What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

2. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

3. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Just picked up this 1950s Windward belted steerhide jacket. Unlike many others of this vintage, it still has the button-in belt. So I suppose without the belt it would be defined as a halfbelt?

It's in great shape, just a little minor discoloration at the bottom of the quilted lining. It has a light smell of oil and gasoline, which seems to fit somehow. Like a gas station attendant might have worn it.

Love the graining, the two-button cuffs, and the interior navy blue storm cuffs, which are all intact. Pockets all intact, and it also has the original size tag.

I'm not sure if I like it with or without the belt. I assume the buckle is original. If I go with the belt, where does one put it when unfastened/jacket unzipped? In the pockets as shown?

Maybe that's why so many of these belts go missing--people just took them off and tossed them in a box in the closet where they sat forgotten?

IMG_6985.JPG IMG_7019.JPG IMG_7027.jpg IMG_7029.JPG IMG_7038.jpg IMG_7039.jpg IMG_7040.jpg IMG_7041.jpg IMG_7042.jpg

4. Whitters

Whitters New in Town

Himel heron out with my girl today...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

King B and Michael A like this.
  6. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

This arrived yesterday, so I'm wearing it to try it on a little,, as I'm still not really adventuring out of the house too much. But it's too nice a jacket to not keep putting it on.

Carhartt Sheffield. Their version of the N-1 deck jacket; this one in a sort dark navy (almost black) with a borg-type lining instead of the vintage-traditional alpaca (?) wool.

Ribbed storm cuffs. Manly canvas fabric, but not rigid, still soft and draping to a degree. Seems pretty warm, but lightweight and not stifling.

Very pleased![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  7. MegaLARP

MegaLARP Familiar Face

The same exact thing as the rest of the week in the same place in the same selfie in the same bathroom, with a different color t-shirt :cool::cool::cool:

I should probably just do that month long challenge thing

Attached Files:

8. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks barnabus. The shirt is some wool thing out of the 40s or 50s.

The new jacket looks great. And good to see you are up and around enough to wear it around the house at least.

Thanks,
    Michael

9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Spent 2 hrs “working on” this one today:
    93853051-0453-4EB4-8A36-2695AE2D7C6D.jpeg
    I’m going to do a thread over the weekend...looks a lot better after the Handymike Re-Dye.

King B, El Marro, Ayeteael and 16 others like this.
  10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

seres likes this.
  11. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Sweet Gamma. Love the Windwards.
    You can spin the belt around back and fasten it. Some did that instead of the pockets. Depends on how loose it is.
    B

12. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Thanks, I'll give that belt orientation a shot. Or I might just remove it and set it aside. Not sure yet.

The steerhide on this one is pretty darn nice. :)

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I was going to say. I want one!! That’s an Ali express purchase!? Looks flipping brilliant!

14. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Lost worlds suburban, size 44”. :)

15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Yep, this is a Large and it fits me at 38.
    The leather isn’t what we prefer, but after dyeing it down it looks really good. The hardware is crappy fake Talon.
    For the price, I’m very happy as I’ve wanted this style for years.

Michael A, ton312 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  16. NZJono

NZJono New in Town

Agree, nice style. I've also enquired about one and was told it can be ordered in Vincenza - however it's not returnable (unless an error is made by Aero).

Monitor likes this.
  17. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

I wholeheartedly recommend the standard leather they use for the 59’er. Thicker than Vicenza but a lot softer. Really easy to wear. Tons and tons of grain and character.

AeroFan_07, NZJono and Monitor like this.
  18. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Wait a second, that’s not a thedi? Looks really similar to one of his models.

handymike likes this.
  19. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It’s a Chinese knock-off of a Thedi. Wait for the thread- you’re gonna love some of the details. :rolleyes:

torfjord, AbbaDatDeHat and ton312 like this.
  20. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I’m dying to know what you did to the hide. I thought it looked good before but do think it looks better now.