Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jeans are you wearing today ?

Edward

Bartender
@Edward
Did you think about trying C&A jeans?

They got four quality grades, here in Germany and the highest grade is fine. And true to size. Even the 2nd quality grade is not bad.

I had a few bits from C&A many years ago. They were one of a small handful of incoming businesses that remained in the Six Counties across the period known as 'The Troubles', a large store on Belfast's Royal Avenue. I remember them as being fairly decent for the money; I had a couple of suits from them when I was about sixteen and would have grown out of them quickly, so no idea of long term durability. I did have a couple of polo shirts from them I bought in London on Oxford Street in 1999; those weren't bad, though long grown out of now. Decent enough basics that at the time matched M&S but didn't cost M&S money. (M&S used to be somewhere people would go for 'brand quality' at a non-brand price, but their market dipped later on when they decided to make themselves a brand and charge brand money, as it were.)

No idea what C&A are like now, though - they closed all of their UK stores in 2000.

No idea what C&A are like now, though - they closed all of their UK stores in 2000.

Ah, sorry, I didn't know!
I got some jeans from their 1st quality grade and one skinny jeans from their 2nd quality grade and they are not really differing from classic jeans brands on the german market.
But I'm only speaking about standard N-sizes, not B-size (belly)/U-size (short)/ S-size (slink).

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Holy Post Archaeology, Batman! I know, but.... What's the rise like on these? I've been very leery of Lee for decades because of experience in my teens. Back until I think the late or mid-late 90s, Lee had a factory in County Down where you could buy seconds (though in truth it was typically impossible to find the flaw) for £12 a pair. At that time, most Lees were 325 a throw at full retail, and bog-standard Levi 501s were still £45 (well into the late nineties - that's about £90, Freddies type money now, in 2023 cash. They're dropped drastically in retail cost last I looked). Unfortunately, they were all the same low rise as 501s, desperately uncomfortable to me and I could never wear them. I know in recent years, though, they've brought out good cuts. Aero caught my eye on FB today with a load of 101s in black, which is calling to me. I was looking at the Cathcart latest collection ,but they're all blue, so maybe sale time.... I've got three pairs of blue jeans already, and I only wear them a couple of times a week (more often than I used to, granted, as they can be handy when I'm working from home and not leaving the house). A black pair would be welcome - not had black jeans since maybe 2005....

How heavy do you want them? These won't do if you demand over 15oz, but if you want a quality pair of denims that are a rung above the mall stuff, Cathcart's product really is nice - https://www.cathcartheritage.com/collections/denim-1

I posted this some years ago on this thread. Drives me up the wall when I'm trying to see whether they have a decent rise that puts the waistband actually on the natural waist rather than several inches south of it.
I am not sure about the European Lee which are for AFAIK everywhere but Japan and US. Edwin Lee Japan has made some oversized items in recent years because of the fashion trend in Japan and Korea.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to offend anyone but...
I am relatively sure that anyone who can halfway afford it will not buy jeans (or anything else) from C&A.
And twice not, when you can get jeans from well-known manufacturers for the same money (real denim excluded).

Over the years, I've come across C&A clothes from time to time at acquaintances' houses, and without exception, they were distinguished by a non-existent cut. I would put them on a par with H&M, Primark and Bershka. Only in a more conservative way.
some of my family member praise the quality of H&M so I avoid talking about clothes quality with my family. Uniqlo is much better in quality but again some people prefer H&M more "in your face" color and design than a quieter uniqlo.

MrProper

some of my family member praise the quality of H&M so I avoid talking about clothes quality with my family. Uniqlo is much better in quality but again some people prefer H&M more "in your face" color and design than a quieter uniqlo.
For my children, I also buy from H&M from time to time, because the clothes do not look childish, fit well and are contemporary. In addition, they only have to last a few months anyway, before the things no longer fit.
The experience with my clothes is rather moderate, because I like to have my things for a few years and that often does not work there. The name Fast Fashion comes not by chance.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
For my children, I also buy from H&M from time to time, because the clothes do not look childish, fit well and are contemporary. In addition, they only have to last a few months anyway, before the things no longer fit.
The experience with my clothes is rather moderate, because I like to have my things for a few years and that often does not work there. The name Fast Fashion comes not by chance.
my daily t-shirts last me 10+ years, I hate things that quickly change and deteriorate

Jasonissm

Practically Family
my daily t-shirts last me 10+ years, I hate things that quickly change and deteriorate
Maybe I have awful alien acidic sweat, t-shirts are seen as an inevitable replacement for me, last years, but eventually the friction and washing makes them thin and develop holes after a while, I don't think any t-shirt of mine will last 10+ years.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I was in Vietnam about 15 years ago, and visited historic Hoi An, a UNESCO heritage site, and also the bespoke tailors capital of the world (perhaps except Hong Kong). I did not have any plans to have anything made, but being in Hoi An and not having anything made seemed like a waste, so I had five black t-shirts made. Lol. After 15 years I still have two or three, not stretched at all, perfect. So in summary, like with any article of clothing, it is all about the fabric. A t-shirt made from a good fabric will last a long time. 99% of t-shirts are made from crap fabrics.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I have awful alien acidic sweat, t-shirts are seen as an inevitable replacement for me, last years, but eventually the friction and washing makes them thin and develop holes after a while, I don't think any t-shirt of mine will last 10+ years.
My daily tshirts are made from cotton pigue poloshirt fabrics they are very resilient and fades into mellow vintage color overtime, i buy the fabrics by weight 1 kilo and send it to street tailor to sew me bunch of tees, since cotton pigue has zero stretch the neck hole is crew style, these t shirts last me eternally.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I usually wear soft loopwheel t-shirts, feel amazing, none have died on me yet, but I have some jersey knit tees that have worn through. I also have a heavier Bronson t-shirt that is more stiff and looks like it will outlast the softer ones easily but not as comfortable for every day wear. I think lots of friction against my office chair will often break them down.

MrProper

I switched a few years ago to functional shirts from Odlo and icebreaker. Meanwhile, as good as exclusively the merino version.
Hold for years, unlike my T-shirts of various manufacturers. But I'm not a t-shirt guy anyway.

Rich22

Practically Family
I was in Vietnam about 15 years ago, and visited historic Hoi An, a UNESCO heritage site, and also the bespoke tailors capital of the world (perhaps except Hong Kong). I did not have any plans to have anything made, but being in Hoi An and not having anything made seemed like a waste, so I had five black t-shirts made. Lol. After 15 years I still have two or three, not stretched at all, perfect. So in summary, like with any article of clothing, it is all about the fabric. A t-shirt made from a good fabric will last a long time. 99% of t-shirts are made from crap fabrics.
You did well... my T-shirts made in Hoi An 12 years ago didn't survive 6 months of backpacking, due to the stitching failing rather than the fabric being a problem. They fit nicely while they lasted.

I have had T-shirts that survived a decade, though. Abercrombie and Fitch, for an example of a horrible company making something durable, had a briefly lived "premium" line about 17 years ago... $100 t-shirts... my ex bought me two as gifts. They were the nicest T-shirts I've ever owned, and I've never touched nicer cotton at any price point. No big ugly logos either. Haha.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
You did well... my T-shirts made in Hoi An 12 years ago didn't survive 6 months of backpacking, due to the stitching failing rather than the fabric being a problem. They fit nicely while they lasted.

I have had T-shirts that survived a decade, though. Abercrombie and Fitch, for an example of a horrible company making something durable, had a briefly lived "premium" line about 17 years ago... $100 t-shirts... my ex bought me two as gifts. They were the nicest T-shirts I've ever owned, and I've never touched nicer cotton at any price point. No big ugly logos either. Haha.

I still have couple of Big Shirts from Abercrombie and Fitch. From about 15-17 years ago, as well. Still weareable, but there is a small hole here and there. Good shirts.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
$1,600 pair of jeans... But only 12 pairs made...who’s buying a pair?

https://www.blueowl.us/collections/...hRUqIVfckfNPdQbzfrES7_TSjza3o6kcZcuBVc.LWJ3X3
IMG_7327.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackadder

H&M and Zara has a wider collection not just "in your face". Granted, people may be more interested in the street wear collection. Uniqlo on the other hand is mostly preppy, some sports or "mountain" styles(Japanese are into the "mountain" i.e. hiking style).
I have a pull-over band collar shirt that H&M made by copying LVC stuffs many years ago. The last item ( a couple of years ago) I bought from H&M is their copy of the US Marine or Navy baker pants in HBT. I know baker pants are quite common but H&M in that season uses the correct HBT cloth and copied the wider high waist cut whereas Uniqlo uses plain twill in their regular straight cut. I have also bought a couple of wide work pants from Zara during their winter sale last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner