Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
If we're going to have this conversation, maybe a good thing to ask would be 'Has anyone ever had a leather jacket turn 'gooey' from any treatment, or had stitching rot away due to treatment?', or 'Has anyone ever had their rotten stitching replaced?'
I'm not joking. These are things I worry about (maybe irrationally).

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I used evoo on my DIY wallet, it permanently darken the leather, but it also left permanent smell to it, at first it smelled like olive, but overtime (about 3-4 months) the smell got oxidized and mixed with the paper money and maybe sweat, and it doesn't smell nice. I have reconditioned it several time with lemon smelled stuff just to mask it. :p

Roma

A-List Customer
I have a lot of different types of Hyberds for my White's and Wesco boots and use them easily on my jackets. Never had any troubles. Of course, we should be careful about using dark oil on light jackets but all my jackets are pretty dark. The only issue is smell. After applying Hyberds my jackets smell for a few days but I try to leave a jacket alone hanging in the air for a few days after conditioning. For my Langlitz I use the conditioner which came in the box.

Отправлено с моего SM-T815 через Tapatalk

Roma

A-List Customer
I have a jar of Obenauf's at the moment I've used for boots. Do you guys think it's ok on an old jacket (it wasn't discussed too much in this thread) or should I order Pecards?
I think Obenauf's is pretty much the same as Huberd's, heavy duty and I use my Huberds on the jackets. No problems. Just note that if a jaacket is bright it could def get darker after conditioning with such heavy duty stuff.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
If you have been happy with the results on newer jackets, there is no reason to believe you would get a different result with an older jacket, and it really isn't that old. Probably old enough that conditioner wouldn't do any harm, and might even be beneficial.

Thanks. I hear an awful lot about Pecards around here - if I were to go that route, which would be the pick, the regular leather dressing or the "antique"?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If we're going to have this conversation, maybe a good thing to ask would be 'Has anyone ever had a leather jacket turn 'gooey' from any treatment, or had stitching rot away due to treatment?', or 'Has anyone ever had their rotten stitching replaced?'
I'm not joking. These are things I worry about (maybe irrationally).

I've had saddle soap, olive oil and Neatsfoot oil all degrade leather and destroy stitching. Olive oil went rancid and neatsfoot oil just had a corrosive effect. But I've also used Neatsfoot to good results. I'm more inclined not to use anything at all these days.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The beeswax and Neatsfoot oil just got delivered today, but I'm beginning to kind of like the sand color. It reminds me of some kind of desert uniform. Maybe I'll just leave 'em for awhile and see how they age. They were super-comfortable right out of the box, and I really don't want to screw them up as they don't make these anymore.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've had saddle soap, olive oil and Neatsfoot oil all degrade leather and destroy stitching. Olive oil went rancid and neatsfoot oil just had a corrosive effect. But I've also used Neatsfoot to good results. I'm more inclined not to use anything at all these days.

That's kind of how I feel about it. I doubt many wartime jackets got treated with anything.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've always wondered what frequency the majority of the owners vintage jackets conditioned their jackets. Most of the time we hear of them just sitting in the closet for decades.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Weren't Leather Honey a late 60s psyche band from SF? I think their one and only hit was 'Do The Oil Pull'. Good times.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
heheh, today I went to local DIY shop looking for conditioner, and bought a really lame named product "smartleather" the girl said it doesn't contain silicone, and it said it cleans, conditions individual fiber of leather, has UV protectant, non greasy, dry to touch, and add some "new leather smell"

when I sniffed the bottle, it smelled spicy, but once I applied on the leather it did smell like new leather somewhat, new chrome tanned leather. and I like the result, doesn't darken color, not sticky or oily, my fingers also feel nice and smooth (and smell like leather lol)

I found similar stuff at amazon, so probably it is a legit brand
http://www.amazon.com/Smartwax-30100-SmartLeather-Premium-Conditioner/dp/B0028SHNMU

Roma

A-List Customer
I've always wondered what frequency the majority of the owners vintage jackets conditioned their jackets. Most of the time we hear of them just sitting in the closet for decades.
I do it once a year just because I like the process and fresh or different look and smell of the leather with each jacket I have but I really do think they don't need conditioning at all At least so often.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
nick123 said:
Thanks for asking. I find when reading these threads what is usually missing is a detailed response to this hypothetical question: How old and in what condition was the jacket when you applied conditioner, and what evident changes did the conditioner make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran