Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Hats Can't You Stand?

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Shape, Color, Type, Material, Era.... What Can't You Stand?

I start by saying I hate CAPS of all kinds, Black Fedoras, Those Cloth Covered Stingy Things, and dare I say... Exaggerated Westerns.
HG108_HOGGS_Harris_8-Panel_Cap_CAT.JPG

Classic.Black.jpg

FedWC7653.jpg

10%2Bgallon%2Bhat.jpg

How about you?

job

One Too Many
I pretty much agree with you except with a black fedora. In fact every man who likes fedora's should have one. I don't have a problem with flat caps. Though I think they look better on boys. I would not wear one but that's just me.

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
In all honesty, none. I don't like cheap walmart hats. I think that its a shame people spend $30 on baseball caps but won;t spend at least $30 on a fedora. The more people wear brimmed hats, the more I can get away with without looking strange

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I do not "hate" any kind of hat. There are a lot I may choose to not wear, but to each his own and the more hat wearers the better for all of us.

I would not mind wearing a tweed cap in the right circumstances for example. I probably would not choose to wear a black fedora because I think it is more formal and that I have chosen to get myself a homburg (black or dark grey) for those occasions. But many people can wear a black fedora with no formality to it.

As for Western, exaggerated or not, I would not be seen in one here. But "here" is SE England; If I was in Texas or Wyoming, it would almost be de rigueur.

garenb

New in Town
Can't stand hats with brim snapped down in the back and up in the front. I see a lot of kids wearing them that way now. Maybe it's not the hat, but the wearers I can't stand.

0809112024-00.jpg

0809112025-00.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not "hate" any kind of hat. There are a lot I may choose to not wear, but to each his own and the more hat wearers the better for all of us.

I'm with Saint-Just on this one. I don't hate any kind of headgear, but there are plenty of kinds that I would not wear myself. Besides, as a hat-wearer I perceive myself as part of a minority. I'm not in any position (and really, are we ever?) to condemn other people's choice of headgear of perception of fashion. I wear what I like, and let the rest be :).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Saint-Just on this one. I don't hate any kind of headgear, but there are plenty of kinds that I would not wear myself. Besides, as a hat-wearer I perceive myself as part of a minority. I'm not in any position (and really, are we ever?) to condemn other people's choice of headgear of perception of fashion. I wear what I like, and let the rest be :).

Well said.

job

One Too Many
The thread is about YOUR personal opinion. You can wear what you want and please do but it's not wrong to voice what you like or dislike. I will not condemn anybody's choice of head-wear and so far nobody has. That's not the point of this thread.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
What hat you wear or you think looks good on you is what works for you . I say wear whatever you like. I wear all kinds of hats depending on my mood and the outfit I have on.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The thread is about YOUR personal opinion. You can wear what you want and please do but it's not wrong to voice what you like or dislike. I will not condemn anybody's choice of head-wear and so far nobody has. That's not the point of this thread.

By no means was I trying to sound preachy, nor did I think this was an "attack thread". Right off the bat I knew it was an opinion thread. What I stated is a personal opinion borne of an apathy that is a natural part of my personality.

Here's my contribution: there are only three types of hats that I have an aversion to. One is the popular "taco brim" western, another is the "walmart stingy", and lastly is the animal-print hat (like that leapord-print one that showed up on the Ebay Hats thread not too long ago lol).

HatsEnough

Banned

I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread most of the responses would be empty moralizing without just letting loose and having fun with it. Sigh.

So what do I "hate"?

All stingy brims. All of them.

Any purported fedora with something printed on it.

Those German thingies with the whisk brooms wired to them with the hanging rope as a ribbon.

Did I mention stingies?

We should wipe out the trilbys too.

Anything made of plaid or pinstripes.

Stuff with horns on them. What was with those Vikings, anyway?

Those hipster kids that wear the winter knit pullons all year long. Dude, it's 100 degrees out. Get a nice straw.

Ball caps on men unless they are A) playing baseball or B) working out doors. Ball caps are a kid's hat, not an adult's.

Leather hats.

Did I mention stingies?

hats.jpg

I can "stand" most any hat on the right person.
Hats that I won't wear & don't own because of how I think they look on me are derbies/bowlers, top hats, homburgs, flat caps, berets (I do own 1 BSA red beret because that was the uniform when I became an Eagle Scout in 1973), stingies, boaters, pith helmets, safari hats, & sombreros.
I basically own & wear ball caps, western hats, outback hats & fedoras. I do have 1 alpine hat that my mother brought back from a trip to Austria but I don't wear it.
I've seen examples of folks that look good in all these types of hats that I won't wear here in the Lounge. I just don't like how I look in them. That doesn't mean I can't stand those styles of lids....

Hoss Cartwright was the only person I've seen to be able to pull off a 10 gallon hat.

Or Tom Mix. Some years ago I believe I saw the very same hat for sale at the old Great Western Gun Show in Pomona, CA and obviously it was out of my price range. :(

Annex%20-%20Mix,%20Tom_01.jpg

HatsEnough said:
Those German thingies with the whisk brooms wired to them with the hanging rope as a ribbon.

You mean one of these? Though I must say that it would come in handy if you need a quick shave somewhere! lol
And don't forget Oktoberfest is just around the corner! :D
party0005.gif

oktoberfest_bavarian_hat_with_beer_stein_and_gamsbart2.jpg

germany-oktoberfest-opens-2009-9-19-7-40-40.jpg

Last edited:

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Stingy brims, I just want to ask "What the heck happened to the rest of your hat?" But I have seen a few ladies look quite stunning in a stingy brim.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hats are hats. As they say "different strokes for different folks" though there are MANY styles and types I would not personally wear. I guess my only "pet peave" about hats are those that are "perfect" crease and brim wise and look like they just sit on a shelf and are not worn and allowed to develop a style of their own. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24