Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Jiaward

One of the Regulars
Padded Cal. Seems immaculate but leather seems really thin. Needs to go in the box for the the wee musty smell.
C8EA603D-4DAB-4757-B7FA-0E4C34F84C87.jpeg
013B792A-645D-4EF4-B557-C233C06EAA21.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Vanson Enfield, bought from a fellow lounger and received yesterday.

The jacket is quite boxy, so I may lack half an inch in the shoulder department, but I really like the fit. The quintessential no-fuss jacket and a true pleasure to wear.

The leather: thick, chunky, butter-soft Competition weight. The “old” one.

Yes, I know, you told me it’s great and I chose not to really believe it. I was just too disappointed in the leather of my Chopper.
This is instantly one of my favourite hides. Feels good to know what all the hype is all about, and that it’s true. Even more striking how much the new(er) batches pale in comparison.
Not a convincing stunt from a marketing perspective to even call it the same.

Sizing: both my Vansons are size 42, but the Enfield fits easily half a size larger than the Chopper.

11818AD8-BAA7-422C-9DBB-0C7F37B197BD.jpeg

The jacket is quite boxy, so I may lack half an inch in the shoulder department, but I really like the fit. The quintessential no-fuss jacket and a true pleasure to wear.

Yes, I know, you told me it’s great and I chose not to really believe it. I was just too disappointed in the leather of my Chopper.
This is instantly one of my favourite hides. Feels good to know what all the hype is all about, and that it’s true. Even more striking how much the new(er) batches pale in comparison.

Sizing: both my Vansons are size 42, but the Enfield fits easily half a size larger than the Chopper.

View attachment 499197
I’ve got a Vanson e route myself. The older ones, right after the label turned to yellow text, are soo good. This ENF looks perfect on you! Well done!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 499197
Now that's a great looking jacket, congrats!

And yes, the old competition weight is amazing. Such a shame the tannery went out of business.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I’ve got a Vanson e route myself. The older ones, right after the label turned to yellow text, are soo good. This ENF looks perfect on you! Well done!

Thank you! You’ve of course been one of the TFL master jedis that never stopped advocating the pleasures of the “old” comp weight. ;)

I love war storys regardless of the level of truth, and I really thought the ”legend of the old Vanson” was one of them.

I stand corrected and very happy about it!

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Now that's a great looking jacket, congrats!

And yes, the old competition weight is amazing. Such a shame the tannery went out of business.

It really is.

”Competition Weight” is quite a concept. The name carries a lot of weight (pun more or less intended).
People have expectation, and mine were bitterly disappointed when I got my Chopper. Really unnecessary too, as it’s still a great, very well constructed jacket.

Vanson would be better off to stop using the name until they find something that at least resembles the old formula.

Sagar85

A-List Customer
Nice!

Is that the current batch? Leather looks much smoother than previous years. Mine (2020) basically is a spiderweb of popping grain.
This is from 2021 batch (brogueshop). Yes, it is surely smoother, stiffer and has a subtle sheen compared to 2019 and 2020 versions (in size 42 that fitted tight at shoulder) I tried before. Tbh, I do not have preference either way. Grainy/ spider webby look is one of the unique features of mulholland in general I think, and I love it as well.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
It really is.

”Competition Weight” is quite a concept. The name carries a lot of weight (pun more or less intended).
People have expectation, and mine were bitterly disappointed when I got my Chopper. Really unnecessary too, as it’s still a great, very well constructed jacket.

Vanson would be better off to stop using the name until they find something that at least resembles the old formula.
That’s a beautiful jacket. I was toying with the idea of buying a new Enfield but I’ve read multiple negative comments about the current competition weight. What exactly is the problem with it? I think someone said if they didn’t know better they wouldn’t even be sure it was leather.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This is from 2021 batch (brogueshop). Yes, it is surely smoother, stiffer and has a subtle sheen compared to 2019 and 2020 versions (in size 42 that fitted tight at shoulder) I tried before. Tbh, I do not have preference either way. Grainy/ spider webby look is one of the unique features of mulholland in general I think, and I love it as well.

Thanks. Yeah, I have hides both smooth and grainy (sometimes very), and it’s absolutely not a question of “better”. It’s more about variety (and preferences, of course).

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
That’s a beautiful jacket. I was toying with the idea of buying a new Enfield but I’ve read multiple negative comments about the current competition weight. What exactly is the problem with it? I think someone said if they didn’t know better they wouldn’t even be sure it was leather.

Hmm, that could have been me. I bought it from Thurston Bros. and glad I did, because I sure would doubt the authenticity otherwise.

The leather looks and feels very plasticky. It even has a vinyl-like sensation to the touch. The topcoat is shiny and it doesn’t really rub off with wear, it flakes off, leaving unsightly grey areas beneath.
The Chopper is a VERY sturdy jacket, with all the quilting and the iron-like kidney panel, so I guess this even adds to the ”artificial” feel of the leather.
The hide is totally resistant to any signs of age, character or patina (other than the flaking thing mentioned). I’ve beaten it hard for many years, but it looks essentially the same as always.

Don’t get me wrong: it’s a phantastic jacket, well worth the money. Construction is excellent and in the looks department it gets 11/10. Certainly one of the jackets I get most compliments from strangers when wearing it. I just cannot un-notice the deficiencies of the leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko