long periods of time outside of riding.

Yours is a long aero HB yes Bob, which must weigh a ton and I'm sitting here wondering when it is worn for how long it stays on your back? For me more than an hour and it's gonna need to come off. Hence leathers that could be worn all day if needs be are my preference

For reference, yes I know that it's all opinion, I thought that was a given. I am merely expressing opinions

I agree with this too. Over the years at least 5 or 6 others have expressed similar views here. We are in the minority. I personally dislike heavy clothing, I live in a warm country and run warm so that's my excuse. I'm six two and 185 pounds so it's not about the effort to wear heavy leather. It's just not enjoyable.

Even in winter I rarely need more than a denim jacket - granddad length, of course.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Really cold winters and it's a wool overcoat or a wool peacoat. I'm more of a fan of mid-weight Aero hides and goat hides than the full-weight stuff. I had a Stockman made in the lightest FQHH because there's just too much of the thing otherwise. I don't ride, so durability of mid-weight vs. full-weight isn't really an issue. I definitely rate the drape of goat highly. And it seems really tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto