Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Hats Can't You Stand?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Oh but every heavily pounced straight edge tall crown with 2 1/2 inch snap brim looks great. :) That is pretty much the way it goes on this board.

Yeah, that seems to be the board preference as far as fedoras go. Don't get me wrong, there are many fantastic looking hats of this variety on the board, but I think straight sides doesn't look as good as they could on some faces, mine probably included depending on the hat. Same goes with crown height. Sometimes, I think a hat is a tad bit too high to look the sharpest it could, but everybody has their opinion, and that's mine. I'm also not crazy about too much taper, or sometimes too low of a crown (in general, I like lower crowns, but 4 inches is the absolute minimum in height or it's too low).

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
The only hats I can't stand are the ones I can't afford. Right now that is pretty much all of them. I own a homburg, I don't like how it looks on my head but I like them on other heads. I am not a fan of the baseball caps with flat bills that kids wear 10 sizes too big. I am not a fan of western hats either. On any heads.

job

One Too Many
I laugh every time I see a country singer that probably comes from upstate New York that talks with no accent but sings with a real big southern one wearing a real big goofy looking western hat trying to sell himself as country.

Fuhgeddaboudit. We grow accents in New York too. I once went to a drug store to buy a tube of Chapstick and got directed to a Chinese restaurant.

I never met a hat I didn't like... on somebody.

will-rogers-by-icollectordotcom.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
I'd first like to address two comments from Members.

The Good: I know it's your preference, and I certainly respect that. But I think a Bowler/Derby (the right one) would look great for you. They do vary a bit in shape and proportions, some are much higher crowned than others. I think a medium crown with the right brim curl would suit you to a "t". I think it'd fit your features very well.

Now to Bowlerman (nice sequay, eh? ;)). Eight panel Newsboy cap. Again, the right one. It'd be awesome on you, and if your wife likes you in ball caps, I'll bet she'd love the Newsboy on you. But again, we all have our own preferences.

My own collection, this whole thing has been about expanding horizons. With that in mind, I like trying many different styles. Some may not work as well as others (or at all), but I enjoy the journey. It started with ball caps. While I don't currently have any from a sports team, the Detroit Tigers have been my team since I was little, and I've had several from them over the years. Probably time I got another, with them doing this well this late in the season!

But other ball caps (hated here by many I know) are still very desireable to me. Most advertise either a company or an interest (AOPA, Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association is one I wore to a lot of air shows- pilot yes, owner no, I spend far too much on my other pass times!). Nice ones from watch companies Breitling and DOXA have been worn to many related events (nothing better to top the head on a dive boat when heading back to shore after a day of diving the wrecks and reefs). And I have one with an emblem from the US Embassy in Baghdad (worked there for several months back in '06/'07). And those advertising for the Yankee Air Force (Member and supporter of the Yankee Air Museum) and the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. I like and sometimes wear all of these. Fedoras (and Newsboys, and Berets) were simply a natural extension of these to me really.

One type I really don't see myself getting into (though they are popular with and look good on others) is the "Cabbie" cap (or flat cap, which is sometimes also used for the Newsboy, Apple or Gatsby). Also know as an Ivy Cap, just really don't see myself in one. Wouldn't say I can't stand it though.

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems to be the board preference as far as fedoras go. Don't get me wrong, there are many fantastic looking hats of this variety on the board, but I think straight sides doesn't look as good as they could on some faces, mine probably included depending on the hat. Same goes with crown height. Sometimes, I think a hat is a tad bit too high to look the sharpest it could, but everybody has their opinion, and that's mine. I'm also not crazy about too much taper, or sometimes too low of a crown (in general, I like lower crowns, but 4 inches is the absolute minimum in height or it's too low).

Tall crowns draw more attention no matter the style (at least that is my experience). If I wear a Homburg in a less formal situation with a moderate crown height and say just over a 2 inch brim it draws no more attention than a similar porportion snap brim. Increase the crown height and everything changes regardless of style. I will wear a very short crown depending on the style. I say wear what makes you happy and be on with it. I am not into telling people what and what not to wear.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
We grow accents in New York too. I once went to a drug store to by a tube of Chapstick and got directed to a Chinese restaurant.

That's funny. It reminds me of the time that a certain family from Mexico City on holiday in the US was told to go to a location on a street called Valley Joe. They searched and searched but could never find it. Well, it turns out that the next street over was Vallejo! If you know how Spanish is pronounced this will give you a good laugh.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Oh but every heavily pounced straight edge tall crown with 2 1/2 inch snap brim looks great. :) That is pretty much the way it goes on this board.
:arated:

Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-P046883%2C_Mauerbau_Berlin%2C_Adenauer_und_Brandt_mit_Presse.jpg

"I speak on behalf of the Homburg hat, too long on this forum has the Homburg been swept aside and beaten down in the shadow of the wide brimmed, tall crowned fedora. I am here to say NO MORE! RISE AGAINST THE FEDORA's OPPRESSION! FIGHT FOR YOUR EQUALITY!" :p

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I only hate baseball caps. I'm not surprised by the stingy brim fedora pictured above that is snapped down in the back. They did the same thing with baseball caps. I hate baseball caps. I truly do.

Edward

Bartender
In terms of personal preference, I can't stand baseball caps. Personal thing - I wore them as a kid but realised by sixteen I don't care for how they look on me.... I think it's the glasses, maybe... they just look all wrong on me. Plus they only shade at the front, leaving the neck exposed - not Ideal sun hats. I do still have a couple of the more military style, though - cotton, flat top, stubby (about 2") bill, which I much prefer though even these are almost never worn now. Hate bowlers - some folks can carry them off, but I personally wouldn't be seen dead in one. Hombergs I love, though, and I'd take one of those over a bowler on any occasion and not feel out of place. Half the time I'd take a nicely bashed and pinched homberg over a fedora. The hats I hate most are probably the stereotypical cowboy hats, like these:

wkmain.jpg

It's impossible not to look a bit of a twit in these IMO - even if you are from Texas. ;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only hate baseball caps. I'm not surprised by the stingy brim fedora pictured above that is snapped down in the back. They did the same thing with baseball caps. I hate baseball caps. I truly do.

Personally I don't hate baseball caps per se, but I hate their overuse. Actually in the 1960s, because of their dominance in the culture previously, I used to hate fedoras.

I'll go even further. Because of the assertiveness (in movies I'm talking about, that's what I saw) of the wearers of fedoras and Open Road type hats, at that time I hated Open Roads also--think Cool Hand Luke. It was the association of highly assertive men trying to steamroll their worldview on everyone else (at least in the movies) that caused me to not like them. Same with fedoras. Now, forty-fifty years out, these hats are no longer associated with highly assertive people. Now, they're just hats, a style choice, and a minority one at that. Looking at it that way, now I like these hats. That's my attitude toward hats.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have to make my first trip to Texas in September. Will let you know how the twit thing works out!

:cheers1:

:lol:

Texas, Calgary, same difference. I believe I'd welcome those twits into my house anytime!

They're not really my type. I have half a notion that with a bit of patience and the right brim cutter, one could produce a very respectable fedora out of that hat. I'm sure it's lovely fur.

T Rick

Practically Family
I do like cowboy hats, but I have to admit, the modern "taco shell" shape is not my cup of tea. I will say that young lady in the photo would probably look good in any type of hat.
I believe that is a general trait amongst Princesses ;). Exceptions of course (HRH Camilla comes to mind, though she chose the title of Duchess over Princess).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany