Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Make You Nostalgic?

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
LadyStardust said:
This is going to sound strange, but often time I get the strongest waves of nostalgia when I happen to be entrenched in a completely modern situation/location. I just get these overpowering thoughts of just how out of place I am, and this is not my time, and how desperately I wish things were different. Other nostalgia triggers usually involve particular older homes, certain books, and sounds. Especially trains, for some reason. Whenever I hear trains, especially at night, it whisks me away to thoughts of a dim past I'm sure I knew.

Nope, not strange at all. I feel this way too sometimes. Can't explain it better than you, but it's a wierd feeling.

Makes me wonder what is out there that we all are not aware of...maybe it's a cosmic thing. who knows.......

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Whenever I hear a song by Chicago I flashback to the '70's and my schooldays. I heard "Searching For An Answer" in a store the other day and had to pause for a moment and remember some old times.

miss_elise

Practically Family
the smell of an empty reitmeester cigarette tin, smoke flavoured smarties, or lukewarm cans of fanta all remind me of my oma and opa

a glorious autumn (or spring) afternoon which is warm and cool both at the same time, with the slight hazy in the sky reminds me of europe...

wet wool blazers remind me of wintery rainy school days

tomato soup with brown toastsoldiers and electric blankets remind me of my nana and grandad's

Edward

Bartender
Smells
Christmas
Visinting places where I spent a lot of time as a kid, or my old university haunts
heavy rain (no idea why.... though if I have a day off, a day of good heavy rain, Gotham City style, is much preferable to the sun. Hot, sunny weather tends to depress me. [huh] )
Music - virtually any song I listen too will give me a flashback to when I first heard it, or some particular point in life when I first played that record a lot.

Oh.... and visiting my parents' house and being slotted back into that role of being the kid again...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Music - virtually any song I listen too will give me a flashback to when I first heard it, or some particular point in life when I first played that record a lot.

I'm the same way. I always say that songs are the mile-markers of my life because I've always loved music so much.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I lived on Riverside Drive near 125th St in Manhattan from 1947 till 1955. I've been in various parts of the world since, and have wound up spending most of my life here in New York. They moved our offices to 125th and lenox a few years ago, not far from m old nabe. I just had lunch at a nice little restaurant that was just within view of my old elementary school, PS 125, on Amsterdam and 123rd. "Nothing has changed, it's still the same". Memories of 1954 came flooding back. The same happens when I visit our old church, Riverside Church.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I can't really feel nostalgic about Golden Era related artifacts, in the sense of nostalgic being a desire to return to a previous time in one's life, literally or not. These things don't connect me to my own personal past, I can't even remember my grandparents having anything that stands out like that.

For me it is about 80's-90's pop culture, like seeing cartoons I watched or hearing music I'd heard. Some video games too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana