Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hat is this?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
'Tis a homburg.

bk

Correction... 'Twas a homburg.
I've seen that done before, on purpose. I think some old-time actors and musician used to do that, but maybe somebody more familiar with vintage personalities would know better.
NB

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There also seems to be a thing with non-informed ebay hat sellers to punch out all the dents and photograph them appearing like Hoss' big dome western hat on Bonanza. Weird.:eusa_doh:

Dickie

New in Town
Aye, it's a shame it's a bit smashed up - I haven't seen many Homburgs in that colour... plus I think it might be a little small for me. It almost looks as if the lining was designed for that odd shape, though that might just be cos it's been smashed into that shape... I did recently buy a lovely Stetson Homburg made in 1968 under licence in England... Do you know if these hats which are made under licence are of a generally lower quality or not? It seems to be excellent quality - really firm but soft felt if you get me... Anyhow, thanks for the analysis...

warbird

One Too Many
A reblock is necessary when a hat becomes in such sad shape that it won't any longer hold a pleasant shape or it holds a bad shape that won't come out. Maybe it sat somewhere in a crushed state etc.. or maybe you simply want a hat to be a completely new shape and a thorough cleaning. To an extent you can shape your own hats, but when you can't you have it reblocked. A hatter does this by breaking the hat down to nothing but the fur felt, sweat removed, ribbon removed. After cleaning it is put on a block or form for shaping and sizing.

Many custom hatters do this, though I don't think Art does anymore. Jimmy Pierce has some examples on his site of hats he has reblocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn