Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

marmalademan

Banned
@Seb Lucas

Perhaps amongst the busiest posters hrere we are a minority. But outside of here there's no doubt we represent the overwhelming majority. I also strongly suspect that the silent majority on these pages sees it our way too,

With the fiercely pro cxl crew I wonder how long these guys actually wear their jackets for at a time. I imagine that most probably wear it to work and take it off then repeat on the way home. Which of course is never gonna be a problem

Come on man....you never fail to come across as representing yourself as elite or to be condescending somehow someway. If you can find someone in agreement with you it seems to enhance your offensiveness. Why not just state your opinion without all the obnoxious disparaging added remarks?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some people like heavy jackets, some don't. I don't see why thats such an issue?

I had a CXL Steer Board Racer and would wear it all day no problems, same for my FQHH Bootlegger. When I say all day, I mean all day, not just an hour to the office etc...all day.

zebedee

One Too Many
It's strokes for folks, right? I have a heavy steer Aero that is car coat length and double-breasted. In really, really heavy rain, it's been unbeatable. Apart from a suit jacket or a work blazer, I can't think of a jacket of any weight that I'd wear all day unless I was outside (being a teacher, I am not outside that much in the day). Some of the folks on here with the deity-weight jackets become them incredibly well.

Yep..I don't just wear my CXL FQHH jackets to work and back...cause I don't work and haven't for 18 years. I retired at 52. Yet I can still easily carry that leather on my shoulders without any misery. I don't get the big deal about it either. However there must be thousands afraid to speak up that surely must agree with marmalademan. It is different strokes for different folks even if there are those who consider anyone different than them as fiercely unsuitable.

zebedee

One Too Many
Only difference I've really noticed is flexibility, which has always been most apparent with goat (IMO) although my old Highwayman in FQHH is pretty flexible now. Don't think I'd want anything thinner than Aero's goat- I have confidence I couldn't rip it, but a thinner hide, I wouldn't feel sure, although I've owned thin jackets that have never ripped or worn through.

marmalademan

Banned
Everyone can see how good looking cxl is, and how
well it ages is indisputable

Yet Good Wear, Himel, Eastman, Bill Kelso, Real McCoys, Mtster Freedom, all the other primo Jap makers and Thedi don't use it. Hmm

I wonder is that because they just don't know what good leather is, or could it be because they lack the required skills set to work with the mighty cxl?

Whatever the reason, I'm sure it has nothing to do with cxl being too heavy.

Perhaps JC should give whosyerdaddy a call and get brought up to speed lols

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
@Seb Lucas

Perhaps amongst the busiest posters hrere we are a minority. But outside of here there's no doubt we represent the overwhelming majority. I also strongly suspect that the silent majority on these pages sees it our way too,

With the fiercely pro cxl crew I wonder how long these guys actually wear their jackets for at a time. I imagine that most probably wear it to work and take it off then repeat on the way home. Which of course is never gonna be a problem

I won't belabor the point, but I fail to to see why so much of what you write is adversarial; a contest to be won. Or maybe you just like to stir the pot.

Regardless, the almost never used Ignore button will come in handy right about now. This thread is too good to have it interrupted this way.

I wore my CXL steer CR all but maybe 3 or 4 hours out of the day yesterday. To target>grocery store>Kids Birthday party>taco joint.
There are plenty of folks who don't prefer CXL... that's totally OK by me. I wish more felt that way...would reduce the wait time on all those out of stock CXL hides!

casechopper

Schott Car Coat with Wings + Horns Sweater

GMgCC0Ph.jpg
ZZMQzQ8h.jpg
w0r1jS2h.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
CXL is great. It's stiff when new, stiff when cold, and a little heavy. I think it's good, but not the most comfortable to wear. If you ride a lot, then it's great. If you're wandering around town, a lighter leather might be more comfortable. That's ok.

I think there is a demographic that latches on to the 'weight' image and equates only that point with quality regardless of what style of jacket they want and how they will wear it (e.g. out to a bar, rather than riding). There's nothing you can say to those kinds of people that would make them consider a lighter hide that's 'softer' to wear. The same kind of people that are out there buying the heaviest, stiffest cardboard like denim because, well, 'more' is 'better'. And heavier and stiffer is more 'manly'.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
CXL is great. It's stiff when new, stiff when cold, and a little heavy. I think it's good, but not the most comfortable to wear. If you ride a lot, then it's great. If you're wandering around town, a lighter leather might be more comfortable. That's ok.

I think there is a demographic that latches on to the 'weight' image and equates only that point with quality regardless of what style of jacket they want and how they will wear it (e.g. out to a bar, rather than riding). There's nothing you can say to those kinds of people that would make them consider a lighter hide that's 'softer' to wear. The same kind of people that are out there buying the heaviest, stiffest cardboard like denim because, well, 'more' is 'better'. And heavier and stiffer is more 'manly'.
This is well stated. I've noticed a tendency in the clothing forums (emphasis on the plural) to always buy the best, the leading model, etc. Even when for most users a middle-range model would be best. Same thing with cars, I guess. WTF use is a car with a top speed of 250 mph or a 0-60 of 2 seconds? Unless you're on a racetrack each weekend, it's useless posing.

casechopper

I like heavy and light leather jackets. The heavy Lost Worlds type of bulletproof leather is great for riding in. It doesn't flap around and shrugs off rain like nothing. Lighter leathers are much more comfortable to wear and don't constrain movement and weigh you down as much. If I'm going to the mall or being active then I prefer a lighter jacket. If I'm riding to work in the rain then the heavier ones get used.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I too enjoy both lighter and heavier leather. Although I’ll readily admit that goat is more comfortable than cxl steer, in my mind cxl is not overly heavy. I’ve worn cxl jackets 8-10 hours straight without it feeling as a burden. But of course different people will experience this in different ways.

In my experience heavier hides like cxl are more uncomfortable in tight fits than lighter leather. When breaking in my tight fitting 30’s half belt it actually gave me bruises until it softened up. But after a week of all-day wear it became comfortable to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy